Italy/Ecuador

SeanB

Forum Member
May 19, 2002
Wash DC
Any thoughts out there on this one??? I like the Azzuri to win, the Ecuador squad is not playing this game 10 thousand ft. sea level in front of their fans. Playing in Sapporo before a neutral crowd says "AZZURI GOALLLL":rolleyes:

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I really can't see anything other than an Italian victory. They have far to much quality in every area and should come through this game quite comfortably. I think 2-0 Italy won't be far off the mark.

Italy 1/2 @ Totalbet - 2 Units.

---------

Under better judgement will not hit any game too hard too soon. Plenty more games to come and I'm sure there will be some stand out matches.

Last edited:

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Italy SHOULD win this game, again they SHOULD, but will they?
Italy has been a team known to come out slow, and pick up their game by the 2nd game. If I recall correctly and please correct me if I am wrong in 1998 Italy's first game against Chile ended up being a tie.... With that said Ecuador plays a similar style that Chile plays, and Italy over the last few years has had some difficulty with south american soccer teams...

I am not saying they will lose, I am just offering another point of view and just don't load up on this game, as there are better games out there (IE Portugal vs USA)

Cheers

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I think your right TTM. I haven't laid any money on the game yet and may have been a little hasty to talk up Italys credentials. The 1st game for all teams is tough, I think that might explain the number of draws we've seen thus far. Must keep telling myself that a draw against Sweden isn't the end of the world :).

Nick Douglas

Forum Member
Oct 31, 2000
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I think TTM $$$ hit the nail on the head. On paper this is an easy Italian victory but that is an awful lot of chalk to lay for a team that has historically had a good amount of draws in the opening round. Maybe looking at the over is a good play here. Figure if Italy does open up the scoring first Ecuador will start pressing and the Italians will have a good chance of counterattacking for goals. Could get a 3-0 or 3-1 final score.

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Ragazzi ci siamo". This is it, guys! The sense of relief was tangible today inside the Italian camp entrenched inside Sendai fort. The long drawn-out phoney war is finally over, and the quarrels, infighting, and rumour-mongering can at last cease. Italy are about to kick off their long-awaited FIFA World Cup? campaign!
The pre-tournament has been punctuated with incessant questioning of the coach's choices, such as "why is Montella set to start on the bench?", and squabbling in the camp (between Totti and Montella for example). Ill-founded rumours (Nesta for Juventus!) and others more grounded in reality (Coco for Inter!) have been rife for weeks. Stress and nerves will make way for action and excitement, and when the "Squadra Azzurra" take to the pitch, the typically Italian collective stage fright will be forgotten.

As the "Azzurri" line up, the national anthem (which they obstinately refuse to sing), Marco Materazzi and Gigi Di Biagio's jet lag and Trap's team selection will be far from their minds. Old fox Giovanni Trapattoni may have been taking Japanese lessons recently, but he would have trouble explaining Pippo Inzaghi's absence away in any language. The Milan goal machine has made a remarkable recovery from a knee injury, only to be consigned to the bench where he will have the pleasure of watching Totti and Vieri line up in attack, ably siupported by Cristiano Doni from midfield.

Totti - lethal at video games

Trapattoni's name in Japanese characters says it all: "Sword-slaying tiger hunter". The sword is Catenaccio of course, the perfect arm to fend off the fury of dangerous Equatorian winger Ulises De La Cruz, who has even been compared to Pele and has allegedly kept " Trap " from his sleep these past 3 days and nights. "I'm dying to play," says Vieri, who has had enough of getting thrashed on the video game console by Totti.

Alessandro Del Piero would love to say the same, but the Squadra's table-tennis king is destined for a substitute's role on Monday. Italy have taken note of France's slip-up against Senegal and will employ a more cautious 4-4-2 formation. They are well aware that there's no easy game in international football any more, and in case they'd forgotten, they are constantly reminded by the media that "Ecuador came second in the South American qualifiers". Let the show commence!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
SENDAI, Japan (Reuters) - Italy, one of the favourites for the World Cup, need to end a bad habit when they open their group G campaign against Ecuador on Monday.

The Italians are notoriously slow starters, having won just one of their last five opening games in World Cup finals.

Even when they won their third title, back in 1982, they drew all their group games before striker Paolo Rossi hit his stride and took them to victory over West Germany in the final.

Ecuador, playing in their first World Cup, on paper offer the easiest game in what looks a comfortable group for the Italians.

But coach Giovanni Trapattoni has been at pains to remind his players and the demanding Italian public that they can take nothing for granted against the South Americans, especially after Senegal's shock win over France in the tournament's opener.

"You don't finish above Brazil in your qualification group unless you have certain qualities, unless you are a good side," he said.

"They came through a very difficult qualification process but we should not be over-nervous, nor should we be over-optimistic," added the Italy coach.

Italy were unbeaten in qualification, conceding just three goals in eight games and Trapattoni will expect his defence to be as tight as in the last three World Cups.

The Italians have conceded just 10 goals in those 19 games and were been beaten only once in normal time -- a defeat by Ireland in New York in the opening game of the 1994 tournament.

TACTICAL RETHINK

Ecuador coach Hernan Dario Gomez is expected to pack his midfield and play with Agustin Delgado as a lone striker and that tactic has prompted a tactical rethink from Trapattoni.

Throughout qualification the Italy coach played with a three-pronged attack and three central defenders, but he will field a 4-4-2 formation in Sapporo with key man Francesco Totti partnering Christian Vieri in attack.

Christian Panucci, considered a former international a year ago, will complete his return to the fold by making his first finals appearance at right-back.

Cristiano Doni, another player who has benefited from Trapattoni's late change of heart, will start on the left flank but Alessandro Del Piero, desperate to make amends for a disappointing showing four years ago, will join Vincenzo Montella among the substitutes.

Filippo Inzaghi, who has spent the week in a battle to be fit after injuring his knee in a friendly against Kashima Antlers, will make up an impressive back-up forward on the bench.

The pressure will be on Vieri to deliver the firepower and the powerfully-built striker is convinced that Italy can go all the way. Italy play Croatia and Mexico later in the group.

"I think at least now, at the start, we are very strong and we have great potential. There is a great feeling between us and that is important," said Vieri.

"But there are no easy opponents at a World Cup, there are going to be three battles (in the group). Ecuador are a good team, we need to respect them and be at 100 percent on the field."

Probable teams:

Italy: 1-Gianluigi Buffon; 2-Christian Panucci,13-Alessandro Nesta, 5-Fabio Cannavaro, 3-Paolo Maldini; 19-Gianluca Zambrotta; 17-Damiano Tommasi, 14-Luigi Di Biagio, 11-Cristiano Doni; 10-Francesco Totti, 21-Christian Vieri.

Ecuador: 1-Jose Cevallos; 4-Ulises De la Cruz, 3-Ivan Hurtado, 2-Augusto Porozo, 6-Raul Guerron; 20-Edwin Tenorio, 5-Alfonso Obregon, 16-Cleber Chala, 19-Edison Mendez, 10-Alex Aguinaga; 11-Agustin Delgado.

Referee: Brian Hall (United States)

Linesmen : Hector Vergara (Canada)

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
SAPPORO, Japan (Reuters) - Italy, with Francesco Totti and Christian Vieri paired up front, must show their attacking flair against Ecuador in their opening group G match on Monday, says coach Giovanni Trapattoni.

But Trapattoni, preparing for his first ever game at the World Cup finals, said his team must be careful not to leave themselves exposed to the Latin Americans' counter-attacks.

"It's clear that we can't sit back because it is their style to try and impose themselves on the game.

"We must be prepared. We must play our game and we must be aggressive while not leaving ourselves exposed to their long balls," said the Italy coach on Sunday.

"I am not worried but I have a lot of respect for Ecuador."

Trapattoni confirmed his expected starting line-up with Totti in attack with Vieri. Asked what kind of Italy would be on show in the first game, Totti said simply: "An attacking one".

TOTTI FUNDAMENTAL

Totti's form will be fundamental to Italy's chances of winning their fourth World Cup and he admitted to some nerves and excitement on the eve of his first finals appearance.

"Sure there are butterflies but that passes. I expect a lot of emotion in the game, but at the moment joy is all I am feeling - this is my first World Cup," said the striker.

Vieri too was confident that Italy could confound their recent form at World Cups and get off to a winning start.

"There is everything in place to do well. We are all fully concentrated after all this preparation. We have to produce our best in the first game," said Vieri.

But the strapping striker warned that despite Italy enjoying favourite status they should expect a tough, close game.

"All the teams are finding it hard to win here. There are very difficult games with few chances and there is no doubt that in this World Cup it is very hard.

"Ecuador are a good side, we have to respect them and we have to go out on the field with the maximum concentration.

Ecuador are appearing in their first World Cup finals after an impressive qualification campaign which saw them finish above Brazil.

"On the whole we have seen very tight and balanced games. All the teams are very well prepared physically," added Vieri.

"We need to give 100 percent in these three games in our group, otherwise we can make a mess of things."

Italy's defence will be led by captain Paolo Maldini who is set to start his fourth World Cup and he's been part of a back three which conceded just three goals in qualification.

Against Ecuador, the trio of Maldini, Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro will be supplemented by Christian Panucci at right-back and Maldini says Italy are comprehensively prepared for Monday's game.

"We have done everything that we can," said Maldini.

"But the first match is always difficult and there is always a special emotion that is normal," added the Italy

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Ecuador coach Hernan Dario Gomez can not stop smiling as he looked forward to his team's World Cup finals debut against Italy.

"We are ready, we are content and we have been looking forward to this," he said after guiding his team through a light training session inside the futuristic Sapporo Dome stadium ahead of Monday's group G fixture against the three times champions.

"We respect Italy. Italy is one of the great football nations. We know that Italy has great tradition and we are expecting a difficult game. But we are not going to respect them too much."

"This will be a game when, for us, the challenge will be to win the ball and then to keep it," said coach Gomez. "That will be our main target. We need to do what the other teams, like Senegal, have done against champion opposition."

Gomez confirmed all of his squad were fit and named his expected team. He paid a rich tribute to his team's star player Alex Aguinaga, of the Mexican club Necaxa.

"Alex is a coach's dream," he said. "He is the right kind of player for this tournament and he has the ability to enjoy it. At his age, he deserves it."

Ecuador meet Mexico in their second group game next Sunday. Aguinaga, 33, has won 92 caps and the gifted playmaker is expected to play in front of a four-man midfield and just behind lone striker Agustin Delgado.

"We must not make mistakes, we have to work hard, keep the ball when we have it and be very solid. I know and we all know that everyone in Ecuador will be watching this game.

"We would be happy with a draw. We are realistic about this and we want to do a good job. None of us want to suffer a bad result in the opening game.

"It is going to be a very tactical game, yes," he said. "A lot of the play will be in midfield and we have to be certain that we keep the ball when we have it.

"If we don't we will be in trouble."

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TIME TO MAKE $$$

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 24, 2001
TORONTO, CANADA
Italy midfielder Cristiano Doni can hardly believe that he is about to start the World Cup as a key member of Giovanni Trapattoni's side.

Coach Trapattoni confirmed that Doni will start against Ecuador in Monday's opening group G match, with the Atalanta player handed the slot on the left of midfield.

Just two seasons ago Doni was playing Serie B football and the lank-haired 29-year-old has had to work his way up from the lower leagues having begun his career in Serie C2, Italy' s fourth division, with Rimini.

"It certainly is something that would have been unthinkable some time ago," Doni said on Saturday before heading off with the Italy team to Sapporo.

"I am excited but I am calm as well. It is a great opportunity and I want to take full advantage of this chance. But now I need to deliver," he added.

The Atalanta playmaker only made his debut for Italy in November, scoring after coming on as a substitute in a friendly game against Japan.

When he was named in Trapattoni's 23 for the finals he was considered as cover for Francesco Totti in the link-man role between midfield and attack, but with Trapattoni opting for an orthodox 4-4-2 line-up, Doni has found unexpected space on the left flank.

It is not Doni's natural role but he says he feels comfortable operating in any position in midfield.

"I have played in all midfield roles, left, right, centre and I am not a classic winger but I feel comfortable with the role," said Doni.

HARD CLIMB

Unlike Totti and Italy captain Paolo Maldini, who both made their Serie A debuts at 16, it has been a long hard climb up the ladder for Doni but he says he has benefited from that battle.

"I got a lot of positive experience out of those years, they helped to form my character and my personality," Doni said.

"I know that I have arrived late on the scene but I am not sure whether that is my fault or to my credit for having arrived in the end," the midfielder added.

"In the past I was not ready. I had to face a number of challenges and I guess there were many reasons why I was not ready. But I have improved, step-by-step and day-by-day and the important thing is that I believed it was possible," added Doni who has just completed a second successive season in Serie A with Atalanta.

Doni is reluctant to draw comparisons between himself and famous players of the past, nor is he willing to reveal his childhood role models, but it is difficult not to be reminded of former England winger Chris Waddle by Doni's rather awkward running-style but tricky skills and clinical finishing.

Asked about his similarity to the former Tottenham Hotspurs and Marseille winger, Doni's eyes lit up and he grinned.

But perhaps not too much should be read into his reaction.

Cristiano Doni has been doing an awful lot of smiling recently.