Local Boston Bruins

the mugs

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Cranston, RI, USA
Todays tidbits...

WILMINGTON - The ebb and flow of the Bruins' roster yesterday carried both Sergei Samsonov and Hal Gill into troubled waters, injuries from the night before prohibiting either from skating in the off-day workout.

Gill, sometimes logging 30 minutes a game along the blue line of late, injured a shoulder (unspecified) and did not play in the third period of Tuesday's 3-2 win in Atlanta.

Samsonov, the club's top scorer (10-19-29), made it through the game with the Thrashers, but ''tweaked'' something, according to coach Robbie Ftorek. Affix the tweak where you will. Word around the dressing room was Samsonov, a sure-shot for the Russian Olympic squad, hurt a knee (unspecified) in the late stages of Tuesday's victory.

According to Ftorek, Gill ''probably won't'' play tonight when the Bruins take on the Penguins at the FleetCenter. As for Samsonov, the tight-lipped coach said, ''We're not so sure'' about his availability.

Late yesterday, the Bruins' front office said Gill had been diagnosed with tendinitis of the shoulder biceps and is day-to-day. Samsonov, according to the club, has a slight leg injury, and his status will be evaluated today.

Options? Look for Jonathan Girard, called up for a look in Atlanta, to remain in the lineup, and for Jamie Rivers likely to flip into Gill's spot. Defenseman Jarno Kultanen is nearly ready to return from a knee injury, but it's more likely he won't play until next week.

If Samsonov is out, Ftorek could plug extra forward John Emmons, scratched in Atlanta, back into the equation. Or it's possible the Bruins will call back Ivan Huml, returned to Providence after a one-game look-see Tuesday. P.J. Stock(high ankle sprain) is close to coming back, but he might not get a look until the weekend.

''I thought Jonathan did a good job,'' said Ftorek, appraising Girard's first game this season. ''He got in trouble one time, trying to do too much, but we all do that.''

=====

Net gains for Guerin

Bill Guerin's pair of third-period goals, only 18 seconds apart, made up a little for the couple of dozen posts he has rung this season. He has at least one goal in each of the last four games, and totals of 5-1-6.

''I've been a little more selective in my shooting lately,'' said Guerin, who remained atop the league yesterday with 138 shots. ''I'm not out there just shooting to shoot. I'm not trying to press the puck to the net, make something happen if there is nothing there. I've got that little bit of confidence now to handle the puck and maybe look for someone else.''

Guerin's contract runs out at the end of the season, at which time he will be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his NHL career. The sides have yet to talk about an extension.

''This year is a little different than any before,'' he said. ''Before, when I was a restricted free agent, I knew I wasn't going anywhere. My choices were sign, go to arbitration, or hold out. But this time, who knows what is going to happen?''

The fact that no talks have taken place? Not to worry, said Guerin.

''It's still early,'' he said. ''I'm sure they have things they want to think about, and decisions they have to make.''

The biggest decision: Do they want to pay Guerin upward of, say, $32 million for the four seasons beginning 2002-03?

=====

Taking one from team

Stock and Kultanen, each looking fit enough to return from their injuries, skated through the dreaded gauntlet at the end of practice. All the Bruins, including goalies, dropped sticks and lined up along the boards for the drill. Stock and Kultanen then had to skate through the line of 20-something teammates, fighting through bodychecks and facewashes, and then turning around for a return trip.

''That's one reason not to get hurt,'' said Kyle McLaren, who faced similar fire when he came back from a chest injury a couple of weeks ago. ''Quite a trip, and you have to buy a round-trip ticket - not one of the safest trips, either.''

=====

Severe power outage

The Bruins' woeful 1-for-43 (2.3 percent) stretch on the power play across the last 13 games had them ranked 20th in the league as of yesterday morning. ''Obviously, you'd like to have more goals from it,'' said a patient Ftorek. ''You want to be better. You want to produce. But getting mad about it isn't going to get you those goals. When we get it goin', we'll get a pot-full of 'em.''

=====

Without back-to-back games now until Wednesday-Thursday of next week, it could be a while before John Grahame bumps Byron Dafoe out of the net for a one-game respite. Grahame's last outing was his 3-2 win over the Canucks Nov. 23. ''No question he's going to get in,'' said Ftorek. Just don't ask the date ... Don't look for Mario Lemieux in the Pittsburgh lineup. Still hindered by a hip injury, Mario Magnifique could be sidelined through the holidays. A protracted absence in January could put his spot on the Canadian Olympic squad in jeopardy ... One-third of the way through the NHL schedule, the Bruins hold a 939-634 shot advantage ... A bunch of the Bruins will be on hand tomorrow, approximately 2 p.m., at the Toys ''R'' Us in Woburn for a charity shopping spree. The players have donated their own money, with the sum matched by the club, and they'll be loading up carts with gifts for children at local homeless shelters and hospitals.

the mugs

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2000
Cranston, RI, USA
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS at
BOSTON BRUINS
Thursday, December 6, 2001
FleetCenter; Boston, Massachusetts
7:30 pm (ET) - Gametime
7:00 pm (ET) - Bruins' Digest
NESN
Tonight's Game
The Bruins host the Penguins tonight in the first of four games between these teams this season and the first of two games of this season's series at FleetCenter. The Bruins are 14-7-3-3 overall this season with a 10-2-0-2 record on home ice. The Penguins are 11-11-3-2 overall this season with a 4-7-1-2 record on the road. The Bruins are 3-0-0-2 vs. Atlantic Division opponents thus far this season and are 10-3-0-3 overall vs. Eastern Conference foes. The Penguins are 5-2-0-0 vs. Northeast Division opponents thus far this season and are 10-5-3-1 overall vs. Eastern Conference foes.

Lifetime Series
The Bruins are 81-44-21-0 lifetime vs. the Penguins with a 589-464 scoring advantage in those 146 games. On home ice, the Bruins are 53-13-6-0 lifetime vs. Pittsburgh with a 325-204 scoring edge in those 72 games. The Bruins are unbeaten in their last seven games vs. Pittsburgh overall at 5-0-2-0 with their last loss to the Penguins a 4-2 loss in Pittsburgh on Dec. 14, 1999. That is their longest current unbeaten streak vs. any opponent. The Bruins have won the last seven games between these teams in Boston with their last home loss to the Penguins a 4-2 setback on Jan. 29, 1998.

Recent Bruins Games
The Bruins have taken points out of each of their last four games at 3-0-0-1 with a 6-3 win over Tampa Bay on Nov. 27, 3-2 overtime win in Philadelphia on Nov. 29, a 2-1 overtime loss in Ottawa on Dec. 1 and a 3-2 win in Atlanta on Dec. 4. They are 7-2-0-1 in their last ten games, are 9-4-0-1 in their last 14 games and have taken points out of 17 of their last 22 games with an 11-5-3-3 record in that span.

The Bruins have won their last five home games, their longest such streak this season and longest since a six-game home win streak from Oct. 28-Nov. 18, 1999.

Recent Penguins Games
The Penguins are 1-2-0-0 thus far on their current four-game road trip with a 5-0 loss in San Jose on Nov. 29, 5-2 loss in Phoenix on Dec. 1 and 1-0 win in Toronto on Dec. 4. They are 3-2-0-0 in their last five games overall with their last win a 6-0 victory over New Jersey on Nov. 27. The victory in Toronto on Dec. 4 snapped a three-game road losing streak for Pittsburgh with their previous road victory a 5-1 win in New Jersey on Nov. 13.

Upcoming Bruins Games
The Bruins will host the Buffalo Sabres on Dec. 8 (7:00 p.m.; UPN38 & WBZ Radio) and will then face a two-game road trip, playing in Pittsburgh on Dec. 12 (7:30 p.m.; NESN & WBZ Radio) and in Washington on Dec. 13 (7:30 p.m.; NESN & WBZ Radio).

Upcoming Penguins Games
The Penguins conclude their current four-game road trip tonight. They will return home to host Atlanta on Dec. 8 and will then face the Capitals in Washington on Dec. 11.

Bruins Injuries
Hal Gill: Tendonitis in shoulder/bicep area; day-to-day.
Mike Knuble: Non-displaced fracture of transverse process suffered Nov. 20 in Montreal; out indefinitely.
Jarno Kultanen: Knee injury suffered Nov. 6 vs. Edmonton; out indefinitely.
P. J. Stock: High ankle sprain suffered Nov. 8 vs. Minnesota; day-to-day.
Total Man-Games Lost: 66

Bruins Recent Transactions
Dec. 3: Recalled Jonathan Girard and Ivan Huml from Providence/AHL.
Dec. 4: Returned Ivan Huml to Providence/AHL.

Penguins Injuries
Mario Lemieux: Hip injury; out indefinitely.
Martin Straka: Broken leg; out indefinitely.

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
good work mugs, here is some pitt info........

Penguins: Are 0-7 in Boston since winning, 4-2, Jan. 29, 1998, and have not scored more than two goals in any of those losses. Probable goaltenders: Johan Hedberg for Penguins, Byron Dafoe for Bruins. The Penguins practiced for an hour at Flynn Memorial Rink in Medford, Mass., an arena usually used by high school teams. They were forced out of the FleetCenter because of an NBA game last night. All players who made the trip participated, although RW Aleksey Morozov left early because of continuing muscle pain in his lower back and is considered questionable for tonight. Morozov first felt the pain Monday in Toronto but logged 17:20 of playing time in the 1-0 victory against the Maple Leafs the next night and was on the ice in the final minute to protect the lead. "Right now, it's just hard to push off with my left leg," Morozov said. "But we'll see. I hope it will be all right for the game."
Coach Rick Kehoe said he would prefer to use the same lineup tonight as he did Tuesday, although he might insert RW Billy Tibbetts into Morozov's place if Morozov can't play. Penguins forward Robert Lang has no goals in 21 games against his former club.

Bet on MyBookie