Line movement and false information!!!

hobbs

Forum Member
Nov 14, 2002
Look,

You guys know I have been strugglin. But if you have also noticed I have started to make strides in the right direction. Things I cant stand on this board are bashing or people giving false... or stupid information with no basis.

Year to date 21 wins 30 losses
over .500 goal week 13-8

I work hard at this and I dont like it when cool peeps like JB22 get people jumping in his post rubbing in a loss. You guys have been great to me and I appreciate it. Recently someone, I think River boat made some bonehead statement about line movement.

"If a game moves 3 points across the pick line go against the public". "Bet opposite of the public and you will win EVERY time."

THIS IS FALSE!!

Line movements happen for many many reasons, and simple statements like this is what make people lose money. There are several examples this season that debunk this. Honestly I could not find in my brief research how many of these hit, I ONLY found a few that DISPROVE this statement.

Dec. 3rd
UNLV -1... Line moved to Or st. -2... according to the theory we should take UNLV, or against the public... result Ore st. 69-63

Dec 7th
Gtech -1... line moved to Georgia -3.... according to the theory we should take Gtech, or against the public... result Georgia rolls.

Dec. 10
St. Joes -2... line moves to Ohio st. -1... according to the theory we should take St. Joes, or against the public... result Ohio st. 81-74

Look,

I am NOT here to bash on ANYONE. RIVER BOAT I am sure you are probably an ok guy, but when you throw out stuff like this simpleton statement about line movements it is not good for the forum.

Now, does this theory have some legs?? Well, these were only a few examples, but I would say no. Too many varibles contribute to line movement to take this theory seriously.

Guys, thanks so much for being so great to me during my bad stretch. I am starting to turn it around and be a good contributer to the forum. Take care all... you too River Boat, and best of luck this season and happy holidays!!!

buddy

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Hobbs,

I'm one of your fans.

GENERALLY SPEAKING, a line move of 3 or more is an" indicator" to CONSIDER the other side.

When anyone in this forum uses words like "lock", or "never" or "always", chances are these are young kids looking for money to get them through the weekend.

Do yourself a favor....don't even dignify that kind of stupidity with a reply.

There are several very good regular handicappers on this site who post info which is not only sensible, but also hard to find. These guys are the "bricks and mortar" of this site.

But this is the internet. The same freedoms are shared among reputable handicappers and forum idiots.

Just seperate the wheat from the chaffe and you'll do fine.

sdf

Forum Member
Mar 22, 2002
if the line moves 3 points, who's to say it's the PUBLIC moving it?
i would think in cbb, it's rare the public moves the lines.

insider

Forum Member
Aug 30, 2000
hobbs said:
Look,

You guys know I have been strugglin. But if you have also noticed I have started to make strides in the right direction. Things I cant stand on this board are bashing or people giving false... or stupid information with no basis.

Year to date 21 wins 30 losses
over .500 goal week 13-8

I work hard at this and I dont like it when cool peeps like JB22 get people jumping in his post rubbing in a loss. You guys have been great to me and I appreciate it. Recently someone, I think River boat made some bonehead statement about line movement.

"If a game moves 3 points across the pick line go against the public". "Bet opposite of the public and you will win EVERY time."

THIS IS FALSE!!

Line movements happen for many many reasons, and simple statements like this is what make people lose money. There are several examples this season that debunk this. Honestly I could not find in my brief research how many of these hit, I ONLY found a few that DISPROVE this statement.

Dec. 3rd
UNLV -1... Line moved to Or st. -2... according to the theory we should take UNLV, or against the public... result Ore st. 69-63

Dec 7th
Gtech -1... line moved to Georgia -3.... according to the theory we should take Gtech, or against the public... result Georgia rolls.

Dec. 10
St. Joes -2... line moves to Ohio st. -1... according to the theory we should take St. Joes, or against the public... result Ohio st. 81-74

Look,

I am NOT here to bash on ANYONE. RIVER BOAT I am sure you are probably an ok guy, but when you throw out stuff like this simpleton statement about line movements it is not good for the forum.

Now, does this theory have some legs?? Well, these were only a few examples, but I would say no. Too many varibles contribute to line movement to take this theory seriously.

Guys, thanks so much for being so great to me during my bad stretch. I am starting to turn it around and be a good contributer to the forum. Take care all... you too River Boat, and best of luck this season and happy holidays!!!

FYI, its not the public that moves a line like that in cbb. It is most likely "the golfer" or another syndicate group. He probably averages about 57-58% so if you want to fade that then go for it.

Bet on MyBookie