Logic problem help :(

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hogman14

HBD Sports!
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
Franklin, MA
:shrug: This logic problem is giving me fits :(

Amanda hosted a party at her house. Jessica, a guest at the party asked Amanda to tell her about her family. Amanda said, ?I have 3 daughters and I will tell you how old they are. The product of their age is 72. The sum of their age is my house number. How old is each??Jessica rushed to the door looked at the house number and told Amanda that she needed more information. Amanda then added that the oldest girl likes strawberry jello. Then Jessica announced the ages of the three girls.

:mad:

77sticks

Forum Member
Dec 8, 2005
I see no question mark. So ill quote Seinfeld for my answer..

POTATO SALAD.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

77sticks

Forum Member
Dec 8, 2005

Amanda hosted a party at her house. Jessica, a guest at the party asked Amanda to tell her about her family. Amanda said, ?I have 3 daughters and I will tell you how old they are. The product of their age is 72. The sum of their age is my house number. How old is each??Jessica rushed to the door looked at the house number and told Amanda that she needed more information. Amanda then added that the oldest girl likes strawberry jello. Then Jessica announced the ages of the three girls.

1128475643_15889817e3.jpg

Jamaica1997

Smack Smack!!!
Forum Member
Jul 29, 2001
Oklahoma City, OK

The full answer is as follows:

You first must factor 72 which breaks down into 1x2x2x2x3x3. Combining these numbers to make 3 ages reveals 11 combinations: (1 2 36), (1 3 24), (1 4 18), (1 6 12), (1 8 9), (2 2 18), (2 3 12), (2 4 9), (2 6 6), (3 3 8), and (3 4 6).

Amanda says that their sum is equal to the house number of her. If Jessica (who should know the house number after looking) has to ask for more information then some of the combinations must add up to the same number. By adding up all of the combinations, we find that (2 6 6) and (3 3 8) both add up to 14 so the house number must be 14 and one of the combinations must be correct.

Then Amanda says that the oldest likes strawberry jello which tells you that there is an oldest. Since (2 6 6) implies that two of his children have the same age, the answer must be (3 3 8).

So Amanda's oldest child is 8. the other two are 3 and 3

There you go

Leland

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

KotysDad

Forum Member
Feb 6, 2001

Oldest = 8
Twin 3 year olds

Edit: Jamaica has good write up. See his answer instead lol

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Two MIT math graduates bump into each other. They hadn?t seen each other in over 20 years.
The first grad says to the second: ?how have you been??
Second: ?Great! I got married and I have three daughters now?
First: ?Really? how old are they??
Second: ?Well, the product of their ages is 72, and the sum of their ages is the same as the number on that building over there..?
First: ?Right, ok.. oh wait.. hmmmm.., I still don?t know?
second: ?Oh sorry, the oldest one just started to play the piano?
First: ?Wonderful! my oldest is the same age!?

Problem: How old are the daughters?

CANADA MAN

PUCK YOU
Forum Member
Apr 1, 2006
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Since 72 is not a perfect cube, the three numbers can't be equal. Therefore, if there's more than one maximum the triple has to be of the form (A,B,B) with A<B. The product of both maximums is a square, so just try the squares divisors of 72, namely 36, 9 and 4. The only one that satisfies that form is 36, which gives us (2,6,6).

Now, there has to be exactly one solution with only one maximum that adds up to 14. Since the maximum value has to be greater than the cube root of 72 (which is ~4,16), and less than 12, the only options are 6, 8 and 9.
If it were 6, the product of the other two should be 12, and add up to 8, which is impossible 'cause both of them would have to be even or odd.
It can't be 9 for similar reasons.
If it were 8, then their product should be 9 and their sum, 6, which leads to the solution: (3,3,8).

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

KotysDad

Forum Member
Feb 6, 2001
Two MIT math graduates bump into each other. They hadn?t seen each other in over 20 years.
The first grad says to the second: ?how have you been??
Second: ?Great! I got married and I have three daughters now?
First: ?Really? how old are they??
Second: ?Well, the product of their ages is 72, and the sum of their ages is the same as the number on that building over there..?
First: ?Right, ok.. oh wait.. hmmmm.., I still don?t know?
second: ?Oh sorry, the oldest one just started to play the piano?
First: ?Wonderful! my oldest is the same age!?

Problem: How old are the daughters?

Jack's problem is much harder to solve in that there is the inherent problem of how the fuck could MIT math graduates find someone to copulate with.

Me thinks its a trick question. kurby