Kobayashi

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
The greatest athlete of any sport..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...949&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee: Japan's six-time defending hot dog eating champion, whose achy jaw could bar him from next week's annual New York competition, said he can only open his mouth to the width of two of his fingers.

"Right now, it's not so good, but I've been talking to professionals and taking their advice," Takeru Kobayashi told the Chattanooga Times Free Press speaking through a translator in a phone interview Friday from his New York hotel. "They've been giving me exercises for relaxing the muscles and giving me some things I can do to relax and heal my jaw."

Kobayashi said this week that misaligned wisdom teeth and his voracious competitive eating career have led to painful arthritis in his jaw.

Kobayashi dismissed reports of speculation on Chestnut's part that his jaw ailment could be a mental ploy to lull his main opponent into complacency ahead of the Coney Island contest.

"That's not even funny," he said. "I don't even have time to think about that."

Kobayashi also said he hopes to return to Chattanooga's Krystal hamburger eating contest in the fall to defend his title as reigning champion.

Last year he broke his own record, taking eight minutes to down 97 soft, square burgers. Chestnut came in second, downing 91 Krystals.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
The greatest athlete of any sport..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...949&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee: Japan's six-time defending hot dog eating champion, whose achy jaw could bar him from next week's annual New York competition, said he can only open his mouth to the width of two of his fingers.

".

the thing is that kobeoshi does not open his mouth more than two inchs as he stuffs two hot dogs in at a time.

so at least he is truthfull there.

I got to think he is trying to get into Chestnuts head a little and then Kobyeashi will eat like a 100 nathans with mustard and relish on the side.
\

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Kobayashi-shove-thumb.jpg

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
joey chestnut broke the record in a qualifying tourney...

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
Saw a girl on The Today show this AM. She holds 39 world records. The call her the Black Widow only weighs 105#. Says she'll do 40 in this years contest.

Reactions: Blackman
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
Saw a girl on The Today show this AM. She holds 39 world records. The call her the Black Widow only weighs 105#. Says she'll do 40 in this years contest.

Yeah Sonya Thomas. She was impressive last year.

Last edited:

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
koby is a go..i do think that he was trying to lull chestnut into complacency..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
Place your bets

Final odds:

Joey Chestnut: 4-5

Takeru Kobayashi: 1-1

Field: 20-1

Mr.

Director
Forum Member
Nov 22, 1999
Toronto, ON
got 300 on chestnut -150 @ sbg
200 on not chestnut +235 at 5dimes
and 110 on over 57 -110 @ 5dimes

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Destructor D

Destructor
Forum Member
Dec 6, 2005
Kansas City, MO
I can't believe what I just witnessed.

Chestnut 66 Kobayashi 63... WOW:00hour

Personally, I really enjoy this contest. What an awesome display of eating. They both shatter the world record and it was very close until the end. Excellent Entertainment.

SpursDynasty

Forum Member
Oct 29, 2005
Long Beach, California
That was fun.

The announcers was hillarious.

One of them said in a bill walton style, "The greatest moment in American Sports History". GIve this guy some more work :mj07:

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
one of the guys dedicated the contest to nikki hilton, because she is always in the shadow of her sister:com:

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
I might have to attend this thing next year, if watching people shove hot dogs down their throats isn't pure Americana, then I don't know what is.

Chestnut being draped in the flag was a nice touch as well.

The Mustard Belt is Back!!!

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Chestnut smashes world record, beats Kobayashi for title

Associated Press
Updated: July 4, 2007, 3:46 PM ET

NEW YORK -- In a gut-busting showdown that combined drama, daring and indigestion, Joey Chestnut emerged Wednesday as the world's hot dog eating champion, knocking off six-time winner Takeru Kobayashi in a record-setting yet repulsive triumph.

Chestnut, the great red, white and blue hope in the annual Fourth of July competition, broke his own world record by inhaling 66 hot dogs in 12 minutes -- a staggering one every 10.9 seconds before a screaming crowd in Coney Island.

"If I needed to eat another one right now, I could,'' the 23-year-old Californian said after receiving the mustard yellow belt emblematic of hot dog eating supremacy.

Kobayashi, the Japanese eating machine, recently had a wisdom tooth extracted and received chiropractic treatment due to a sore jaw. But the winner of every Nathan's hot dog competition from 2001 to 2006 showed no ill effects as he stayed with Chestnut frank-for-frank until the very end of the 12-minute competition.

Once the contest ended, the runner-up suffered a reversal -- competitive eating-speak for barfing -- leading to a deduction from his final total. Kobayashi finished with 63 HDBs (hot dogs and buns eaten) in his best performance ever.

Competitors receive credit for anything in their mouths at the 12-minute mark, provided they can swallow it.

"Obviously, the last bit exited his mouth quite dramatically,'' said Rich Shea of the International Federation of Competitive Eating. Kobayashi's gastric distress was the only sour note in the tube-steak tussle, which aired nationally on ESPN.

Kobayashi's previous best was 53? in the competition that dates back to 1916. The all-time record before Wednesday's remarkable contest was Chestnut's 59?, set just last month in Phoenix.

The two gustatory gladiators quickly distanced themselves from the rest of the 17 competitors, processing more beef than a slaughterhouse within the first few minutes. The two had each downed 60 hot dogs with 60 seconds to go when Chestnut -- the veins on his forehead extended -- put away the final franks to end Kobayashi's reign.

Kobayashi, through a translator, promised to return for the 2008 event.

The victory by the San Jose, Calif., resident ended Japan's long dominance of the contest. The only previous non-Japanese winner since 1996 was New Jersey's Steve Keiner in 1999. Third place this year went to another American, Patrick Bertoletti of Chicago, with 49.

"This title's been held by Kobayashi for six years, so it's about time it came home,'' said Chestnut, holding an American flag in his arms. "I knew going into this contest that Kobayashi was going to give 100 percent.''

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg