Italy v Croatia, Sat 8th June 5am ET

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni plans to start with the returning Filippo Inzaghi for Saturday's Group G match with Croatia in Ibaraki.

Inzaghi missed Italy's 2-0 win over Ecuador on Monday because of a knee injury.

But Inzaghi has recovered and Trapattoni will play him alongside Christian Vieri, whose two goals saw off Ecuador.

Trapattoni's one injury worry concerns midfielder Luigi di Biagio, who is hampered by an in-growing toenail.

Croatia coach Mirko Jozic has axed midfielder Robert Prosinecki and striker Davor Suker from the starting line-up for Saturday's game with Italy.

They were both substituted after poor showings in Croatia's 1-0 opening defeat to Mexico.

Dario Simic has recovered from injury but the defender is not assured of a place in Croatia's side.

One of the most intriguing matches in the first round brings together 1994's runners-up and 1998's third-placed side.

The two near neighbours from southern Europe are tipped by many to enjoy another good run in 2002.

But few would be surprised if this match is a tight affair, perhaps won by the only goal or a repeat of 1999's goalless friendly.

Club versus country

The following clubmates could find themselves facing each other in this match:-

Inter Milan
Francesco Toldo (Ita), Marco Materazzi (Ita), Luigi Di Biagio (Ita), Cristiano Zanetti (Ita), Christian Vieri (Ita) and Dario Simic (Cro)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATCH PREVIEW STATISTICS

EC Q = European Championship Qualifier
F = Friendly International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
05 Apr 1942 F Italy 4-0 Croatia
16 Nov 1994 EC Q Italy 1-2 Croatia
08 Oct 1995 EC Q Croatia 1-1 Italy
28 Apr 1999 F Croatia 0-0 Italy

MATCH SHORTS

Italy and Croatia have played each other three times since Croatia declared independence. Croatia are unbeaten in these three games.
The only other match between the two countries came back in 1942 when Croatia was also independent - the Italians won 4-0.
Croatia's Boris Zivkovic is suspended for this match, having been the first player sent off at this World Cup.
The only player in this match who has already received a yellow card is Italian defender Fabio Cannavaro.
Paolo Maldini played the full 90 minutes of his 20th World Cup match against Ecuador. This means he has yet to miss a minute of any of his games and a complete 90 minutes against Croatia will equal Uwe Seeler's World Cup record of 21 complete World Cup matches.
Maldini also became the sixth player to make any sort of appearance in at least 20 World Cup matches. The others were Lothar Matth?us, Diego Maradona, Wladyslaw Zmuda, Uwe Seeler and Grzegorz Lato.
Italian striker Christian Vieri is now just two goals away from equalling the record for most prolific Italian goalscorer at World Cups. Paolo Rossi and Roberto Baggio both scored nine World Cup goals whereas Vieri now has seven.
Angelo di Livio became the oldest outfield player to play for Italy in a World Cup when he came on as a substitute against Ecuador. The midfielder will be 36-years-old next month.
Robert Jarni, Davor ?uker and Mario Stanic are the only players to play in all eight of Croatia's World Cup matches.
Croatia's Robert Prosinecki will play his 50th international match for Croatia if he plays. He also represented Yugoslavia before Croatia gained independence.
Croatia's defeat against Mexico was their first reverse in 2002.
Italy are now unbeaten for 12 World Cup matches. If they avoid defeat against Croatia, they will equal the all-time World Cup record of 13 unbeaten matches held by Brazil between 1958 and 1966.
Italy have not conceded a goal at the World Cup since Austria scored against them in their final group match of 1998. The time since the ball last went into their net is 270 minutes as Austria's penalty in that game came in injury time.
Croatia are yet to draw a World Cup match.
Italy's last defeat in a competitive match came at the hands of France in Euro 2000. They have played nine times without defeat since then.
Zivkovic's red card was Croatia's first in the World Cup.

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Going to parlay Italy 4/9 (-225) & Brazil 1/8 (-800) @ SportingBet 3 Units win.

Much has been made of the discontent in the Croatian camp. This is an ageing team that will severely struggle to compete with the impressive Italians. The return of Inzaghi will bolster the Italian front line and I expect another comfortable 2-0 victory. I really don't think the Brazil game needs much comment. The odds kind of give away the quality gap.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
How we can play against Italy after we saw how Croatia plays Vs Mexico???

damn value!!!!!!

Javier :D

nostromo

Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
Europe
ex-player Asanovic predicts a positive result for Croatia...

...He has also predicted a 3-0 win against Mexico :moon:

Gorki

Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Good point KsYaS. But I expect completely different Croatia today. Players are emberresed by showing nothing with Mexico. That was the worst Croatian game ever and I hope that was just a bad day. Temperature and humidity killed aged croatian stars in that game.
Croatian coach'll take few changes. Suker and Prosinecki are out and some younger players will play (Rapajic, Vugrinec...), so much more running are expected.

Croatia @ 9.00 :eek:
Croatia +0.5 @ 2.60
HT-FT Italy-Croatia @ 51.00

This are long shots, but I see some value cause Croatia is playing do or die match.
I'm also counting on Italy to take Croatia easy.
Good luck with your plays :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ChuckyTheGoat

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2000
What a game, boys!

What a game, boys!

That was the best game of the tournament.

Drama, questionable calls. Italy hit a post, plus they had 2 goals disallowed.

Incredible game. Congrats on reelin in the big fish, Gorki. (Damn close to nailing that 51/1 shot!)

Andy

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2001
CA USA
Alot of controversy calls in this game. 2 dis-allow goals called by the refs, one by Vieri and one Inzaghi. I've been watching the World Cups since 90, but I never seen so many bad officiatings. They will be talking about this game for a while. Italy just got no luck today, first losing Nesta is a devastating to their defense, the 2 dis-allow goal and the free kick hit the post by Totti. Damn it.

Andy

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Italy did have some harsh calls. However, I have never seen an Italian side get rattled like that when being 1-0 up with 20 mins to go. Nesta was a big loss and they couldn't cope with any pace running at them. Still should have been 2-2 though. This is looking like the most open World Cup in years.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Gorki

Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
I had just a regular bet on Croatia but enough profit to cover my losing bets so far in this tournament. :D

Yep, seem like regular goal is disallowed for Italy but bad refereeing is part of this game as well as injuries. Croatian best defender Tudor was out for this WC before it started.
Inzaghi's goal was disallowed correctly IMHO.

To all italian friends: stop whineing and start winning and you'll have rematch to Croatia in semis. ;)

Hope noone lose big on this match. That was WC France '98. bronze medalist you were betting against. :nono:

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
Croatia and Mexico or Italy and Mexico will pass!!! hehe :moon:

Javier :D

Last edited: