If losing continues, Sox could be losing veteran players too

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Rangers inquire about availability of Pierzynski

--Tribune reporter

? Roster changes could be on the way after the White Sox's latest debacle Sunday.

With four weeks until A.J. Pierzynski possesses rights to veto any trade, the White Sox have listened to at least one team about his services.

A source confirmed Texas inquired about the Sox's durable catcher. But a lengthy delay in the sale of the Rangers has raised the question of whether they could take on the balance of Pierzynski's $6.7 million salary, the source added.

Even so, the fact that the Sox (15-22) entertained an inquiry regarding Pierzynski speaks to their willingness to shake up an underachieving team, especially after a 5-3 loss to the Royals that dropped them eight games behind Minnesota in the American League Central.

Pierzynski is one of six starting position players batting below .250. And before Gavin Floyd blew a 2-0 lead, manager Ozzie Guillen said the Sox "stunk" and admitted it was general manager Ken Williams' right to make changes if he deemed necessary.

At the same time, Guillen defended his coaching staff.

"We do everything we can to make those guys better," Guillen said. "I know it. I fired three coaches (during his seven-year tenure) because I didn't think they're on the same page we were."

Guillen, who is signed through 2012, seemed more concerned with his staff than his status.

"I believe if this thing doesn't work, I'm not a princess or an icon or not that great," Guillen said. "If the team don't work the way it (should) be working, I'll be the first one to be blamed. That's the way this thing works in baseball or any sport."

"You don't produce, it's easy to fire one guy or two or three guys than 25. But I never talked to (Williams) about it. I don't blame him the way he feels. I don't blame the way he feels about my coaching staff. And the way he should feel about me. I don't blame him the way he feels about his players. We stunk."

As for Pierzynski, 33, he can become a free agent after this season. But his slow start makes it difficult for the Sox to receive full value in compensation. The Rangers, who lead the AL West, have three young catchers in Max Ramirez, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden, but none have emerged as a dependable starter.

That has left them with journeyman Matt Treanor, who doesn't have the experience or track record of Pierzynski.

The Sox's offense, meanwhile, has scored in only eight of the 45 innings on this seven-game trip that concludes Monday and Tuesday at Detroit.

Bet on MyBookie