Lots of Blame to Go Around

ferdville

Forum Member
Dec 24, 1999
So Cal
You shoould know I am NO fan of Bush, but all the flack he is getting over this disaster is in some respect misplaced. This is, however, something to be concerned about - his failed policies as far as the joke called "Homeland Security" . Remember when the Dept. of "H.S." was created it was at the time studying what OUR response would be to an attack, and those included places like Boulder Dam ,etc? The Dept. of "H.S." was ONLY successful in hiring ten of thousands of new TAXPAYER PAID employees with more benefits than you and I will ever see. But once again, it is a Government Program. Homeland Security didn't do much to help La.

First, the National Guard should have been alerted before the disaster not TWO days later. It is the JOB of the Governor of the State, NOT the Federal Government to activate the Guard. Second, the Mayor of New Orleans is NOW screaming "Racism" because most of those stranded are African-Americans. But I find it odd that ALL the mayors since 1978 have Been African-American yet collectively they to a person have done NOTHING to improve the plight of the poor. Was that W's fault? What about the City allocating 600 Million Dollars for a NEW FOOTBALL Stadium and NOT to fix the levies? Was that "W's" fault? Was it "W" fault that citizens were firing at rescue helicopters?

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Spot on, sir. Good point about the Nat'l Guard. I think a lot of people are venting frustrations on Bush because:

a) they don't like him to begin with (like me)
b) he's the highest person in charge and has the most power to get something done (supposedly)
c) he was quiet for a few days while anarchy ensued - this does not give people a sense that he kows what the hell he's doing or that he necessarily cares very much (not that it's true necessarily)

I agee about Governo Bianco - it sounds like she dropped the ball the most. At the least the mayor tried initially, and then was on TV screaming for the state or feds or anybody to get into action.

Last edited:

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
ferdville,

great post.

although i agree with you that there is some blame towards the federal gov't......

as i previously posted, the federal gov't. can't just go into a state without being asked.

the bigger blame should go to the governor for not getting the state law enforcement agents..ie..state national guard & the state troopers....& marshall law should have been declared immediately.

Nosigar

53%
Forum Member
Jul 5, 2000
Florida
Homeland Security is looking like a White Elephant. Bureaucracy to the hilt. Similar to a typical Democrat program. Shameful!

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
Rule # 16 - even if you are bashing a program conceived by Republicans, you must find a way to get in a shot at liberals, democrats or best of all, Clinton.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
I'll climb on and give you kudos also for great post Ferd.

a little in addition I think most people are missing--the area was classified disaster area before storm even hit--which to my knowedge is a 1st.--I think what aided to late arrival of guard was actually N.O did not take the eye of the storm when shifting to Mississippi (which you here nothing about) at last moment--and real disaster did not hit N.O. till day later when levee broke--pretty tough job to spread resouces over 2 state area. I imagine there was a lot of moving personel to and fro.

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
This is the first truly CENTRIST post I have read on this board in a while.

Sorry, kosar. You're still the team captain, though! I think you just need to cut some guys from your roster for bogus claims.

I am starting to love the word centrist. The absolute abuse of this word by most on here is entertaining. It reminds me of the mutual funds that get on stocks AFTER they have gone up just to show the minions that pay them money that it is in their portfolio.

ocelot

Forum Member
May 21, 2003
Mount Shasta
Poor George the Powerless.

Powerless to Find WMDs.

Powerless to capture Bin Laden.

Powerless to get FEMA moving as a large city flooded on national TV.

But boy can he talk tough and hunch up those shoulders.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Sounds like N O getting to much attention. Folks in Mississippi wondering where some extra help is for them. Ferd good post.

Nosigar

53%
Forum Member
Jul 5, 2000
Florida
kosar said:
Rule # 16 - even if you are bashing a program conceived by Republicans, you must find a way to get in a shot at liberals, democrats or best of all, Clinton.

Shot? The implication is most truthful. The metaphor lends greater credence to the assumption. :)

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
By they way Ferd 600 million drop in bucket for those dikes. Est and amount asked for in 2001 was 5 billion.

Sun Tzu

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Houston, Texas
The former head of the corps of engineers, who resigned over the budget cuts, says that the funding was irrelevant and the work that would have been done with that money would not have changed what happened. But of course facts arent too important in the devbate it would appear.

Bet on MyBookie