Larry Legend speaks out

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
ESPN.com
KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. -- Larry Bird says he wants to see more white superstars in the NBA, but the legendary former Celtic has also revealed that nothing in basketball bothered him more than being guarded by another white player.

Bird made the comments during an ESPN special that will air Thursday at 7 p.m. ET featuring Bird's longtime rival, Magic Johnson, and rookies LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. The one-hour discussion is called "Two on Two."

ESPN host Jim Gray asked Bird whether the NBA lacks enough white superstars.

"Well, I think so," said Bird, the Indiana Pacers' president of basketball operations. "You know, when I played, you had me and Kevin [McHale] and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Johnson, a Lakers part owner, quickly added: "We need some more LBs -- Larry Birds. ... Larry Bird, you see, can go into any neighborhood. When you say 'Larry Bird,' black people know who he is, Hispanics, whites, and they give him the respect."

Cleveland's James and Denver's Anthony, both 19, were also asked about race during the sitdown, which took place in the tiny gym used as Hickory High's homecourt in the movie "Hoosiers."

Asked by Gray if race is an issue in the NBA, James said: "I don't think so. I think the fans look at the game, [they're] not looking at the race. [They're] looking who can play basketball. Or who's athletic. ... When you [were] a kid and you used to go outside, it didn't matter who was the best player in the league. If Bird was my favorite player, I'm out shooting threes. ... If Magic was my [favorite] player, I'm out there throwing my best passes. It's not the race issue. If you can play the game of basketball, you know fans are gonna love you."

Said Anthony: "Race is not an issue. Where I'm from, people love the Yao Mings, the Dirks, the Pejas. They love them guys. I don't think race is an issue right now."

Yet later in the discussion, Bird described being guarded by another white in his prime as "disrespect."

"The one thing that always bothered me when I played in the NBA was I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me," Bird said. "I still don't understand why. A white guy would come out (and) I would always ask him: 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did your coach do this to you?' And he'd go, 'No,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' ... For some reason, that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy.

"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me -- red, yellow, black," Bird added. "I just didn't want a white guy guarding me. Because it's disrespect to my game."

Said Magic: "His game, you see, Larry Bird was the only [white] guy that was mentioned in the barbershop. ...'Cause that's where all the talking in our community is, the barbershop or on the playground."

Bird has declined to comment further, according to a Pacers spokesman, and NBA commissioner David Stern said he would reserve comment until seeing the entire interview.

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
If he catches shit for this then I don't get it. He's basically saying "white guys suck". If you can't put down your own race anymore then what is left...?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Kdogg21

who?
Forum Member
Dec 8, 2001
Chicago,IL
I totally agree with him. The NBA is now just a league where people try to dunk the ball and make the highlight reel. Nobody can make a nice jump shot anymore or anything. Games used to be great when they would average into the 100's, but now your lucky if anyteam can break the 80 point mark. I used to be a big fan of the NBA, but now the league is really run by a bunch of high school kids.

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
Wilson said:
Once again, the truth is held hostage by politically correct.

:rolleyes:

Huh?? WTF are you talking about? He gave his opinion.... what was "held hostage"?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
i think

i think

wilson is referring to the fact that bird IS taking flak in certain circles.......for basically speaking the truth....

do black folks enjoy seeing black qb`s in the nfl?....just listen to a radio talk show in baltimore....many black folks want kordell stewart or anthony wright to play qb for the ravens....regardless of the 1st round pick the ravens spent to obtain kyle boller...

and i think that`s o.k....what`s wrong with rooting for your peeps?.....does that make you a racist or a bad person?....

i don`t think so....

bird said that black athletes are the best athletes in the world....overall,who can dispute that....they excel in practically every individual athletic sport that takes strength and coordination.......track and field and boxing for example...

i think you have to struggle to see anything wrong with his remarks....

white men can`t jump?.....some can....but there`s some truth to it...

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
Bird's wrong. Maybe the "black athelite" is currently the best at hoops, but the Europeans are going to dominate this game in 20 years.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
and

and

boxing....and track and field....they run faster....they jump higher.....the quickest are almost always black....

they are better athletes on the whole.....

the best runningbacks......how many starting white cornerbacks are there in the nfl?....probably the most athletically demanding position in the nfl.....

i don`t think it`s an issue....or an embarrassment....it just is....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Seems more and more track folks are getting in trouble like the Basebal players. Has something to do with getting a little extra from those special vitimins.
I think Black, White, Yellow, Brown should be able to say what ever is on there mind. Then is some folks dont like it go ahead and debate it. Better said in the first place then this hide the feeling chit going on now.

shamrock

Forum Member
Aug 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I sure don't see the problem, although Jimmy the Greek was fired for saying practically the same thing, same idea anyway.

And that is classic Larry Bird, brutally honest, all the time.

ticali24

Forum Member
Apr 29, 2004
California
I don't find anything wrong with any of Bird's comments. He was speaking the truth as he sees it.

Anyone who takes offense at his honest comments is going a bit over board IMHO.

Let's turn this around, if Grant Fuhr were asked if he would like to see more black NHL stars and he said "yes, I think it would be good for the game"

Would we hear any bleating?

Anyone who takes offense to this comment Bird made should go flush their heads down the toilet. He was being altruistic, wanting an equally balanced, racially represented society. I guess that only is acceptable when "oppressed minorities" are under-represented in the realm being discussed.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Wilson

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2002
1813 Virginia St
Re: i think

Re: i think

gardenweasel said:
wilson is referring to the fact that bird IS taking flak in certain circles.......for basically speaking the truth....

do black folks enjoy seeing black qb`s in the nfl?....just listen to a radio talk show in baltimore....many black folks want kordell stewart or anthony wright to play qb for the ravens....regardless of the 1st round pick the ravens spent to obtain kyle boller...

and i think that`s o.k....what`s wrong with rooting for your peeps?.....does that make you a racist or a bad person?....

i don`t think so....

bird said that black athletes are the best athletes in the world....overall,who can dispute that....they excel in practically every individual athletic sport that takes strength and coordination.......track and field and boxing for example...

i think you have to struggle to see anything wrong with his remarks....

white men can`t jump?.....some can....but there`s some truth to it...

exactly what I meant ;)

crimson

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2003
of course bird as right and it can be extended furter that bball.
look at the increased black interest in golf with tiger woods. all the sudden black kids are watching/ playing golf and foundations are set up in low income areas to foster golf recreation. look at tennis and the williams sisters. seems to me that it is cross cultural and extends to every walk of life/entertainment. more blacks go to see soul plane, while more whites go to troy or something

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
Wilson said:
Once again, the truth is held hostage by politically correct.

:rolleyes:
-

YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!

Yeah, you have to wonder what would happen if Barkley said this. Wouldn't even warrant a post ;)

TJBELL

Forum Member
Jul 22, 2001
Port Richey, Florida
Not a prejudiced person at all. Not really sure how to judge Larrys comments, but think about this:

The Wayan's brothers are coming out with a movie called,"White Chicks" What if 2 white guys came out with a movie called,"Black Chicks"??????

What if there were a WET? (White Entertainment Television)???

How about a NAAWP????? (Instead of NAACP)????

Just trying to figure out this whole racial thing! Blacks and whites will always be in sports. Does it really matter????

Can't we all just get along????? :shrug:

crimson

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2003
good point tjbell, but while I do not consider myself prejudice-I think that by societal standards the majority of people-including myself- would be judged as a racist. it alll goes back to wilson and the politically correctness that our society has evolved under

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg