Masters - Early Picks

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

efgee

Forum Member
May 20, 2001
Sydney, australia
With Ernie on the verge of his first PGA Tour victory of the year, it is worth backing him now for the Masters before the major firms adjust the prices on Monday morning.

I saw an interview with sports pschycologist Jos Vanstiphout (the man who has taken Goosen to a new level), who has been working with Els over the last few months. He said that he could not believe that a golfer who had achieved as much as Els has, could be so short of confidence. He also said that the work he was doing with Els would soon become evident (didn't take long !!!)

Els tied 6th at Augusta last year and was 2nd in 2000. He will also appreciate the course changes made at Augusta.

What also makes Els look such great value is the form of the opposition.

Woods is still the best golfer on the planet but certainly not the golfer that blew away everyone in 2000.

Duval is really struggling and would need a miracle to find his best form in the next 5 weeks. He has battled personal problems of late and after winning the British Open he seems to have lost the dedication he had while chasing that first Major.

Mickelson after winning first up has been very inconsistent. Not without a chance at Augusta, but it depends which Phil shows up. With all the pressure he puts on himself to crack that elusive first win, Phil is not my idea of the winner.

Garcia after a promising start at the Mercedes has lost his form. Struggling to make the cut rather than contending as been Garcia's predicament of late. With "other" thing on his mind right now, it could be "game, set and match" Els on 14 April.

Vijay means "victory" in Fijian. Someone should give Vijay a dictionary. Singh has not found a win on the PGA Tour since he won the Masters in 2000. I cannot see him winning here.

Els is the man. Woods is a worthy favourite but of the balance, Els is playing much better golf thaan them right now.

Most of the U.S books have 20/1 and so do Sportingbet and a few other UK firms. If Els can keep up his awesome current form, it is not inconceivable that he could finish up in single figures come 11 April.

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
I agree with your strategy... I did Olazabal at 80/1 for the Masters on the last day of his Hong Kong Open win.. then added some 66/1 when he took the lead on the final day of the Buick... as soon as they win they get chopped... should Ernie win by a lot today (as seems likely) the scissors will be out.... in the forum last week I backed him for the matchplay and highlighted his consistency stretching back as far as the British Open... (then didn't back him this week!)... he has to be my number 2 choice at the moment... where is the 20/1??? Sportingbet shows 20/1 until you click it... then it's moved to 16/1.... best I can find is 18/1 at Bet365 & Chandler

Last edited:

steved

Forum Member
Feb 9, 2002
teddington. uk
20/1 with Stanley Racing, but 1/4 1234 so sacrifce place terms for win price...
Agree with you already on Olly as well..66/1with VC..

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Steved,
You're having me on!.... you keep telling me where you've got 20/1.... but every time I get there the cupboard is bare.... you have too much early pace for me.....Stanley now 14/1.... had a nibble at the 18/1 bet365 before that gets pruned as well.
Don't forget an ambitious double.... Ollie Masters & Els British Open??????
I have already done Ollie Masters & Robert Allenby British Open (both 66)

Bet365 & Chandler now snipped to 14/1

Last edited: