Local Boston Bruins Info

the mugs

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Cranston, RI, USA
Today's tidbits...

On paper, the Bruins' power play looks woeful. They have converted just once in their last 41 opportunities over a span of 12 games.

Their last goal on the man-advantage came Nov. 10 during a 5-1 loss to Columbus, but general manager Mike O'Connell said this isn't troubling to him.

''These things go in cycles,'' said O'Connell, whose club will take on the Thrashers in Atlanta tonight. ''All of a sudden, you score two goals. They put in one and the other one is a bad clearing pass that someone knocks down. All of a sudden, you're two for three and it's, `Wow, the power play is going.' It's more about how it's playing.''

O'Connell likes the personnel he has and is satisfied that the team is getting chances. He would like to see more goals, but he said every club in the league feels that way.

''Any time anything is not going along at the right clip, it's a concern,'' he said. ''Of course you wish you'd score more on it. But I can't complain about the power play. We're getting good chances, we're getting good penetration. Could we have more? Of course we could. We have to establish that point shot a little bit more to open things up down low.

''The team has been working at it and we'll see how it goes. I think the last game [against Ottawa], we moved the puck around very well. Some of the best teams in the league, the power play doesn't work at all.

''It's hard to figure out sometimes. Teams that don't have the greatest personnel can have great power plays. I'm pleased with the way the puck was moved around during the last game.''

The Bruins had a 1-0 lead on the Senators with less than six minutes to play Saturday night and wound up losing in overtime. Much has been made about the lack of killer instinct but O'Connell said he believes it's coming.

''I think we're developing that,'' he said. ''I think we have a tendency to not give ourselves enough credit at times and give ourselves too much credit at times. We get a goal scored against us and we don't know if we're going to score again. If we start thinking we can score and believing that one or two goals isn't going to beat us, I think it's an attitude we have to develop. That takes time with some scoring. I think we can score more if we start thinking we can score more.''

The Bruins certainly do n't lack for shots. In all but two games this season, they've outshot the opposition, usually by a significant margin.

''We get a lot of shots,'' said O'Connell. ''I think we can take it to the net more, bring it there. I think the team has played very well for the most part over the last couple of weeks.

''The players are starting to identify where they are, how they fit. I think we have a ways to go to develop an attitude, a belief, that if we keep trying to score, we're going to continue to score, and the goaltenders are going to have to be very good to stop us.''

No call on Sweeney yet

The training staff was waiting to see how defenseman Don Sweeney was feeling yesterday morning. They got their answer when Sweeney, who pulled a rib cage muscle on his second shift against the Senators, went through the entire practice at Ristuccia Center before departing for Atlanta. A final decision about his availability for tonight will likely be rendered at the morning skate ... The club recalled defenseman Jonathan Girard and forward Ivan Huml from Providence. Coach Robbie Ftorek said he likes giving deserving prospects a look between Thanksgiving and Christmas. At practice, Huml was skating on a line with center Jozef Stumpel and right wing Bill Guerin. Ftorek dropped Rob Zamuner down to a line with Andrei Nazarov and Scott Pellerin. In 22 games, Girard and Huml have racked up 17 points apiece with the Baby B's. Huml is tops on the team in goals with 10. If Sweeney can go, Girard could take the place of another blue liner, perhaps Jamie Rivers, in an effort to put some more production into the power play. ''He has played very well down there, and if you play well down there, you should get a chance,'' said O'Connell. ''For Huml, this is only his second year as a pro. He is still very young. But he has an offensive flair.'' ... Forward P.J. Stock, who is recovering from a high ankle sprain, skated with his teammates for the first time since the injury, though he didn't go through all the drills. Neither forward Mike Knuble(fractured transverse process) nor defenseman Jarno Kultanen(sprained knee) participated in the workout, although Kultanen skated.

the mugs

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Cranston, RI, USA
Horns,

As I said when I first started posting Bruins stuff. I'm more of a Madjack lurker and I can't cap my way out of a wet paper bag. But I do know this. The Bruins have a very difficult time with the newer expansion teams - Wild, Preds, Thrashers. It's like the "play down" to the competition. Prior to Guerin's fluke OT goal at the beginning of the year, the Bruins had lost 4 straight to the Thrashers. They have lost every game to the Wild since they came into existance.

Having said that, I don't think I'd take a side on this one but my GUESS is would be to take the over as the recent games have shown to be high scoring. I hope this helps. Maybe we could go thru Madjack to exchange e-mail addresses. I'd like to learn more and contribute to the "sin bin" as much as possible.

I got some recent numbers from another website so I hope this answers your question.

10/6/2001 Bos. 4 Atl. 3 0,-250/5.5 Bos./O
3/10/2001 Bos. 5 Atl. 7 0,-280/6 Atl./O
2/9/2001 Atl. 5 Bos. 1 0,200/5.5 Atl./O
12/4/2000 Atl. 5 Bos. 4 0,-110/5.5 Atl./O
11/4/2000 Bos. 3 Atl. 8 0,-280/6 Atl./O
1/19/2000 Atl. 3 Bos. 4 0,160/5.5 Bos./O
1/17/2000 Bos. 3 Atl. 3 0,-300/5.5 P/O
12/17/1999 Atl. 1 Bos. 3 0,220/5.5 Bos./U
11/6/1999 Bos. 4 Atl. 2 -1.5,-105/5 Bos./O

Good luck.

Jim

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
mugs,

This is incredible info on the Bruins for the totals. They have met nine times lifetime in this series and to see that eight of them have gone over, well.....the over looks better and better. I wonder if it is that the Bruins don't play Dafoe as much against expansion teams. Most top teams play their back up against weaker teams like the expansion clubs to give there backups some time in the net. You info is extremely helpful and all of us enjoy info from people who live NHL cities that might hear and see more. All of this adds up to helping everyone make some solid plays. You can definitely go thru MadJack to get my e-mail address and I would gladly chat with you about different topics on capping.
Great work Jim!

HORNS

the mugs

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Cranston, RI, USA
I haven't heard the starting goalies yet. If & when I do, I will post it.

More B's stuff...

Tonight's Game
The Bruins visit the Thrashers tonight in the second of four games between these teams this season and the first of two games of this season's series at Philips Arena. The Bruins are 13-7-3-3 overall this season with a 3-5-3-1 record on the road. The Thrashers are 6-15-2-2 overall this season with a 3-5-2-0 record on home ice. The Bruins are 3-0-0-0 vs. Southeast Division opponents thus far this season and are 9-3-0-3 overall vs. Eastern Conference foes. The Thrashers are 3-4-0-1 vs. Northeast Division opponents thus far this season and are 6-11-1-2 overall vs. Eastern Conference foes.

Lifetime Series
The Bruins are 4-4-1-0 lifetime vs. the Thrashers with Atlanta holding a 37-31 scoring advantage in those nine games. On the road, the Bruins are 2-2-0-0 lifetime vs. Atlanta with the Thrashers holding a 14-12 scoring edge in those four games. The Bruins won the first game of this season's series vs. Atlanta with a 4-3 overtime win in Boston on Oct. 6. The Bruins have lost their last two games in Atlanta with their last road win over the Thrashers a 4-3 victory on Jan. 19, 2000.

Recent Bruins Games
The Bruins have taken points out of each of their last three games at 2-0-0-1 with a 6-3 win over Tampa Bay on Nov. 27, 3-2 overtime win in Philadelphia on Nov. 29 and a 2-1 overtime loss in Ottawa on Dec. 1. They are 6-2-0-1 in their last nine games, are 8-4-0-1 in their last 13 games and have taken points out of 16 of their last 21 games with a 10-5-3-3 record in that span.

Recent Thrashers Games
The Thrashers finished their recent four-game road trip with a 2-2-0-0 record with a 6-3 win in Ottawa on Nov. 24, 5-1 loss in Montreal on Nov. 27, 5-2 loss in Tampa Bay on Nov. 29 and 5-2 victory in Florida onDec. 1.

Upcoming Bruins Games
The Bruins conclude their current three-game road trip in Atlanta tonight. They next return home to host Pittsburgh on Dec. 6 (7:30 p.m.; NESN & WBZ Radio) and Buffalo on Dec. 8 (7:00 p.m.; UPN38 & WBZ Radio).

Upcoming Thrashers Games
The Thrashers will host Washington on Dec. 6 and will then face the Penguins in Pittsburgh on Dec. 8.

Bruins Injuries
Mike Knuble: Non-displaced fracture of transverse process suffered Nov. 20 in Montreal; out indefinitely.
Jarno Kultanen: Knee injury suffered Nov. 6 vs. Edmonton; out indefinitely.
P. J. Stock: High ankle sprain suffered Nov. 8 vs. Minnesota; out indefinitely.
Total Man-Games Lost: 63

Bruins Recent Transactions
Dec. 3: Recalled Jonathan Girard and Ivan Huml from Providence/AHL.

Thrashers Injuries
Frantisek Kaberle: Right shoulder strain; one week.
Jiri Slegr: Back injury; out indefinitely.
Andreas Karlsson: Hip flexor strain; out indefinitely.
Jeff Odgers: Broken leg; out indefinitely.

Bet on MyBookie