KATTS theory of "crowd capping"

TORONTO-VIGILANTE

ad interim...
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
"...Quo fas et gloria ducunt..."
I remember a little ways back..KATTS came up with an interesting theory of capping the crowd and seeing how teams fared when they had a full house, or a less than capacity crowd.

If you wanna get the attendance of each NHL games you can go here and do number crunching to your heart's content...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teamsched?team=njd&season=2001

it's NJ's whole sched...but you can go to each other teams page and get the individual attendaces of each team...

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
Call me stupid but: how do you know the attendance of a game before the start of that game. Of course you can use average for the year but how does this effect a single game.
Ususally a team not performing will not attract crowd, wich factor is related to wich factor?

I dont feel to hot about this system but if you can show me wrong i'll be the first to admit so.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Ususally a team not performing will not attract crowd

THERE you go Frog
wink.gif

That's why I said the posted stats were kinda meaningless.

However it still seems to have some effect on some teams... I'll eventually go deeper in the subject.

As for for the attendance's "guesstimate", you can usually make a good one studying some trends. For instance, when the Canadiens play on the road, you usually have more pepople in the arena, specially in places like LA, Phoenix, Florida and all the Canadian cities, where you have a lot of ex-Quebecers. When the game is in New Jersey, it's almost sure to be sold-out if the visitors are the Rangers. In places like Colorado, Detroit and New York, then it's always full, no matter who is playing, no matter the day of the week.

So my conclusion: if you're going to "cap the crowd", be careful with it, it can be pretty foolish. Maybe a total waste of time, too. But like a certain "Tom Waits" would say: "Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life."

Err.. yeah. Something like that.

Frogy

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2000
Quebec, Canada
Hey Katts, glad to see you are still around.
Was thinking about you the other day.
Whit everything you went thru i hope that all is fine and that we will see again your post on the pen box

wannabe whale

Forum Member
Mar 3, 2000
Rochester, NY
I do not really buy into the "crowd" theory as much as I do-revenge games or "special event games(like Lindros back to Philly or Hasek back against Buff. Buffalo is a very weak Arena-the fans are not very loud and although they played well there last year-this year will be a toss-up. Fans are down on the team and Biron will be????..wait and see.
If the Sabres are like other teams-the crowds are excited for Div rivals-Leafs and when good teams that normally don't come often-Avs-Wings-Stars.
I do agree that are certain nights that a team is going to be flat at home and I will try and help to show these.
Loking forward to puck. 43 days to opener in Buff!!

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Thanks for the thoughts Frogy - that's allright. I'm feeling ok right now.

Only thing is.. I've just realized that I wasted WAY too much time this summer. I had some "things" I wanted to finish before the next season begins and I'm not quite sure if everything will be ready in time.

DAM I just CAN'T believe September is allready knocking at our doors......

Bet on MyBookie