Korey Stringer

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Happy'Capper

Forum Member
Nov 6, 1999
La Crosse, WI
It was reported across the AP wire that MN Vikings All Pro tackle Korey Stringer passed away this morning in a Mankato, MN hospital from heart failure, from extreme heat stroke. It was said it was directly attributed to yesterday's practice in the extreme heat.

Wow, talk about tragic........

HC

BahamaMama

not banned
Forum Member
Dec 6, 1999
Davenport, Iowa
EXTREMELY tragic!!!! this goes back to the *tragically* referred to deaths of athletes killed while drag racing, driving drunk, thinking they are invincible, etc......... yes, they in their own way are tragic, too, but this is a whole different story. They had absolutely no business practicing in this weather. heat warnings are issued for a reason.

Kevin

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 19, 1999
www.predictem.com
frown.gif

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Bonovox

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
NY, NY, USA
It's a tragedy, but it's a fluke. High school and college teams practice in that kind of heat every single day and no one dies. Florida and Texas teams get the heat and humidity and Arizona teams practice in insane heat. In high school, we had 2 a days every day in heat up to 112 in the desert outside of LA.

It's a tragedy, but there was no way to prevent it. You can't cancel practice just because it's hot.

Subagoto

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2001
Virginia
none
There have been several incidents lately, the last being just a few weeks ago in Florida. They are fluke, isolated incidents to be sure, but to say noone dies is not entirely accurate. You are right, there really is no way to entirely prevent it other than taking precautions, which they do already.

Roger

Forum Member
Oct 12, 1999
AUSTIN
18 high school & college players since 1995 is not a fluke...how many more are close to the edge every single day of collapsing and going in to a coma? I played high school ball and I can tell you there were days during two-a-days in august that I thought I was going to die...not from pain or a viscious hit...but the heat...granted there's not much you can do and every precaution is probably taken...but to say it's a fluke is inaccurate...with a florida player dying last week and now Stringer today...how many high school parents (especially mothers) are going stop allowing their son's to play ball because of the fear they may lose them? serious debate will follow, I'm sure...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

JT

Degenerate
Forum Member
Mar 28, 2000
Ventura, Ca.
What I would like to know is if he
suffered Heat Stroke in the past.
Have it once and your chances to have
another increase dramatically.

Roger

Forum Member
Oct 12, 1999
AUSTIN
heat stroke is not a genetic disease...anyone can get it...it has to do with your body not having enough fluids to properly regulate and maintain itself causing vital organs to shut down...

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 08-01-2001).]

Nick Douglas

Forum Member
Oct 31, 2000
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I read that he suffered mild heat stroke the day before and vomited during practice three times the day that he suffered the major heat stroke. I can't even tell you how sad I was when I heard about it this morning.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Bonovox

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
NY, NY, USA
18 kids have died since 1995. To me, that is absolutely the definition of a fluke. Multiply how many kids across America play football every day by how many days a year they practice and divide it by 18. I promise you the number is 0.00000something. That is a fluke. Is getting hit by lightning a fluke? I would say yes. Well, many time more people get killed by lightning that by playing football.

Of course there are precautions that can be taken, and I'm sure they were. Anyone who has played football knows how many people barf every practice. Every team has a "Chunky" that throws up every game and practice. Our team had 3 guys that threw up every practice.

How many moms will stop their kids from playing football? Only the irrational ones. 18 kids in 6 years. Those are damn good odds. You are much more likely to get hit crossing the street, or having your car blown up or crashing in an airplane.

You don't even want to know how many kids die in car crashes every year.

18 in 6 years is terrible tragedy - but it's still a fluke.

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
There was an outstanding running back from Toledo that had already commited to Ohio State that died about two months ago. Really tragic. Supposed to have been a really really nice kid. He wasn't heavy at all. As a matter of fact he weighed 225 and ran 4.3's

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Bonovox

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
NY, NY, USA
Drushaun Humphrey was the kid from Ohio. He died from a heart attack in a pick up basketball game in May. Wasn't due to heat at all.

He was 6'3 240 and ran a 4.4.

The National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research in Chapel Hill, N.C., says at least five high school athletes have died in the United States this school year from heart problems.

That's more kids dying from freak heart attacks than from heat stroke each year.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Very Sad. It was reported his body temp was 108.3. At that point this Doc said your body just turns off. Yes to who ever said he had been some what sick the day before. Sounds like that is true. If so the coaches and trainers should have had a close eye on him. Very Sad.

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
This is a tragedy, big tragedy....

I feel sorry for the Stringer family and my sympathies go out to them. I used to have two roomates who played football for Nebraska and started on their Offensive Line. The two a day summer workouts are the worst especially for those players who are very big. They get cramps, muscles tighten up and lay on the ground from pain sometimes because of the combination of the extreme workouts and hot temperatures. Sometimes it is fatal, and there have been deaths.

This is really too bad and an extreme tragedy for a very respected NFL player.
frown.gif

kneifl

[This message has been edited by kneifl (edited 08-01-2001).]

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Roger

Forum Member
Oct 12, 1999
AUSTIN
when you're talking about the worldwide population and getting hit by lightening, or getting hit crossing the street, then yes it would be a definite fluke...we are talking about football players during the heat of summer...sure the percentages are low that you'll die...but to call working out in 100+ degree weather...in full pads...and then collapsing and going in to a coma a fluke...then so be it...
cool.gif