Is Byrd Justified in Being a fave of -191?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ysg3

Forum Member
Jan 18, 2005
Just wondering what people are thinking on this game.. ML looks awfully high for a team that is on a huge losing streak with a pitcher who has an era over 6??? input appreciated..

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
don't think its going to be a starters' game to be decided w/ byrd and affeldt, hence bp staffs....was looking for better than 36% chance of winning odds on royals on the road to make a play...pass for me on this one.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Gentlemen I think the direction to look is in the totals when KC is envolved...Have been playing runline against them for weeks now and have at least a little feel for this club...They are starting hit some but their pitching is still horrible.
Four straight overs and 5 out of the last 7 over the posted total. They are 4-11 over last 15 ...
They are 2-17 on the road. 4 of the 11 loses are by 1 run so the runline takes a bite.
Maybe the ploy should be wagering against them and also playing over the posted total..

I know somewhere in all the puzzle there is a bankroll padder w/ the Royals envolved...Just gotta find it :shrug:

good luck...

Last edited:

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Byrd looking for an edge

Paul Byrd's last start was against the Royals. And his next start, on Monday, is against the Royals.
So who has the advantage when a pitcher makes consecutive starts against the same team -- the hitter or the hurler?

"If it's a rookie or a guy who just throws hard and is going to analyze the situation, it's the hitter," Byrd said. "But in this situation, I feel like I have the advantage."

Byrd could use it. He's been inconsistent in his first two months as a member of the Indians. That includes the start against the Royals on May 9, when he gave up four runs on nine hits over seven innings.

As the Tribe begins a four-game set with the Royals and tries to avenge last week's sweep suffered in Kauffman Stadium, Byrd is feeling momentum to help the Indians turn things around.

"I have an intense desire to be more consistent," he said. "I would feel that even if we were in first place by five games. I'm usually a slow starter, but not this slow."

Pitching matchup
CLE: RHP Paul Byrd (4-3, 6.52 ERA)
Try as he might, Byrd just can't seem to log consistently solid starts in the early going this season. After probably his best outing of the year in Oakland on May 3, he labored in Kansas City last Monday, giving up four runs -- only three of which were earned because of his own fielding error in the fifth -- on nine hits with two walks and no strikeouts over seven innings. He has had trouble all year avoiding and getting out of big innings.

KC: LHP Jeremy Affeldt (2-2, 5.33 ERA)
Affeldt also faced the Indians in his last outing and was lifted in the second inning behind, 2-0, with the bases loaded and two out. He received a no-decision. In his previous outing, he pitched five scoreless innings against the Twins and recorded his second straight victory. Affeldt beat the Indians on April 23, holding them to four hits and one run in 5 1/3 innings.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg