Maybe we should give our infrastructure higher priority?

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Levees being topped by Cat 3 storms, important interstate bridges collapsing, utility explosions in our largest city.... Perhaps - rather than bragging about how great we are and attempting to turn other parts of the world into us, we should focus attention on making our own country structurally sound again. We've been resting on the laurels and hard work of previous generations, but nothing lasts forever. I wonder if we even know how to build bridges anymore.:shrug:

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Levees being topped by Cat 3 storms, important interstate bridges collapsing, utility explosions in our largest city.... Perhaps - rather than bragging about how great we are and attempting to turn other parts of the world into us, we should focus attention on making our own country structurally sound again. We've been resting on the laurels and hard work of previous generations, but nothing lasts forever. I wonder if we even know how to build bridges anymore.:shrug:

Trump says its to tuff to get steel for jobs because its all headed over to Iraq. People have been saying this for years smurph but now when you want to do this the Republicans will call it pork so it will never get done but it is not considered pork when it is in Iraq. By the way do you happen to know where all the oil money is going in Iraq? Is it going to the rebuilding over there?

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
You think?? They know return on dollars is near 30% when building bridges and fixing roads. Your tax dollars being turn and turn. Why were so far behind right now is?

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
Maybe it was always this way, but public works projects now all seem to end up as over-budget boondoggles.

Companies seem to bilk money from taxpayers. The blame can be spread pretty widely.. Unions, enviromental consultans, rich capitalists, political bosses...

We need to find a way to build shit in this country without wasting billions of dollars at the same time.

Dunno how though. :shrug:

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Interesting comment I heard this AM by the former Transportation Secretary of MN (or some such position) regarding these projects. At least in MN...some of the higher profile construction companies (ones that could work on a new interstate bridge like will have to be built here now) have moved much of their operations to other areas and states due to the lack of work in this area. Could be issues in many places, I would think.

Inattention and either underfunding or funding spent for other projects like light rail, etc., could bring unforseen issues like that, I guess.

Bet on MyBookie