if you are playing total

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
someone might want to add to this but what i have heard is that coordinator of official sent a note to the ref monday morning so that they would call the games like they did in the begining of the season.
Last night in habs ping games 17 minor pens where call in the 5 to 4 game
Dont take this has cash but it could be usefull if its accurate info.

good day

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
Well, since the majority of the complaints seem to be coming from the Pens it wouldn't surprise me.

<b>Bergevin fined for ripping refs</b>

tsn.ca Staff
11/18/2002

The National Hockey League has fined Pittsburgh Penguins? defenceman Marc Bergevin $1,000 for his comments about the referees in Saturday?s 3-2 loss to the New York Islanders.

The fine is the maximum allowed under league rules.

Bergevin received a gross misconduct after the game was over for complaining to the officials. He followed up with an expletive-filled post-game tirade in the dressing room, during which he invited the media to record his displeasure.

Bergevin?s main complaint was his perception that the referees had started to ignore the league?s requested crack down on obstruction and interference.

"It was like a rodeo," Bergevin said. "You see what they're calling. They were calling it one way, now they're calling it another way."

Bergevin was not to only Pittsburgh player to air his beefs about the officials.

Ian Moran said he predicted the enforcement would last only until Thanksgiving but, he said, "I was wrong. It didn't even make it until Halloween. The first 10 games of the season were great. What should have been called was being called, and it was a great product. Guys were flying."

When asked to comment about the referees, scoring leader Mario Lemieux said, "I wish I could."

The league has also fined Buffalo Sabres forward Adam Mair $1,000 for a receiving a match penalty on Saturday night. The penalty was assessed following a fight with Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil, during which Mair struck Neil with his own helmet.

After reviewing the incident, the league determined the blow was unintentional, so Mair received a fine instead of a suspension.

This was, however, the second one-ice confrontation between the two. Last year, when he was with the Los Angeles Kings, Mair received a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to jump Neil during a fight.

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
<b>VanHellemond denies obstruction changes</B>

Canadian Press
11/18/2002

TORONTO (CP) - The NHL says it is sticking to its crackdown on obstruction despite charges to the contrary from the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Andy VanHellemond, the NHL's director of officiating, was fielding his share of phone calls Monday in response to comments from Penguins players following Saturday's loss to the New York Islanders.

``It was like a rodeo,'' said Pens defenceman Marc Bergevin. ``You see what they're calling. They were calling it one way, now they're calling it another way.''

Penguins defenceman Ian Moran said he predicted the crackdown would last only until U.S. Thanksgiving (next week).

``I was wrong. It didn't even make it until Halloween. The first 10 games of the season were great. What should have been called was being called, and it was a great product. Guys were flying.''

Hogwash says VanHellemond. The Penguins are confusing apples with oranges.

``We told them at the beginning of the season: we're going to clear up through the neutral zone and into the forecheck. When you don't have the puck you shouldn't be held up. That hasn't been a problem.''

VanHellemond says complaints that Penguin players were held or hooked while carrying the puck has nothing to do with the crackdown on obstruction.

``They're saying the battles on the puck should be the same as when you don't have the puck,'' VanHellemond said. ``But we can't have that. Hockey is hockey. When you get the puck you're subject to being checked.

``That's where I think it's coming from. `Why should I get tugged when I don't have the puck and get a penalty called and when I have the puck I get tugged and there's no penalty.' Well, you have to battle through that. Now if you get pulled off your feet or hooked off the puck, then that's a penalty and it always was a penalty.''

Do the Pens have a legitimate complaint?

Power plays are indeed down. The league was averaging 12.2 power plays a game as of Oct. 21. Before Monday's game between Pittsburgh and Montreal, the league average was down to 10.7 power plays a game _ still more than one power play higher than last season at this stage.

But the fact that power plays are down in the second month of play could also mean players have adjusted to the obstruction rules and therefore aren't taking as many penalties.

``Exactly,'' says VanHellemond. ``I watched Derian Hatcher the other day when Dallas was playing. A guy came down on Hatcher (without the puck) and wanted to go around him. Normally Hatcher would have rode him off, grabbed him and spun him, got in his way or blocked him. This time, he let the guy go by and in on the forecheck.''

Just ask San Jose defenceman Brad Stuart, who has played two games since returning from a contract dispute. This isn't the NHL he played in last season.

``I noticed it,'' Stuart told the San Jose Mercury News. ``You can skate up the ice, and guys have to try to stay with you; they can't drag you down.''

As for Saturday's game between the Penguins and Islanders, VanHellemond watched it in detail on Monday.

``Actually there were a couple penalties called that should not have been called,'' VanHellemond said. ``And there was one or two late in the game where I really believe they tried to embellish to get a call. There was one penalty that should have been called and wasn't, and (the Penguins) had a legitimate complaint there. (Adrian) Aucoin came in, put his stick across a player and put his leg behind him. That was a trip, but not obstruction because the puck was there.''

VanHellemond says he sent these video examples by e-mail Monday back to game referees Don Massenhoven and Ian Walsh.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
SJunkie tx for the feed back and good to see you around here.I hope you are enjoying being a dad.

I've look at that game and they have call EVERYTHING....it was a joke.

VanHellemond can deny if he wants but the fact of the matter is that on top of what i have heard earlier in the day about wanting to be more consistant on calling the penalities, their was 17 PP last night in a non physicall game. (1 + 1 = 2)

i'm looking for more PP tonight and will follow this situation.
Much less goals in the last 2 weeks, in the long run stats average themselve. If we are looking at 5,5 in the long run we need more over but overall i really like that ref situation.
WILL SEE.

For me thats enough to bite on the over 55,5.

GLTA