Misleading Finals/Box Scores CFB

Fast Eddie

Forum Member
Nov 16, 2006
I haven't had much time lately to post these or anything else, I've been moving and then spent a week in Vegas as well. Here are some notes from last week's games. Any others list as well.

September 30 - October 5

Florida Atlantic 13 at Middle Tenn. St 14

Florida Atlantic lost the game on the final play (32 yd pass with 0:00 left). They outgained MTSU, had 5 more 1st downs and lost the turnover battle -3. They seemed to be in total control until late in the 4th quarter.

Boston College 38 at NC St 31

BC dominated the game by the numbers, yet still needed a touchdown with less than a minute left to win the game. They outgained NC St 578-253, had 13 more 1st downs, lost the turnover battle -3, and had the ball over 10 more minutes.

Connecticut 12 at North Carolina 38

Connecticut out gained NC 378-263, had 10 more 1st downs and had over 12 minutes more possession time. NC also had an interception return for a touchdown and a blocked punt return for a touchdown. I guess UCONN had it coming, they had the same type game against Louisville last week to earn a victory. The score will show NC was dominate, the numbers don't however.

Army 44 at Tulane 13

Tulane had 12 more 1st downs, outgained Army 486-334, was -4 in turnovers, and controlled the ball almost 10 minutes more. Army had an interception return for a touchdown, and fumble return for a touchdown as well. Tulane was brutal, but they may have some value this week against UTEP.

Temple 28 at Miami OH 10

The numbers were fairly even in this contest, not exactly a dominant win by Temple. They won the turnover battle +2, but had 9 less 1st downs, were outgained and possessed.

SMU 17 at UCF 31

SMU had more 1st downs, a 376-280 total yds. advantage, and lost the turnover battle -3. Not exactly a two touchdown margin of victory by the numbers for UCF.

Navy 33 at Air Force 27

Air Force outgained Navy 411-244, and had 7 more 1st downs. Navy also blocked 2 punts and returned them both for touchdowns. Air Force had 4 possesions inside the Navy 5yd line in the first half, but could only manage 13 points. Navy was out-played and still managed to win.

Akron 30 at Kent St 27

Kent St had 10 more 1st downs, outgained Akron 413-301 and had the ball for 10 minutes more. Akron was fortunate to win this game in OT by the numbers.

Texas A&M 28 at Oklahoma St 56

The score suggests blowout, but the numbers tell otherwise. Texas A&M had just as many yds 402-401, first downs were even and T.O.P was split. Oklahoma St had 3 return touchdowns.(2 interception returns, and a punt return.) Oklahoma St scored a late touchdown to cover the spread as well. It will be interesting to see how they do on the road this week at Missouri.

Hawaii 32 at Fresno St 29

Fresno St had 6 turnovers to hand Hawaii the victory. Fresno St outgained Hawaii 522-342, and had 10 more 1st downs. I'm not sure Hawaii wouldn't get beat by an average of 3 touchdowns if they played this game 10 times. Fresno gave them the game.

Trizzle

Forum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Lattimore City, SC
Sorry, Eddie. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. just hadn't seen you here in a while and missed the great info. I decided to do it myself.

Bet on MyBookie