Icicles and Gutter Guard

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Even with just 4 inches of snow my house has icicles hanging all the way around. The temp has been very cold since the snow. I had this problem two years ago and had them re-insulate mt attic. I called them back last year and they said they fixed the problem. But this year, first snow and icicles again!

I called the Gutter Helmut people and they want to sell me a heating coil that is thousands of dollars. I looked it up online and some are saying it is not a bad thing to have icicles with the gutter guard.

Any of you guys have experience with this?

REFLOG

Forum Member
Nov 17, 2002
The Dogpound
Is the attic well ventilated? Check soffit vents to make sure they did not block them when they did your insulation.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Is the attic well ventilated? Check soffit vents to make sure they did not block them when they did your insulation.

I asked them to be sure of that last time they came to fix the problem last year. Problem was that last year everyone had ice and a lot of people were worse than me. By the time they got to me the snow was gone!

But I am assuming the ventilation is ok.

I was thinking of taking the Gutter Guards off but they say I am better off with it on. :142smilie:142smilie of course those are the gutter guard guys saying that.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yW1uPsHyjRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yW1uPsHyjRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That guy doesn't know WTF he's talking about! Ice will freeze in the gutters and cause ice dams resulting in water backing up behind it and eventually that water will leak into your house.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Stop by a TruValue and ask a hardwarian. :0008

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
I have a snow rake. It does help. Thanks for the advice. I think I will see the Hardwarian girl. Shes cute.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
I have a snow rake. It does help. Thanks for the advice. I think I will see the Hardwarian girl. Shes cute.

I have a similar problem...I have a very long pole(;)) but my front is two stories....I`ve hung out the front windows and knocked those mofos off but that`s no fun and the neighbors think I`m out of my mind....

I`m going to try and put something over the attic door to improve heat loss issue early tomorrow before this shit hits the fan...but I think I probably need new gutters...getting too old to be farting around on the roof two stories up(dragging hoses up there ....I`ve had enough)......

what are we lookin`a at?...2-3 grand?...it`s not a huge house(4 bedroom).....I`m gonna have to get it done .....

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
I have a similar problem...I have a very long pole(;)) but my front is two stories....I`ve hung out the front windows and knocked those mofos off but that`s no fun and the neighbors think I`m out of my mind....

I`m going to try and put something over the attic door to improve heat loss issue early tomorrow before this shit hits the fan...but I think I probably need new gutters...getting too old to be farting around on the roof two stories up(dragging hoses up there ....I`ve had enough)......

what are we lookin`a at?...2-3 grand?...it`s not a huge house(4 bedroom).....I`m gonna have to get it done .....

I do the same, hanging out the windows breaking the ice. :scared

Bet on MyBookie