Jack Painter

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mephisto

Band User
Forum Member
Apr 13, 2005
Getting my kicks on Route 666
Any of you older guys that knew him? He died sometime in the 80s I'm told, and if you recognize his name then you'll already know him for having taught the first college handicapping course at Clark County Community College. He allegedly taught 1,200 students how to handicap sports. Supposedly, in 1984 15 of his students won more than $100,000 in Vegas handicapping contests.

I knew a very intelligent football bettor who took the course and spoke quite highly of Jack (especially in regard to construction of power ratings) and so when I saw a 12 hour tape series of Painters on ebay (from 1985 that supposedly mimicked his course) I bought it. For the most part I was disappointed and he gave the impression that he was very theoretical and did not have hard numbers to back up his many systems. Furthermore, things he said made me suspicious that he was shilling for various information services (remember this is before the internet). I didn't have the manual that went with the tapes and it's kinda hard to tell about these things 20 yrs later.

So I did some internet work and came across someone who also took the course and was very skeptical of his claims. Said he drove a very old beat up car and his opinion was that Painter didn't actually bet seriously. So to me, it kinda sounded like, those who can do, and those who can't teach.

Just thought someone might know him and have an opinion. Also, as he was a football 'capper I might should put this on the football forum but doubt anyon'e's really over there now.

Also,if you're wondering i only paid $20 for the tapes but they sold for $290 new back in 1985 (with the manual included) thanks,