iahawk06

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
Sioux City,IA
MSU tries to avoid fruity, fruitless road games

October 9, 2002

BY JEMELE HILL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

EAST LANSING -- Fans have thrown quarters, marshmallows and apples at them.

Even worse, the visiting locker room is painted pink.

These are some of Michigan State's memories from playing football at Iowa, where the Spartans haven't won in 13 years.

"I guess with that pink locker room they figure it's going to put everyone in a lackadaisical mood," guard Paul Harker said, laughing.

Since losing to Iowa two years ago, 21-16, the Spartans have become one of the poorest road teams in the Big Ten. They are 1-7 in conference road games the past two seasons, with their only road victory coming at Wisconsin last year.

Michigan State hopes to reverse that trend Saturday against No. 17 Iowa. The matchup at Kinnick Stadium is important for MSU's Big Ten title hopes, and it's one of four road games in the Spartans' next seven.

The lousy road record has been a big blemish for coach Bobby Williams. Seven of his 11 Big Ten losses have come away from East Lansing.

"We're not going to go through a whole bunch of things that are out of the ordinary to get ready for this game," Williams said Tuesday. "We want to try to stay as consistent as possible in everything we do from a practice standpoint, with our travel and all of our game preparation. As far as doing anything out of the ordinary, we're not going to do that."

Last edited:

iahawk06

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
Sioux City,IA
From the Detroit Free Press:
BIG TEN: Hawkeyes flying high under Ferentz's wing

October 9, 2002

BY JEMELE HILL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

When Kirk Ferentz signed a contract extension this summer, there was grumbling that the fourth-year Iowa football coach was overpaid. He became the school's highest-paid employee.

Since then, the extension, which raised his base salary from $310,000 to $510,000, appears deserved. The 17th-ranked Hawkeyes are 5-1 overall, 2-0 in the Big Ten entering Saturday's game against Michigan State.

Ferentz, who took over a team that won three games in 1998, has Iowa in position to win the conference title.

The Hawkeyes lead the Big Ten in scoring (39.7 points), rushing (242.2 yards) and rushing defense (56.3). They have run for 1,115 more yards than their opponents.

Junior Fred Russell, who went to Romulus High before going to prep school, leads the conference in rushing, with 722 yards. He averages 6.0 yards a rush and 144.4 a game.

"This is just temp parking right now, the spot we're sitting in," said Ferentz, whose salary could reach $910,000 because of his outside income. "It's really premature to get too excited with anything that's going on with the conference race or the national race. We still have six games to play here in the conference, and that's really where our thoughts are."

Russell was a terrific find for the Hawkeyes. After he went to Milford Academy in Connecticut for academics, many schools quit pursuing him. They underestimated what he could do because of his 5-foot-8, 185-pound frame.

Ferentz landed Russell on pure luck. He went to Connecticut to see another recruit, and the coach asked him to check out Russell.

"It was pretty much a cold call that December, and the next thing you know he was on our campus," Ferentz said. "He liked what we saw, and we were fortunate to get him signed."

With Russell running the ball effectively, Iowa has become one of the most dangerous teams in the conference.

"As far as his size, we're Iowa," Ferentz said. "We don't have one those bars like at amusement parks where you have to be so tall to ride a ride. We're just looking for good players, and Fred is certainly a good player. As long as we don't have to play basketball against who we play, I think we're OK."

iahawk06

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
Sioux City,IA
<B> INSIDE THE NUMBERS </B>

In MSU' two decisive victories this year over Easterm Michigan and
Northwestern, the following stats stand out:
Rushing Attempts: 48 / 48
Rushing Yards: 369 / 276
Passing Attempts: 25 / 26
Passing Yards: 256 / 263

In MSU's two decisive defeats this year against California and Notre Dame,
the following stats stand out:
Rushing Attempts: 30 / 34
Rushing Yards: 87 / 53
Passing Attempts: 38 / 34
Passing Yards: 265 / 281

In all 4 games, Charlie Rogers performed as follows:(catches-yrds-tds-long)
Easterm Michigan: 4 - 138 - 1 - 59
Northwestern: 3 - 53 - 1 - 21
California: 9 - 166 - 1 - 31
Notre Dame: 7 - 175 - 2 - 40

My observations:
1) When Michigan State has to pass more than run, they usually lose.
2) Iowa is pretty good at making teams pass more than run.
3) Charlie Rogers gets good numbers win or lose, but has had his best games
when MSU loses.

My prediction:
Charlie Rogers will most likely have a record day against Iowa, but MSU will
still lose anyway.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hawkeye

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2000
denver, co-usa
how are we going to stop ther passing game--this is a key game-i think mich st covers?--oops a hawk fan said that?

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
Same thoughts here, Hawkeye. Not only do I think MSU covers in this one, I think they win outright. Iowa had no business winning last week, and I think their lack of linebacking costs them big-time on Saturday.

Rogers gets his catches/yards on Saturday, but its the rest of the Spartan offense that scares me.Who on the Iowa defense is going to step up and cover the tight end or the running back coming out of the backfield? I don't know.....

My 'capping of the Iowa games this season has been pretty poor-- that should mean Iowa wins by 20+........

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

iahawk06

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
Sioux City,IA
<b>Redsfan says:
My 'capping of the Iowa games this season has been pretty poor-- that should mean Iowa wins by 20+........</b>

Yeah since you go against Iowa in everygame for the last two years!

This year I won 3 times takeing Iowa..

vs Akron
vs Utah St
and predicting Iowa to beat Penn St straight up

I lost the ISU GAME & Takeing Iowa at -4.5 IN THE 1ST HALF LAST WEEK!

So my 3-2 record this year so far isn't the greatist, but I see Iowa winning Sat by at least 10 points. I have the same feeling I did for the Penn St game. I will keep the ball on the ground and keep the ball out of Michigan Sts offense. Iowa will win this game I will lay the -6 and cash out!

Good luck my anti -Iowa freind!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
IaHawk06--

Why I bother to respond to a hick like yourself is beyond me. We've been over this many times before, and if you are too stupid to understand why I bet against the Hawkeyes, then I can't help that. Look forward to your myriad of excuses when Iowa loses by 3 TDs tomarrow.

Also, Einstein... there is no E in taking.......:rolleyes:

THUNDER

Forum Member
Nov 1, 2000
rogers will not have a good day he will dominate. msu does not plan on estabilishing the run they are going to spread things and this is going to exploit there weakness as isu did there secondary is undersizes and slow there linebackers are not much better. msu has had plenty of time to prepare for this game and it will show tommorow.msu is a top play for me hopefully iowa wins by 3 so we are all happy.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

iahawk06

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
Sioux City,IA
CONGRATS KMAC! WE WON AND A COVER!

Redsfan,

Before you go around calling people stupid hicks or einsteins, you better step back and check yourself. Now first, I'd like to congrat you on your outstanding capping of Hawkeye games..after all at first you said Iowa would win by 20+ points, but then you went against yourself saying Iowa would lose by 3 tds. Should always go with your first instint, a lesson learned. I'm sorry I won't be able to give you a "myraid" of excuses, would you happen to have any since you were so high on this "great" Michigan St team, who by the way lost at home to, Cal? Oh, I do have a "myraid" of excuses, them refs suck, they gave Michigan St them 14 points they scored, pass inter. and roughing the passer,my ass! It took this "Great" Spartan Offense 8 plays inside the 10 and two cheesy pass interferance call just to score thier first 7 points, then a Roughing the Qb call? WHATEVER! That lead to this "great" offensive teams second td! Oh well, maybe someday you will relize there is something special going on in Iowa city, but you so called "Leval Headed" Hawk fans will never be able to enjoy it untill it's all over! So please, don't change your attitude towards the Hawks, Just because we kicked the living $$%%^%# out of the Spartens, I'm sure you'll beleave we have no chance against Michigan either, how will we win or even cover in the "Big House"? That'll be the first thing you'll want to say!

Oh, Hawkeye, how we gonna stop their passing game? I dunno, but Kent St and Utah St had a heck of a better passing game then Michigan St showed me today, but I am glad you agreed with Redsfan, afterall he did say Iowa would win by 20+!

Well, you guys have fun, I'm gonna go cash my two tickets out, I put a hundy on Iowa -6 and I laid some heavy wood on Iowa -4, great payday already!

GO HAWKS....

Hey Redsfan, you got two weeks to come up with some ligitement reasons why the Hawks don't have a prayer covering in the Big House, I'm ready to hear them, I'll be looking forward to it!

Oh did Iowa have no bussiness winning this week either, einstein?

GO HAWKS!
A TRUE HAWK FAN ALWAYS BLEEDS BLACK -N-GOLD!

Joe De

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2002
Congrats..what a slaughter...i expected a win not a blood feast...Mich State need HELP...