Margarito/Cotto

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
What a mouth watering matchup this is! Two warriors hell bent on destruction. I figured the early money would be on Cotto but I think this is a BAD matchup for him. Margarito is a relentless bastard and will never stop moving forward in this one. Margo has a substantial 4 in ht and 5 in reach advant...crucial advants IMO for this fight. Cotto has the edge in power and boxing ability but I think Margo makes up for that in sheer tenacity. Margo doesn't break down in fights...he gets stronger as they go on. This one is a toss up but I'm leaning towards Margo keeping the pressure on and breaking Cotto late in the fight. I'm not going to jump on the odds right away but I'll be putting some dough on Margarito.

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
Salivating already I see. Early $ came in on Cotto as I am sure you well know. Margarito is relentless, this we know. Also I think he will do well versus a shorter guy. Williams gave him fits. Cintron was just in over his head. Can Margarito pepper Cotto at range and avoid eating straight right hands? He has a granite chin, this Margarito. Cotto has improved tremendously and has developed boxing skills/better footwork. This fight would seem to be a true test of will and toughness. I'd say Cotto is more polished and technically sound at this point. There is a lot to consider in this one. I agree; should be a doozy!

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
I see value in Margarito at +150 or so.

The over might be worth a shot too.

But I havent been very successful in betting against Cotto.

The guy just keeps winning....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
the strange thing about this fight is that margarito,despite his height,likes to fight inside...

there are 2 widlcards here....

1)both are vicious body punchers...cotto may be a little more focused in that area,and he`ll have a bigger target...but,i doubt he`ll hang around inside vs margarito...

2)cotto`s gonna move in and out and be quick,i can almost guarantee it...he`s not gonna get into a punch-out with margarito...a war of attrition...you could make the case that nobody in boxing is more immune to punishment than margarito...can`t think of a purely tougher guy...

what worries me with margarito is how effective 5`8" joshua clottey was with his quicks getting in and out on margarito until his hands gave out....his jab was very effective and we`ve seen that cotto`s jab is excellent..

clottey`s quickness gave margarito fits early...

figure cotto,who looked amazingly quick vs gomez,doing much more early damage than clottey....and i don`t recall hearing about any cotto hand issues...

it`s gonna be cotto`s quicks vs margarito`s pressure and will...should be interesting seeing how much margarito`s willing to absorb to get his pound of flesh...and if margarito can eventually find cotto,how much cotto can take...

imo,if you like cotto,grab him now...if you like margarito,i`d wait a bit...i believe the odds will grow a tad before it`s over...cotto`s reputation as being the next great fighter should move these odds in his favor,.....

frank s.

Forum Member
Dec 11, 2004
Based on what you hypothesized weasel, I'd say we play Cotto ahead in the early rounds with those points prop deals they got goin on. I do like your analysis at any rate. Margarito doesn't give a rats ass who is in front of him or how many times he has been hit. He just thinks about offense. I'd say no one is more focused than Cotto. A wrecking ball, laser guided. I don't believe Cotto will break-200. I think -170 may be the top #. But I understand the peception of who is the decided chalk here. Well, we still have 3 months worth of fights before this one.

tonymontana

Forum Member
Sep 27, 2005
cotto all the way here.
I would start thinking about Mag at plus 200 and probably even then take Cotto.
I believe Cotto will look great in this fight.
I was big on Calzaghe but since everybody left ship i hedged a bit with Calzaghe knocked down and out and either fighter knocked down.
Its about time i catch a break.
Now i have several parlays with these and Cotto and Penn. I like Cotto more than Penn.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Anyone see in Margaritos last fight when he floored Cintron and was waving from his corner for Cintron to get back up so he could beat the shit out of him a little more?:mj07: Freaking guy his half nuts.:mj07:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
cotto all the way here.
I would start thinking about Mag at plus 200 and probably even then take Cotto.
I believe Cotto will look great in this fight.
I was big on Calzaghe but since everybody left ship i hedged a bit with Calzaghe knocked down and out and either fighter knocked down.
Its about time i catch a break.
Now i have several parlays with these and Cotto and Penn. I like Cotto more than Penn.

brother....i`m a little worried about penn....the guy`s stamina in a 5 round fight is a big ?.......if he doesn`t submit sherk(and i don`t believe he`s been submitted..stoppped by g+p by gsp)),it could be a long hard road vs a guy that will look to take him down and keep him there...

i sense some potential danger here,my brother...be careful

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hornsfan2

Forum Member
Jun 20, 2002
anybody have a location on this fight? any idea on tickets and when they will go on sale? think this one has fight of the year potential all over it.

thanks

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
My money will be on Margarito and Garden is correct when he say's wait until the last minute to bet him.

I have bet against Cotto numerous times and have always come up short. The closest I came to a win was with Chop Chop. I almost put my boot through the tv when he stood admiring his work while Cotto wobbled.

Cotto is the real deal but I think he is going against someone who WILL NOT be broken. It might be Cotto who gets broken in this fight.

I won't be surprised if Cotto turns boxer in this fight. I am just hoping the latin Machismo comes out in this fight and he decides to brawl.

I think Tony's bet with Penn is safe. Sherk had trouble in Pride from Ryuki Ueyama. He got caught in a few Kimura's from the top position and this guy is not in BJ's league. Sherk is a smaller version of Matt Hughes. Penn was beating the piss out of Uno in round 5 of their second fight. He was also very strong against Gomi in a hard fight.

Good luck all.