Insulting Our Troops

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Insulting Our Troops, and Our Intelligence, by Thomas L. Friedman
New York Times, November 3, 2006

George Bush, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld think you're stupid. Yes, they do.

They think they can take a mangled quip about President Bush and Iraq by John Kerry -- a man who is not even running for office but who, unlike Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, never ran away from combat service -- and get you to vote against all Democrats in this election.

Every time you hear Mr. Bush or Mr. Cheney lash out against Mr. Kerry, I hope you will say to yourself, "They must think I'm stupid." Because they surely do.

They think that they can get you to overlook all of the Bush team's real and deadly insults to the U.S. military over the past six years by hyping and exaggerating Mr. Kerry's mangled gibe at the president.

What could possibly be more injurious and insulting to the U.S. military than to send it into combat in Iraq without enough men -- to launch an invasion of a foreign country not by the Powell Doctrine of overwhelming force, but by the Rumsfeld Doctrine of just enough troops to lose? What could be a bigger insult than that?

What could possibly be more injurious and insulting to our men and women in uniform than sending them off to war without the proper equipment, so that some soldiers in the field were left to buy their own body armor and to retrofit their own jeeps with scrap metal so that roadside bombs in Iraq would only maim them for life and not kill them? And what could be more injurious and insulting than Don Rumsfeld's response to criticism that he sent our troops off in haste and unprepared: Hey, you go to war with the army you've got -- get over it.

What could possibly be more injurious and insulting to our men and women in uniform than to send them off to war in Iraq without any coherent postwar plan for political reconstruction there, so that the U.S. military has had to assume not only security responsibilities for all of Iraq but the political rebuilding as well? The Bush team has created a veritable library of military histories -- from "Cobra II" to "Fiasco" to "State of Denial" -- all of which contain the same damning conclusion offered by the very soldiers and officers who fought this war: This administration never had a plan for the morning after, and we've been making it up -- and paying the price -- ever since.

And what could possibly be more injurious and insulting to our men and women in Iraq than to send them off to war and then go out and finance the very people they're fighting against with our gluttonous consumption of oil? Sure, George Bush told us we're addicted to oil, but he has not done one single significant thing -- demanded higher mileage standards from Detroit, imposed a gasoline tax or even used the bully pulpit of the White House to drive conservation -- to end that addiction. So we continue to finance the U.S. military with our tax dollars, while we finance Iran, Syria, Wahhabi mosques and Al Qaeda madrassas with our energy purchases.

Everyone says that Karl Rove is a genius. Yeah, right. So are cigarette companies. They get you to buy cigarettes even though we know they cause cancer. That is the kind of genius Karl Rove is. He is not a man who has designed a strategy to reunite our country around an agenda of renewal for the 21st century -- to bring out the best in us. His "genius" is taking some irrelevant aside by John Kerry and twisting it to bring out the worst in us, so you will ignore the mess that the Bush team has visited on this country.

And Karl Rove has succeeded at that in the past because he was sure that he could sell just enough Bush cigarettes, even though people knew they caused cancer. Please, please, for our country's health, prove him wrong this time.

Let Karl know that you're not stupid. Let him know that you know that the most patriotic thing to do in this election is to vote against an administration that has -- through sheer incompetence -- brought us to a point in Iraq that was not inevitable but is now unwinnable.

Let Karl know that you think this is a critical election, because you know as a citizen that if the Bush team can behave with the level of deadly incompetence it has exhibited in Iraq -- and then get away with it by holding on to the House and the Senate -- it means our country has become a banana republic. It means our democracy is in tatters because it is so gerrymandered, so polluted by money, and so divided by professional political hacks that we can no longer hold the ruling party to account.

It means we're as stupid as Karl thinks we are.

I, for one, don't think we're that stupid. Next Tuesday we'll see.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
And what could possibly be more injurious and insulting to our men and women in Iraq than to send them off to war and then go out and finance the very people they're fighting against with our gluttonous consumption of oil? Sure, George Bush told us we're addicted to oil, but he has not done one single significant thing -- demanded higher mileage standards from Detroit, imposed a gasoline tax or even used the bully pulpit of the White House to drive conservation -- to end that addiction. So we continue to finance the U.S. military with our tax dollars, while we finance Iran, Syria, Wahhabi mosques and Al Qaeda madrassas with our energy purchases.
This point never seems to get through. But I guess it's more patriotic to slap a yellow ribbon sticker or American flag on your SUV than it is to actually physically do something about oil consumption.

Padre

Forum Member
Mar 11, 2000
San Diego CA
Smurph, i tried putting one of those stickers on my bike.:shrug:

Does wasnt enough room, had to put on my Excursion.:mj07:

Padre

Forum Member
Mar 11, 2000
San Diego CA
It just makes me upset that people cant see them when i am towing my 42 foot jet boat.

What do u think i should do. the stickers might peel off in water if i try and put them on my boat.

dont worry though , i have them on the back of my 39 foot RV weekend warrior.:mj07:

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I also needed room for my W sticker as well.:com:

yeah, big stickers demand big automobiles. i do realize that.

maybe we aren't addicted to oil ( as bush says), but rather to stickers?

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
It just makes me upset that people cant see them when i am towing my 42 foot jet boat.

What do u think i should do. the stickers might peel off in water if i try and put them on my boat.

dont worry though , i have them on the back of my 39 foot RV weekend warrior.:mj07:

i think your ok when pulling the boat as long as you got at least 2 large flags flying off the back. that can make up for the lack of visibility of the ones on the excursion.

OR, what's wrong with replacing your yellow ribbon one on the boat every time you use it. the stickers are made in china and not very expensive. you could load up and be prepared for water damage when it occurs.

god bless you, man. all that patriotism just oozing out on the 5, 8, 163, 805, 78, etc. you are a true hero!

Padre

Forum Member
Mar 11, 2000
San Diego CA
Ohh and if you are wondering how can a man of my means afford all of these toys?

Easy, i just waited for my tax refund check from Bush in his first term, ran into the dealer and said i will take it all i am expecting a big check soon.

financed it all, and then slapped the $300 tax check down payment, thats all it took.

but thxs on the sticker idea, almost forgot about them being made in china. i thought they fell in the 2.8%. cuz we all know 97.2% of all goods are made there. my bad.

btw u looking for a "good" deal on an Excursion, looking to get an Prius with the 12,000$ improvment to 100 mpg. just cant get anyone that will put a hitch on it, so i can tow, boat and rv.:shrug:

Padre

Forum Member
Mar 11, 2000
San Diego CA
Just let me know , ok

right now i am off in Excursion across town to pick up my 1 son from school.:com:

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
Easy, i just waited for my tax refund check from Bush in his first term, ran into the dealer and said i will take it all i am expecting a big check soon.

financed it all, and then slapped the $300 tax check down payment, thats all it took.

Takes all kinds. Didn't Freeze say he bought an IPOD with his tax refund windfall?

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Takes all kinds. Didn't Freeze say he bought an IPOD with his tax refund windfall?
Yes, and the sales kid who helped him pick it out got a fat % of the sale. It was a great moment for the U, S, and A. A great moment for freedom.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
btw u looking for a "good" deal on an Excursion, looking to get an Prius with the 12,000$ improvment to 100 mpg. just cant get anyone that will put a hitch on it, so i can tow, boat and rv.:shrug:
Don't even joke about that. If you buy that Prius, then the terrorists and homosexuals have already won. Stick to your guns, don't ever give up! You push that Excursion if you have to, but you must keep that sticker canvas in circulation on our highways and biways.

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
Let's face it. After the NYT published stories about Abu Ghraib 539 straight days on their front page, the battle was already lost.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Let's face it. After the NYT published stories about Abu Ghraib 539 straight days on their front page, the battle was already lost.

Maybe the battle, but the war can still be salvaged tomorrow. We know who the bad guys want to win. If Pelosi becomes speaker, then we may as well bring our troops home and apologize to the world. I see mass graves in all our futures.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Seymour_Hersh.jpg

speaking of the n.y.times and insulting our troops....it was nice to see seymour hersh,nyt`s pulitzer prize winning investigative journalist, take our boys backs.... very refreshing..

"“In Vietnam, our soldiers came back and they were reviled as baby killers, in shame and humiliation,” he said. “It isn’t happening now, but I will tell you – there has never been an [American] army as violent and murderous as our army has been in Iraq.”

way to go,seymour....i`m sure the families of those boys appreciate the "support"....

Last edited:

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
I thought Cheney put us all straight on Sunday maybe Saturday. Whom ever wins this election nothing will change. In Other words if Dem's did get lucky. Bush is about to find that veto pen he had put away for 99% of the time last 5 years.
And as Cheney said it does not matter what the polls say. Or most Americans think. We stay the course.
Insulting Not only the troops but About 63 % of Americans.

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Insulting Our Troops, and Our Intelligence, by Thomas L. Friedman
New York Times, November 3, 2006

George Bush, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld think you're stupid. Yes, they do.

They think they can take a mangled quip about President Bush and Iraq by John Kerry -- a man who is not even running for office but who, unlike Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, never ran away from combat service -- and get you to vote against all Democrats in this election.

Every time you hear Mr. Bush or Mr. Cheney lash out against Mr. Kerry, I hope you will say to yourself, "They must think I'm stupid." Because they surely do.

They think that they can get you to overlook all of the Bush team's real and deadly insults to the U.S. military over the past six years by hyping and exaggerating Mr. Kerry's mangled gibe at the president.

What could possibly be more injurious and insulting to the U.S. military than to send it into combat in Iraq without enough men -- to launch an invasion of a foreign country not by the Powell Doctrine of overwhelming force, but by the Rumsfeld Doctrine of just enough troops to lose? What could be a bigger insult than that?

What could possibly be more injurious and insulting to our men and women in uniform than sending them off to war without the proper equipment, so that some soldiers in the field were left to buy their own body armor and to retrofit their own jeeps with scrap metal so that roadside bombs in Iraq would only maim them for life and not kill them? And what could be more injurious and insulting than Don Rumsfeld's response to criticism that he sent our troops off in haste and unprepared: Hey, you go to war with the army you've got -- get over it.

What could possibly be more injurious and insulting to our men and women in uniform than to send them off to war in Iraq without any coherent postwar plan for political reconstruction there, so that the U.S. military has had to assume not only security responsibilities for all of Iraq but the political rebuilding as well? The Bush team has created a veritable library of military histories -- from "Cobra II" to "Fiasco" to "State of Denial" -- all of which contain the same damning conclusion offered by the very soldiers and officers who fought this war: This administration never had a plan for the morning after, and we've been making it up -- and paying the price -- ever since.

Everyone says that Karl Rove is a genius. Yeah, right. So are cigarette companies. They get you to buy cigarettes even though we know they cause cancer. That is the kind of genius Karl Rove is. He is not a man who has designed a strategy to reunite our country around an agenda of renewal for the 21st century -- to bring out the best in us. His "genius" is taking some irrelevant aside by John Kerry and twisting it to bring out the worst in us, so you will ignore the mess that the Bush team has visited on this country.

And Karl Rove has succeeded at that in the past because he was sure that he could sell just enough Bush cigarettes, even though people knew they caused cancer. Please, please, for our country's health, prove him wrong this time.

Let Karl know that you're not stupid. Let him know that you know that the most patriotic thing to do in this election is to vote against an administration that has -- through sheer incompetence -- brought us to a point in Iraq that was not inevitable but is now unwinnable.

Let Karl know that you think this is a critical election, because you know as a citizen that if the Bush team can behave with the level of deadly incompetence it has exhibited in Iraq -- and then get away with it by holding on to the House and the Senate -- it means our country has become a banana republic. It means our democracy is in tatters because it is so gerrymandered, so polluted by money, and so divided by professional political hacks that we can no longer hold the ruling party to account.

It means we're as stupid as Karl thinks we are.

I, for one, don't think we're that stupid. Next Tuesday we'll see.

Sounds like everything i have been saying forthe last six months but get called every nasty name in the book because i like Friedman know that most of this country is clueless. I just say what he say's more elegantly

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Sounds like everything i have been saying forthe last six months but get called every nasty name in the book because i like Friedman know that most of this country is clueless.

""I just say what he say's more elegantly""

i just say what he says.....more elegantly...?.

or

i just say....what he says more elegantly....?

think before you answer...your reputation as the resident "agent provacteur"(roger baltrey was heavily into the bong when he coined that one....lol) of the forum is riding on your answer....

spongey...you light up my life...:142smilie

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Sounds like everything i have been saying forthe last six months but get called every nasty name in the book because i like Friedman know that most of this country is clueless. I just say what he say's more elegantly

yes, it sure does. That's because you are a :s7: of the NY Times. My point proven again.

Sponge, don't you see the irony. Again and again, you are all over the NY times jock, but in multiple other threads you are accusing people who might have a random conservative view as being puppets of Fox News. You are the puppet, and Sulzberger pulls your strings.

Bet on MyBookie