Is it true the feds are arresting song downloaders?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
Just got me a new cd burner that came with my laptop. Told my friend about my plans to burn a few cd's off of kazaa, but he said he recently heard that the feds were traking down the users of these sites through their I.P. addresses and arresting them! Is this possible? Do they even have the resources? And are the sites that you pay for (about one dollar a month) legal? :confused:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TBONEZ0295

Forum Member
Apr 27, 2002
philadelphia
I suppose I should find out what my kid has been doing lately huh???? He burns cd's and sells them :eek: at school better yet..............

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
Found this at: http://www.elawnetwork.com/copyright.html

And, yes, you can go to jail for infringement, even if you just downloaded a single song, so long as the "value" of the copies made of the work over a six month period exceeds $1,000. So, if you assume that the individual "song" has a value of $2 (one-tenth the cost of the $20 CD), a mere 500 downloads are enough to make you liable. And these downloads don't necessarily have to come from your machine. If another person downloads the song from you, you may be responsible for the downloads that person permits.

Is this true???

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
I'm just going to pay the 1 dollar a month. Saves a lot of hassle

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
TORONTO-VIGILANTE said:
glad to see the feds have nothing better to do with their time.:rolleyes:

And I thought there was a war on terror. Do they think bin laden is transfering coded messages on Napster or what...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
the musicians should compete then....

they have a little competition now and maybe they should lower their prices to a more reasonable -- lets say -- 3$/CD instead of 16$/20$ or whatever the heck it is....give people incentive to buy their product instead of copy it

its just sharing music....don't see the book manufacturers all up in arms about sharing a good book to your buddy, or sharing a good movie, or for that matter a PUBLIC LIBRARY....

The Army of Darkness

Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
NC
If anyone goes to trial, just take all your cd's that only have 1 good song on them and say this is why I started downloading songs. I payed $16 for one song and I want my money back.

I would have to bring out my Big Country cd. :D

PaTsJaMM

Forum Member
Oct 3, 2002
Vermont
It's true alright. I saw them coming up the driveway and when they got out of the car I knew I was in deep sh*t. Thank God I deleted them all before they kicked my door in.:scared

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
Also, heard on a new howard stern last night that they are randomly going door to door making arrests. A Biillionaire came on the show and promoted buymusic.com as a legal alternative...you pay 79 cents per song. Also on the show was tommy lee who called kid rock a punk.