Los Angeles Saints

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
It appears that the New Orleans Saints will quite possibly be out of their lease in less than a month. I am sure that the Los Angeles concerns have been active in getting the Saints to move.

Tuesday, May 18

Inactive commission on Saints stadium replaced
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press sports wires<
NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ The New Orleans Saints' demand for a new stadium during negotiations with the state two years ago sparked a frenzy of negotiations and the appointment of a blue ribbon commission.

It apparently did little else, and on Tuesday the governor dissolved the commission and shifted its responsibilites to the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District which operates the dome.

The NFL Stadium Advisory Commission, set up by then-Gov. Mike Foster to study whether the Saints should get a new stadium or if the Superdome could be renovated to satisfy them, never got into the issue, members said.

``The commission has not met in a year,'' said Pres Kabacoff. ``If they have, they haven't notified me.''

The 55-member commission was scheduled to issue its final report next month. On Tuesday, Tim Coulon, head of the LSED, sent a letter to Gov. Kathleen Blanco noting that the requirement to evaluate the concept of a new stadium or a renovated Superdome was included in the deal the state worked out with the Saints.

Without mentioning the commission's failure to complete the study, Coulon said the LSED has assumed a larger leadership role in the study and in issuing the report. Coulon's letter said the board had authorized a separate stadium and market analysis by sports consultant Barrett Sports Group. He expects the report to be ready by June 1.

The commission had done little work on either the feasibility of renovating the Superdome or building a new stadium. Kabacoff said he was supposed to head a committee to look into renovating the Superdome, but the committee never did anything.

``I think that what's happened is they just abandoned the idea of renovating the Superdome or building a new stadium,'' Kabacoff said. ``I think a lot occurred after the committee was appointed and it's just been dormant.''

The other function of the commission, to study the feasibility of building a stadium, was hamstrung by a lack of money, said commission member Warren Reuther.

``Our committee submitted a budget for us to go and tour different facilities and see what's new, what's being done, what's state of the art, but Governor Foster did not fund it,'' Reuther said. ``We haven't met in some time, and very frankly there is no doubt that at this time the state does not have the money to build a new stadium. There's no use kidding ourselves. The Saints will play in the Superdome for a long time.''

Saints vice president of administration Arnold Fielkow said he was not surprised that the commission was defunct. He refused to comment on where that left the team and its pursuit of a new stadium, however.

``I don't want to talk about it now,'' Fielkow said.
The Chargers are now locked into San Diego until at least the 2008 season. LA officials and the NFL want a team in Los Angeles for the marketability as soon as possible.
The Saints hold all the cards. They have a contract to collect 12 million from New Orleans this July 7 and the city can't afford it.

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Friday, May 14

House speaker: Louisiana shouldn't default on Saints payment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press statement from Blanco. DELETES outdated material. Moving state news and sports lines.<
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) _ News that the state was $10 million short on its payment to the New Orleans Saints was a blow to lawmakers trying to choose where to cut the budget, but House Speaker Joe Salter said Friday the state shouldn't default on the payment.

``That's not really an option,'' he said.

Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc, the governor's chief money adviser, said he doubts the Legislature would agree to use general operating cash _ known as general fund dollars _ to fill the hole, however.

And Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she wouldn't support using the general fund, suggesting a possible renegotiation of the payment.

``Although discussing options is premature, I can tell you about my guiding principle: I will not support using any general fund revenue to meet our obligations with the Saints. We have many critical unmet obligations in our budget,'' the governor said in a statement released Friday.

A $186 million deal was made in 2001 to keep the Saints in Louisiana through 2010, but many lawmakers complained that the state had more pressing money needs. Then-Gov. Mike Foster touted the NFL team's economic impact on the state.

The Legislature approved parts of the deal, though it was pitched to lawmakers as involving very little state cash and mainly locally generated dollars. Those local dollars are what's causing the shortfall.

The state needs $10 million more to cover its $15 million payment due July 1 because of a drop in tourism that lowered the New Orleans-area hotel/motel tax revenue that was supposed to cover the annual payment to the Saints.

Also, the Superdome naming rights, projected to bring in $3 million a year, have not been sold.

Last year, the payment was short, and the private company that operates the Superdome for the state put up $2 million to fill in the gap, but that's not a likely option this time around, leaving Blanco and the Legislature to come up with a plan.

They got some welcome news Friday that the state has extra money to spend over the current and upcoming fiscal years, but that money isn't even expected to cover all the holes in the state's budget.

And with state agencies bracing for cuts, LeBlanc said he wasn't expecting lawmakers to be interested in using state operating cash to pay the Saints and then go home to explain about reductions in health care services and other programs.

``We've had members of the Legislature express that it is going to be very difficult to move general fund to the Saints issue,'' LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc said the administration wanted to look at what could be done regionally to generate the dollars from the New Orleans ``tax base,'' but he declined to elaborate.

Blanco said she planned to meet with Saints owner Tom Benson to discuss the matter, though no meeting date was given.

``I am counting on Mr. Benson for cooperation and flexibility as we work our way through this situation. Just as the Saints came to the state to renegotiate several years ago, I hope the Saints will grant us the same courtesy,'' she said.

Salter said defaulting on the payment could harm the state's image and the deal to keep the Saints in Louisiana. He said the state could try to renegotiate, but he acknowledged the problem may need cash from the general fund.

``That'll probably be a last resort, but we may come to it,'' he said.

And the payments due the Saints only increase over time _ rising to $20 million in 2006 and $23.5 million in 2008.

``It doesn't get any better,'' Salter said.

Last edited:

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Wednesday, May 19

Saints officials will meet with governor Friday
Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ The New Orleans Saints will meet with Gov. Kathleen Blanco on Friday to discuss a study that recommends renegotiating the team's contract and lowering the state's obligations.

The location of the meeting has not been decided, a spokeswoman for the governor's office said Wednesday.

Faced with a shortfall of almost $12 million of the $15 million due the Saints by July 5, the commission that oversees the Superdome sent the study to both the governor and the team on Tuesday. The study said the deal worked out between former Gov. Mike Foster's administration and the Saints, which gave the Saints $186 million to keep them in Louisiana, was not equitable.

Barrett Sports Group, which did the study, recommended renegotiating the contract with the Saints so that the team shares more of the risks and costs. It also recommends a $150 million renovation of the Superdome rather than spending $450 million for a new stadium with the Saints assuming a portion of the costs, and lengthening the contract.

The effort to re-negotiate the deal may kick off another contentious round of dealing between the Saints and the state. The 2001 negotiations were frequently antagonistic.

Commission chairman Tim Coulon said he was optimistic over this round of meetings.

``I think it could benefit both sides,'' Coulon said.

The first thing that will come from the Saints will be "no new stadium, no deals"

The Saints could be playing in LA this season.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
if the saints move to los angelas, al davis will have to increase the dosage of his medication.

i'm pretty sure that he thinks that he still owns the rights to L.A.

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Tuesday, May 25

Foster says Louisiana should stand by the Saints
Associated Press
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) _ Former Gov. Mike Foster strongly defended the incentive package he negotiated in 2001 to keep the New Orleans Saints in Louisiana and urged the current administration to make up a predicted shortfall in the $15 million commitment due to the team in July.

Estimates of the shortfall, originally predicted to be $12 million, have been downgraded to about $7 million.

Foster said Monday that the Saints will provide an economic benefit to taxpayers across the state, even if the Legislature has to dip into the general fund to cover the shortfall.

``Even with the present situation, the Saints put money in the general fund by virtue of the fact they're here,'' Foster said. ``People in Minden and Shreveport are making money because they're here.''

He cited a study by University of New Orleans economist Tim Ryan showing that the Saints' presence generates money for the state because, among other things, it enables New Orleans to compete for large events such as the Super Bowl.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco has ruled out using general fund dollars to meet the state's obligation and has said she would prefer to renegotiate the 10-year, $186 million incentive package that the Foster administration signed three years ago.

She discussed the subject privately with Saints owner Tom Benson Friday; both agreed to keep talking.

If the state does not come up with the money by July 5, it could be placed in default. If the default is not addressed within 75 days, the team would be free to move without repaying any of the money it has already received from the state.

///

Last edited:

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Thursday, June 3

Governor ``optimistic'' about paying Saints in full
Associated Press
METAIRIE, La. (AP) _ Gov. Kathleen Blanco stopped short of guaranteeing the state would pay all of the $15 million it owes the New Orleans Saints by a July 5 deadline.

But she stressed Thursday she is researching a wide range of state revenue sources to try to make the full payment, and Saints owner Tom Benson expects her to succeed.

``I reiterated to the governor the many financial commitments which I and the organization have made and the fact that the current contract must be honored,'' Benson said in a statement. ``I reminded the governor that the current agreement was a result of substantial negotiations and was transparent and public.''

For now, Louisiana is short $7 million of the $15 million annual payment to the Saints _ part of the $186 million incentive package negotiated by the administration of former Gov. Mike Foster.

Citing that she inherited a ``very difficult situation'' upon taking office, Blanco has been trying to persuade Benson to give the state more flexibility.

Blanco and Benson said they would continue to meet, although they didn't specify when. The main purpose behind the meetings is to find a long-term solution.

``I want to find the money, and I don't want Tom and I to have to meet year after year and go through the agony of me giving the bad news or anything like that,'' Blanco said. ``We're going to try to look at something stable.''
``I reiterated to the governor the many financial commitments which I and the organization have made and the fact that the current contract must be honored,'' Benson said in a statement. ``I reminded the governor that the current agreement was a result of substantial negotiations and was transparent and public.''
This says it all!!!!!!!
the Saints have the contract and its either payment in full or a totally new stadium and some payment.
Expect the Saints to be out of New Orleans in 2 years.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
al davis will move the team again if he is alive and able.

ps. personally, i will hate to see the saints move. love to go to no. to watch nfl. nice dome and great city :)

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Tuesday, June 22

State, team still face problems despite new payment plan
Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ The state scrambled to make a $15 million payment due the New Orleans Saints, and fulfilled the immediate terms of the team's deal. But pressing questions and looming problems remain.

``This is just a quick fix,'' said Tim Coulon, head of the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District which oversees the operation of the Superdome. ``We have a permanent problem. These payments are going to keep coming and as it stands now and we don't have the funding to meet them.''

To make the payment, legislators, fiscal analysts and the governor's administration agreed to borrow from a Louisiana economic development fund and repay it over eight years with money generated in the New Orleans area.

The Saints' deal, worked out under former Gov. Mike Foster, was to be funded mainly with money generated from the New Orleans-area hotel and motel tax. A downturn in tourism following the Sept. 11, terrorists attacks left that fund short this year.

The state is obligated to another $15 million payment next summer. The payments then jump to $20 million for two years and then to $23.5 million for the final three years of the contract.

``There is no way the hotel-motel tax will cover that,'' Coulon said. ``Now the hard work begins _ how do you fund the rest of the payments.''

The LSED had a study done earlier this year that recommended the deal be re-negotiated so the team shared more of the risk. The Saints refused to discuss any options before getting its payment. Coulon was not sure that discussions now would lead to any changes.

``They've indicated a willingness to talk,'' Coulon said. ``I don't know if they have indicated a willingness to re-negotiate their contract.''
Build the Saints a new stadium if you want them to re-negotiate, which wont happen.

Last edited:

ceciol

Forum Member
Oct 18, 2003
Why do they bother? LA has proven they cannot support a team.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
//

Its not whether LA can support a team. They will get as many people in the stands as New Orleans, probably more.
But to the NFL that does not matter. They are EXTREMELY motivated to have the many millions of people in the LA area identify with a team called the Los Angeles ____. That brings in

ADVERTIZING MONEY

which in turn brings in

ADVERTIZERS

which makes all the Networks

BID MORE MONEY TO CARRY THE NFL GAMES.

Its not just LA people. Say there is a Monday Night Football Game and New York or Chicago is one of the teams. Many more people would rather tune in to watch them play the Los Angeles ____ and probably wouldn't even turn on the game if they played the New Orleans Saints.

Its nationwide advertizing and money to the NFL.

ceciol

Forum Member
Oct 18, 2003
4bubba said:
//

Say there is a Monday Night Football Game and New York or Chicago is one of the teams. Many more people would rather tune in to watch them play the Los Angeles ____ and probably wouldn't even turn on the game if they played the New Orleans Saints.

Why would I rather tune in to watch LA than New Orleans? There is likely some truth to your point, but if the team isn't supported, why would it make a difference?

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
You are thinking as a real football fan.

The NFL is not concerned about football fans like you and me that know what is going on, like people who go to forums like this.

They want the millions of people that dont watch regularly and dont know the standings or what happened last week.

They want the people who are just as happy to watch the commercials as the game.

They want the people that wouldn't watch any team from any sport from New Orleans (which is a tremendous number globally)

They want the RATINGS from the entire country which determine how many TV sets are tuned in at that particular moment, which determines how much the networks charge advertizers.

The NFL knows you and I will watch no matter where a team is from. That is not true with the vast majority of Americans.

But now the NFL is thinking globally. Multiply what was said above by 100. Other countries of the world have seen and heard of the Lakers, Dodgers, and Kings. They also know of Hollywood and California. To them, any team from Los Angeles has recognition.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ceciol

Forum Member
Oct 18, 2003
I can see your argument, I guess. But I'm not sure I get why someone (who is not like us) would be more interested in watching a game, just because of the name of the team. I don't follow the AFL, and I'm just as likely to watch casually (when flipping the channels) team A vs. team B.

Maybe globally someone may think "Oh, LA is playing, let's watch", because they know the city, but I hope they are not using global audience as an excuse to have a team in LA.

I guess because I am a fan that will watch any game, the concept of watching a game because of the team name is foreign to me.

(I'm not bucking your argument, in fact I'm impressed with the details... I'm just slow on the draw, I think. ;) )

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
hopefully we will have real football to discuss soon.

It is definitely global having games in Europe and preseason games in Japan and Mexico. China should be next.

if its hard to understand, the NFL is run by accountants and lawyers, not sports fans.

ceciol

Forum Member
Oct 18, 2003
Yeah, the exhibitions have been a major push by Tagliabue. And I imagine it can only help the league. I just hope it doesn't league to expansion any time soon. 32 teams is enough. Dilution is the cardinal sin of all sports leagues.

Can't wait for the real thing to get started!

ceciol

Forum Member
Oct 18, 2003
4bubba said:
//

Now is the real test. 30 days of almost no stories or info. The "Black Hole" of the NFL.

You got that right. The most difficult month of the year to get through ;)

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Associated Press

BATON ROUGE, La. -- New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson has told his staff to resume talks with the state over a way of keeping the team from moving.

A letter from Benson to Gov. Kathleen Blanco did not make any suggestions for a "permanent solution." Benson also did not back away from his demand that the state honor its current 10-year, $186 million commitment to the National Football League team.

"My representatives have been authorized to meet with your designated officials to insure that our current contract will continue to be honored and to work on a permanent solution to keep the Saints in New Orleans," Benson said in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Times-Picayune of New Orleans.

Blanco is on vacation this week. Her spokesman, Roderick Hawkins, said the administration had not received the letter as of late Monday and could not comment.

After twice meeting with the governor, Benson cut off negotiations with Blanco's office earlier this month while state officials scrambled to fill a $7.1 million shortfall in the state's $15 million obligation to the team.

Hours before the Legislature adjourned on June 21, lawmakers approved a deal that allows the Superdome Commission to borrow the money for the payment from the Department of Economic Development and pay it back within eight years.

Blanco is pushing to renegotiate the contract signed by her predecessor, Gov. Mike Foster. That contract was designed to keep the team in New Orleans through 2010.

Blanco wants to keep the team in the Superdome through 2020. She has suggested the state might agree to a $150 million renovation of the Superdome that would include new luxury suites, concession stands and other revenue-generating features.
As I said before, the Saints are demanding a NEW stadium. Thats the only way they will agree to renegotiate the previous deal.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
//

Superdome manager Doug Thornton has outlined estimates of shortfalls running for the remaining years of the Saints deal, including a nearly $10 million shortfall next year.

The governor and other officials are trying to renegotiate the overall deal with Saints owner Tom Benson, but the state had an immediate payment due last week. If the state defaulted, the Saints could have moved without paying a penalty.

The current deal, which runs through 2010, includes raised payments over time, with the state's required payments rising to $20 million in 2006 and $23.5 million in 2008.

Blanco wants to keep the team in the Superdome through 2020 and suggested the state might agree to a $150 million renovation of the Superdome that would include new luxury suites, concession stands and other revenue-generating features.

However, the state still owes 125.5 million dollars after this year. They want a new stadium, not a refurbished old stadium. They may agree to knock off a few million for a de-done stadium, but the state will want the previous debt paid off. No chance of that happening.
Especially now that San Diego has the Chargers lock into town for at least the next 5 years. The Saints are LAs best option.

4bubba

Forum Member
Jun 10, 2001
Las Vegas, NV
Friday, July 30

Blanco hopes to meet soon with Saints to discuss stadium
Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS (AP) _ Gov. Kathleen Blanco says the New Orleans Saints seem receptive to her idea of building a new football stadium in combination with an expansion to the New Orleans convention center.

During a conference call with reporters Thursday from Boston, where she was attending the Democratic National Convention, Blanco said she hopes to meet with Saints owner Tom Benson soon to discuss the idea and find out how much money the team could put into the project.

No date has been set for a meeting, said Tim Coulon, Superdome Commission chairman and one of Blanco's representatives in talks with the Saints.

Blanco floated the idea of combining the two projects about a week ago. The $400 million convention center expansion has been delayed for months because a legal fight over the low bid for the project.

The governor said she still favors renovating the Superdome for the Saints, and has not committed to the idea of a new stadium. She said a study probably would take several months.

Three years ago, Benson demanded a new stadium, but instead got a $186 million deal from the state for the team to stay in New Orleans while the idea of a new stadium was studied. Blanco proposed renegotiating the deal this year just before the Superdome Commission had to borrow $7.1 million to meet the scheduled payment of $15 million to the Saints this summer.

///

Last edited: