Line changes for Dallas

TexasBC6

Forum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Austin, TX
Tonight, Hitchcock has already made some line changes, here is the article...

Hitchcock shakes up lineup
Coach says move not demotion, but Audette checks into new line

10/09/2001

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Changes were promised. Changes were delivered.

? Kings-Stars preview
For rookie Niko Kapanen, Monday's new lines meant his NHL debut will come Tuesday when the Stars play the Los Angeles Kings. If practice is any indication, it will come on the team's first line with Mike Modano and fellow Finn Jere Lehtinen.
For summer free-agent acquisition Donald Audette, the switches put him at least temporarily on the team's checking line as part of a four-man practice group.

For the second line, the changes included the addition of Jamie Langenbrunner as a feisty right wing with Pierre Turgeon and Brenden Morrow.

Even though the Stars were blanked, 3-0, by the Carolina Hurricanes, the moves by coach Ken Hitchcock were a search for consistent work, not consistent scoring.

"We need to address it, and not hope it turns around. We need to help it turn around," Hitchcock said. "If it means sending people messages, if it means sending the team a message, if it means people having to step up their games ...

"You can get out of it what you put into it. And, quite frankly, we haven't put enough into it."

Hitchcock still wasn't sure who would sit out with Kapanen entering the lineup or if veteran Benoit Hogue would also get into the lineup.

Kapanen, 23, realized something was new at practice Monday, as in the color of his practice jersey, the ones used to designate lines. He had been a healthy scratch for the team's first two games.

"Hitch didn't tell me anything," Kapanen said. "I came here, looked around the room for what is my shirt color. I saw it was red. Then I looked and Jere had red and Mike had red. Of course, it was big surprise. But that's good."

Kapanen had earned the final roster spot by combining skill with hard work. He has played in the world championships for Finland and shown the ability to compete against NHL players despite being 5-9 and 190 pounds.

Audette was conspicuous by his presence on the fourth line and even took a hard tumble doing a drill with assistant coach Craig Ludwig. But Hitchcock refused to characterize the move as a demotion.

"He's just one of the guys like everybody else," Hitchcock said. "It's not about one player. It could be somebody else the next game. This isn't about this player and that player. This is about our group, our whole team.

"I'll make changes until I find a combination that I think works here and 'work' is in the word 'works.' "

Audette played 20 minutes a game in Atlanta and Buffalo last season, scoring 34 goals. He's averaging about 12 minutes in the first two Stars game.

"I'm working hard and trying to adjust and trying to change a little bit," Audette said. "Sometimes you try to think out there, and it doesn't come natural. I'm trying to learn every day."

Modano understands.

"The confidence of guys can shake and be rattled a little bit, and they put their hands in their air and wonder what they're supposed to do," Modano said. "You just try to be there for them and be a soundboard and tell them that things will come around and things will change and be all right ? to hang in there, believe in yourself and your talent."

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
audette now a healthy scratch for tonight's game...........................

Audette scratched from Stars' lineup

10/09/2001

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Three months ago, right wing Donald Audette was a major free-agent acquisition for the Stars, signing a four-year, $12 million contract after a 34-goal season.

Now he's a healthy scratch, watching the Stars host the Los Angeles Kings three games into the season Tuesday. Audette learned of the decision at Tuesday's morning skate.

"He's trying to learn that other attributes are more important than goals," Hitchcock said.

"I'll try to adjust," Audette said. "I'm not going to adjust as a player. That's the way I am. I can adjust to the team."

There's a limit, Audette seemed to imply.

"If (Hitchcock) didn't want a player like me, he shouldn't have come and got me," Audette said.

But Hitchcock isn't about to negotiate with Audette or anybody else who he doesn't think understands what the Stars are trying to build.

"He can read whatever he wants into it," Hitchcock said. "But all I know right now, he's definitely a guy that we need a lot more from."

Audette knows that in a battle of wills, the coach has the upper hand and acknowledged as much.

"I have to do it. If want to play, I have to do it," Audette said. "I'm trying to do it. The coach, if he likes you, will put you out there and that's the only guy who can put you on the ice. You have to put him on your side and I'm going to do everything I can to put him on my side so I can go out there and do my stuff."

[This message has been edited by wigs (edited 10-09-2001).]

Bet on MyBookie