Lewis/Johnson NOT PPV

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Excellent news from HBO today.

Lewis/Johnson will not be PPV, giving us this big time heavyweight bout (with Vitaly K on the undercard) in June in addition to Ward/Gatti III.

de La Hoya/Mosley set for Sept 13th, too. Start saving your PPV $$$.

gordmania

Forum Member
Apr 10, 2003
wow

wow

a heavyweight champion can't even draw for a pay per view
is ward/gatti on that card?
one of those 2 will die in that ring.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
surprisingly enough

surprisingly enough

ppv cards have been pitiful recently...the major bouts are all on cable....de la hoya-campas is on ppv....and toney-jirov is on cable....forrest-mayorga cable....the gatti-ward bouts cable....now they have mauricio pastrana and trejo fighting on ppv?this is a very good bout,but,if you aren`t a rabid boxing guy,you probably don`t know who the hell these guys are....are the cable bouts generating more money nowadays?....it seems very odd....maybe people just aren`t getting up off the 29 to 49 bucks a pop...

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TheShrimp

Forum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Yep.

It really seems like PPV is being more and more geared towards the Hispanic contingency of this country. They know any De La Hoya bout is going to be bought by every mexican fight fan in the counrty just like Tyson is bought by every other fight fan in the country.

But definitely, HBO is the king of the fighting broadcast game. Like you said, I'd like to see more of these flyweights out there -- instead of Spadafora fighting in Pittsburgh every six months -- but the marketing has to start somewhere. I pick up the occasional Ring magazine, and spend some time at Boxing websites, but it's not an easy sport to stay on top of all the real deals. HBO has a pretty good record of finding exciting fighters, belts or not, but they're bound to miss someone too.

I just read in SI that NBC is dipping their toes back into the fight game, airing one last weekend, this weekend, and the following weekend. I think during the afternoon or something.