MLB - Monday 5/20

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
Yesterday: 2-1 (+60)
Season: 25-14 (+975)

Coming out of a weekend full of games into a small card for tonight. Here are the 3 I'm playing:

BOS -155 : A little more chalk than I am usually comfortable with, but I think I'll get it. Red Sox are on a roll, winning 5 of their last 7 and posting a 13-4 mark for the month of May. The White Sox are going the opposite direction after starting the season well, dropping 7 of their last 10 games. Ritchie and Lowe are both having good seasons, and even though I'm still not sure I'm sold on Lowe yet, I give him the edge today based on past appearances. Actually, neither of these pitchers have ever started against their opponent today, but their relief appearances have had very different results. In 17 appearances, totalling 22 innings, Lowe has a lifetime ERA of 3.27 vs. Chicago. On the other hand, Ritchie has faced the Boston 4 times, and has given up 12 earned runs in only 6 1/3 innings of work (ERA = 17.05 :eek: ). Go with the hot team with the better pitcher playing at home. That's usually a good formula for success.

TOR/NYY Over 9.5 -110 : I think I've cashed a couple of tickets in the past week betting the Yankees under (including yesterday), but I'm going the opposite way today. The average total for the 4 previous meetings between these teams this year is a whopping 14 (19, 7, 16, 14)! Both these team are on winning streaks (TOR 3 gms, NYY 4 gms) and have been hitting pretty well. The Yankees batters are absolutely on fire - over the last 7 days, Rondell White has the 10th best batting average on the team and he is hitting .286. I don't think the Yanks should have any problem putting up 7 or 8 runs tonight vs. Lyon, who gave up 7 earned runs in 6.2 innings (ERA = 9.95) in his only previous start against the Yankees. So, the Blue Jays should only need a couple to push the game Over, and they have a good shot to get more. They are averaging over 6 runs a game vs. the Yanks in 4 meetings already this year. Hernandez gave up 8 earned runs in 1.2 innings vs. the Devil Rays (yes, Devil Rays) in his last start and may be having some back trouble according to Joe Torre. As for Blue Jay hitters, Shannon Stewart, Jose Cruz, and Carlos Delgado all have at least 10 at bats vs. Hernandez, and all have slugging percentages over .800. I could go on, but you're probably asleep by now. I'm going OVER.

STL -155 : Don't have time to write much more after all that blabbering, but the Cardinals have historically hit Haynes better than the Reds have hit Williams (8 Cardinals have a lifetime BA of .280 or better vs. Haynes; Williams has a 3.26 ERA vs. Reds). Haynes hasn't given up a lot of runs to the Cards (lifetime ERA 3.72), but sooner or later all those hits will translate into runs. Ken Griffey, Jr. actually hits Woody Williams very well, but of course, he is still out. The Cardinals have now played 6 home games in a row and have won 5 of them, and are making a run at the over-achieving Reds for the division lead. Woody looked awfully good in his first start back from injury and I'm going with him tonight.

As always, good luck.

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
My over bet on the Yankees game just got a "No Action" because Hernandez is out tonight and Sterling Hitchcock will be pitching instead. Hitchcock's season ERA and lifetime ERA vs. the Bluejays are both worse than Hernandez, so I'm going to stick with this one and take:

TOR/NYY Over 9.5 -120 (Lyon v. Hitchcock)

Klavius

Forum Member
Mar 22, 2002
As always...THANKS for all the insight and great info Heyward! I jumped on ALL your plays tonight and was wondering if you had any thoughts on the Anaheim game. (Wanted to lay some coin on Ana as well but wanted your thoughts on it if possible.) Thanks pal!:D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
Tonight: 2-1 (+80)
Season: 27-15 (+1055)

Missed a perfect night by 1 run in the Yankees game - needed 10 and only got 9. Arrrrgh! Probably should have taken the pitching change and No Action as an omen that I should just let that one go. Hopefully, anyone who was paying attention to the picks today got their money back on the pitching change and didn't re-bet with Hitchcock. Aside from that, laying the chalk on BOS and STL produced two easy covers, and my 8th day in a row on this site (out of 8) without a losing night. My winnings on a daily basis aren't always that impressive, but it beats the hell out of losing, and over $1,000 in a week is a good haul in my world.

Klavius, thanks again for the encouragement, and I'm sorry I didn't check back before the Angels game started. Please feel free to ask my opinion on any game you like in the future. With all the capping skill on this site, I'm not sure I should be the one giving advice, but I'm happy to tell you what I think if you'd like to hear it. Back tomorrow.:)

Klavius

Forum Member
Mar 22, 2002
Thanks very much Heyward! Believe me...I have TREMENDOUS respect for your opinions! Really like your conservative, "grind it out" style of handicapping and picking winners too! You obviously know your stuff! (Remind me a lot of ndnfan and Robert B. Irish. 2 guys I always read and respect as well as you!) The 3 of you are a VERY knowledgable trio! We got screwed on the over in that Yankee game but hey.....the law of averages says we will win our share of those too! (And by the way...I DID lay some coin on Anaheim. As I write this they are leading 4-1 so maybe I'll win that unit back I lost on the over bet earlier! :D Have a good night and I'll check in with ya tomorrow!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg