I remember Lute

BigDog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Springfield, Illinois
I remember Lute Olsen when he coached Iowa in the late 70's and early 80's. He was very respected then and there was lots of noise when he took the job at Arizona (something to do with his wife's health). I believe he even turned down more money from Iowa.

He is a Man's Man. He shows respect and gets respect.

Arizona won't blow a 20+ point lead. I look at them to win straight up, so I'll take a few paltry points. Not a big bet, though....just enough to be "interesting".

------------------
If you're not the lead dog, your view never changes.

BigDog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2001
Springfield, Illinois
The poor guys hair was white even back in the 70's.
smile.gif

------------------
If you're not the lead dog, your view never changes.

kcwolf

Forum Member
Aug 1, 2000
Iowa City
Hi BigDog,

As I remember it, Lute did a terific job at Iowa, but the spoiled Hawkeye fans wanted more and Lute got fed up with the whole ordeal.

I even remember way too much whining when they lost in the semi's to Louisville in the early 80's. That's when Ronnie Lester blew out his knee in the first half, ruining a promising NBA career. Louisville went on to win the championship that year. Iowa was having there way with the Cardinals until Ronnie went out.

Bottom line, Lute did so much at Iowa that wasn't appreciated enough. Thank god Hawk fans loved Bobbi, she was the classiest person I think I've ever met amongst coaching circles.

My heart will be pulling for the Cats Monday for Lute. While watching the Arizona win, I kept thinking about their zone defense. I felt that zone defense would be very effective against Duke if Duke were to play them in the championship game. I felt that defense could reduce the effectiveness of Duke's big weapon - the 3's.

Not betting the game, but feel Zona has a decent shot at winning this game.

kcwolf

Bet on MyBookie