I'll Be The First To Admit

Mr. Promises Delivered

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 1999
New York
The Devils outplayed the Avs for just about the first game.

I'll give credit to Martin as he did a good job tonight.

Some might flame me but I still love the Avs to win the series.

Good luck!

ZigZag

Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
VA
You are just giving props to the team that played better in this game. This series really turned on the Roy mistake in Game 4.

Throughout the whole year the Avs have been the best team in the NHL. Down the stretch the Devils were playing as good as anybody.

You could probably make a decent case for either team coming into this series, but I believe the real issue in the other heated thread was the totally wild lines for these games.

How could Colorado be the clear underdog going into this series with both teams playing well, but Roy playing much better in goal. If anything it should have at least been -110 on each and defintely the home team should be a solid favorite in each game.

Well, this puppy is not over. Anything can happen in the last 1 or 2 games.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Throughout the whole year the Avs have been the best team in the NHL. Down the stretch the Devils were playing as good as anybody.

Without any offense ZigZag, I think I heard that just too many times and it's starting to tick me off, especially after such an outstanding game by the Devils...

Statistically, and I proved it many times, - just check back and look at some of my posts during the year - the Devils were the best team throughout the whole year and they are still the best team in the playoffs.

The series line NJ -175 at the beginning of the series is starting to take shape and it was not that much of a mistake - if not at all. The only thing is that the Avs are way too much underrated as a road team and the Devils are also a bit underrated as a road team. Like I said at the beginning of this series, it's *almost* a good thing that the Devils don't have the home ice advantage here (for them). I just still can't believe the difference in the lines between the games being played in NJ and the games being played in Colorado.

IMO it should have been something like NJ -130 Col +110 for each and every game so far, no matter where the game is being played. But the lines are made for the public and that's how we can make money out of it. Public loves to bet the home team. Hey if you're having some hard time to figure out what I'm saying just look at NJ home and road basic stats in the last 2 years (playoffs):

They are 13-10 @home averaging 2.78 gf to 2.13 ga while they are 17-5 on the road averaging 2.77 gf to only 1.50 ga.

I don't really like to play the game of predictions as there's no "sure thing" but if I had to make one, I'd say that the Avalanche will win game 6 only to lose game 7 back in Colorado.

Believe me, if the line for Colorado in game 6 is still something like +170 I'm all over it. But the better team remains... the New Jersey Devils...

<FONT SIZE="1" color="#336699" face="Verdana, Arial">
[This message will soon be edited by katts (edited 06-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by katts (edited 06-05-2001).]

Mr. Promises Delivered

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 1999
New York
Originally posted by katts:
Without offense ZigZag, I think I heard that just too many times and it's starting to tick me off, especially after such an outstanding game by the Devils...

Statistically, and I proved it many times, - just check back and look at some of my posts during the year - the Devils were the best team throughout the whole year and they are still the best team in the playoffs.

The series line NJ -175 at the beginning of the series is starting to take shape and it was not that much of a mistake - if not at all. The only thing is that the Avs are way too much underrated as a road team and the Devils are also a bit underrated as a road team. Like I said at the beginning of this series, it's *almost* a good thing that the Devils don't have the home ice advantage here (for them). I just still can't believe the difference in the lines between the games being played in NJ and the games being played in Colorado.

IMO it should have been something like NJ -130 Col +110 for each and every game so far, no matter where the game is being played. But the lines are made for the public and that's how we can make money out of it. Public loves to bet the home team. Hey if you're having some hard time to figure out what I'm saying just look at NJ home and road basic stats in the last 2 years (playoffs):

They are 13-10 @home averaging 2.78 gf to 2.13 ga while they are 17-5 on the road averaging 2.77 gf to only 1.50 ga.

I don't really like to play the game of predictions as there's no "sure thing" but if I had to make one, I'd say that the Avalanche will win game 6 only to lose game 7 back in Colorado.

Believe me, if the line for Colorado in game 6 is still something like +170 I'm all over it. But the better team remains... the New Jersey Devils...

<FONT SIZE="1" color="#336699" face="Verdana, Arial">
Suggestion

[This message has been edited by katts (edited 06-05-2001).]

#1 OVERALL team in the league & from the BETTER conf spells the Avs being the best team in the regular season period!

#'s aren't everything either as you well know. Some of those #'s the Devils have are meaningless, look at most of the competition they play in the East.

It's the same thing saying that a team has the best defense in the league but almost their whole schedule is against the worst offensive teams in any sport.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
That was a bad idea (HTML)
tongue.gif

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Saying that the Western Conference is better than the Eastern is one thing, I have to admit it it's a *bit* stronger. But hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Wild and Blue Jackets - 2 expansions teams - did pretty well in the West this year and it just confirms what I've been thinking for about 2 years now: the Western Conference is not THAT much stronger anymore.

If the Devils were playing in the West, they'd finish 1st much more easily than you might think. BTW the Devils are 18-4-1 in the Western Conference this season including 10-1-0 on the road.

Mr. Promises Delivered

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 1999
New York
What is a breakdown of their records against teams in the W. Conf.

Shouldn't they have more games against the W. Conf.

Overall the power might be shifting a tad bit in the regular season but come Cup time, the West has dominated of late.

I do have to disagree with them finishing first kinda easily.

If they did I'd think it would be a dogfight till the end.

scrubbo

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
charlotte, nc, usa
FORGET ALL THE ARGUMENTS!!!!!
THE TEAM THAT WINS THE CUP IS THE BEST TEAM!!!
REGULAR SEASON MEANS NOTHING!! THE PLAYOFFS ARE AS LONG AS THE REGULAR SEASON.
THE DEVILS HAVE WORN OUT THE AVS. YOU COULD SEE IT IN BOURQUES FACE AT THE END OF GAME 5.
THE NEXT ARGUMENT YOU'LL HEAR FROM THE AVS FANS IS "IF WE HAD FORSBERG...."
AVS +155 IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH FOR GAME 6 IT'LL GO UP TO +165 BEFORE THE PUCK DROPS.
THE EXTRA DAY OFF SHOULD HELP THE AVS.
DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE HOW CHITTY THE ICE AND RINK WERE IN NJ. BAD HOPS, STICKS STUCK IN THE BOARDS. WTF?

Mr. Promises Delivered

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 1999
New York
Well you won't get the Forseberg arguement from me as I knew he was out & I still felt strong about the Avs winning.

You know the best team doesn't always win a championship, sometimes things happen that turn the momentum in another direction.

scrubbo

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
charlotte, nc, usa
Its all about the goalies.
The Devils seemed to be on auto-pilot all year and now they're playing their best hockey. As long as Brodeur does a decent job the Devils will take the cup.
I would like to kiss some ass by saying that the AVs fans have been nothing but class its been a plesure talking puck with ya'all during the finals.
ITS BEEN A PUCKIN' LOVEFEST!!!!FOCKERS.
biggrin.gif

ZigZag

Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
VA
How can anyone say that the Avs were not the best team during the regular season? They had the best record. I didn't think they were so much better than any other team that they should just be handed the cup. Many other teams were looking great coming into the playoffs.

I am a Wings fan so if anything I should hate the Avs. I easily put aside those feelings when it comes time to making some $ on the NHL.

My issue was with the lines for the series and game 1. Going into this game both teams were playing well and Roy was playing better in goal. With two very close teams and Roy playing better I just saw some value in the lines. This worked out in game 1/3 and looked good for the series, but the Devs took advantage of the game 4 Roy mistake and then played great in game 5.

In the end I don't think the Devils will give a crap who had the better regular season record if they win in game 6.

As far as the East/West thing goes - The West may be slightly tougher, but if the Devils were in the West they would win their division and it really wouldn't make a diff.

Mr. Promises Delivered

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 1, 1999
New York
Originally posted by scrubbo:
Its all about the goalies.
The Devils seemed to be on auto-pilot all year and now they're playing their best hockey. As long as Brodeur does a decent job the Devils will take the cup.
I would like to kiss some ass by saying that the AVs fans have been nothing but class its been a plesure talking puck with ya'all during the finals.
ITS BEEN A PUCKIN' LOVEFEST!!!!FOCKERS.
biggrin.gif

Thanks, it has been a pleasure talking to all the Devils fans even if I hate their team or just non fans of the Devils but backers in a gamblers sense.

I know at most any other forum, this would have turned into a pissing war.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Promises Delivered (edited 06-07-2001).]

scrubbo

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
charlotte, nc, usa
Lets not forget how dominant the devils were against the west this year. 18-4-1. They also started the season with Arnott and Neidemeier holding out and had various injuries along the way.(I'm not looking for excuses but these are some reasons the devils got off to a slow start) The Devils definately looked like the were sleepwalking through the season and decided to turn on the gas when they got near the home stretch of the regular season. (which is extremely hard to accomplish)
The Devils are the only team in hockey that can play any style. They can skate, hit, finesse, defense and goal tend. Not one of the west teams can hit or defend as well as the Devils. Skating wise the Devils have mogilny, elias, sykora, gomez and Neidemeier. The Devils were also the #1 scoring team in hockey and that comes playing against some good defensive teams like buffalo and ottowa etc... The hockey regular season is overated. The reason I say its overated is because this is the 1st year since 1989 that both # 1 seeds have made the cup. That doesn't mean the best team didn't win the cup,since 1989, it just means that the best teams didn't play their best until the playoffs.
So, to answer your question, I think the Devils would fair very well in the west and maybe most of the western teams would not have as many points during the season.
I've already rambled too long so I'll finish by saying " I think preseason hockey starts next week" Good luck tonight.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
scrubbo has well resumed what I've been saying all year long.

I personally think the Devils would win any division in the West (so also the conference). I also mentionned the Niedermayer/Arnott factor many times..

Click here for the reasons why I believed in this team since the very beginning of the playoffs

But hey - it ain't over 'til it's over

[This message has been edited by katts (edited 06-07-2001).]

Bet on MyBookie