MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Record at MadJacks: 3-0 (+3.19 Units)

COLORADO ?113:

Colorado has been clicking on offense pretty much from the get go this season but especially of late. The last 3 games, the Rockies are averaging nearly 10 runs a game and I don?t see that coming to an end today.

Garrett Stephenson?s getting the start today and like most pitchers that come to Coors, you can more than likely expect him to struggle in this one. Stephenson?s only made one career start at Coors, but did get lit up pretty good for 5 earned runs in 5 innings, even though he didn?t get a decision in that one. More importantly, is the fact that he made 4 other starts in his career vs the Rockies and the results weren?t much better. Overall, he is just 0-2 with a whopping 8.65 ERA in 5 career starts vs them allowing 47 hits and walks combined in just 26 total innings.

Stephenson does have another weakness in his numbers. That weakness is the fact that he struggles more vs left-handed batters than righties. He has allowed lefty batters to hit 65 points higher than righties over his career. This could be a bit on the beneficial side to him as the Rockies have a pretty much a righty-dominated lineup, however, the 2 biggest bats in the lineup just happen to be lefties?that being Todd Helton and Larry Walker who have simply owned him. Those 2 are hitting a combined .458 lifetime vs him along with a .900 Slugging % for Helton and a .714 slugging % for Walker.

Shawn Chacon gets the start for the Rockies and for those that don?t remember the piece I wrote about him in his first start, I?ll bring it up again. Chacon, for the first time this past offseason, started taking his job as a pitcher a little more seriously. He got demoted last August and when he thought he would get a late season call up, it didn?t happen. Chacon worked very hard this off-season and is continuing to work hard. In his first start, he pitched brilliantly, allowing just 2 hits in 7 innings and struck out 8 while walking none. That first start was what preceded by an awesome spring training in which he went 4-0 with a 1.64 ERA and also had a 3.5 to 1 strikeout/walk ratio.

One of the big problems Chacon had was the large amount of home runs that he use to allow. This number came way down the 2nd half of last season and he just keeps improving at cutting this tendency down. This spring, he allowed zero homers the entire spring and he followed it by only allowing a solo homer in his first game, which was one of only 2 total hits he allowed.

Chacon likes to work ahead in the count and when he does that effectively, his nasty curve and changeup are brutal on hitters. One reason for the change in the present day Chacon and his past is like I said earlier he?s taking pitching much more seriously. Lately he?s improved bigtime with his balance and mechanics by doubling up on bullpen sessions between starts. Because of this, there is almost NO difference in arm slot on any of his pitches.

Also, Andy Fletcher will be the home ump in this one and although Stephenson doesn?t have any experience with him, Chacon has had one start during his career when Fletcher was the home ump and he seemed to match up pretty well in that game. He allowed 2 runs in 8 innings of work, but more importantly he gave up zero homers in that game which shows he?s able to get ahead in the count with this guy back there. That might not make any sense to some, but the way I look at it, there are ?mistake? homerun pitches and there are ?grooved? homerun pitches. The grooved ones are probably the most hit ones, and those are the result of being behind in the count and having to throw a strike.

Bottom line in this one, I expect Colorado to keep piling up the runs. At least putting up enough to win this one and take 2 of 3 in the series. Do I expect Chacon to pitch as well as he did in his first start? Probably not, but I think the guy is refocused and confident and it would not surprise me at all to see another well pitched game out of him at the worst pitchers park in the majors. Also helps since St. Louis has never faced him before. I like my chances here. Give me the Rockies!

Good luck :thumb:

-ndnfan

Last edited:

vyrus858

Forum Member
Apr 9, 2003
San Diego, CA
Rockies

Rockies

hello ndnfan...although I am new to MadJacksports.com i have always followed ure picks. I am going with your Colorado pick ML with one unit, but was curious to see if you like the Twins tommorow at NYY?

Thanks

Cyrus

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
May 26, 2002
Canada
always love when ndfan posts...........

3-0 ........if my math is correct that's 100 %

maybe one day you'll know baseball as well as me........LOL!!!!!

(and by the way........made 100 bucks on the slots!!.......lost 500 in Baccarat....dammit LOL!!)

vyrus858

Forum Member
Apr 9, 2003
San Diego, CA
Twins

Twins

Haha Ndnfan...thats why I asked your expert advice...I took them on a small half unit before u answered so I guess ill have to deall with the outcome...Tell me, are u looking at SF/Dodgers at all?

Thanks Again,

Cyrus

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Cyrus (vyrus858)...I think there are better games than the SF/Dodgers game out there. Personally, not even a lean either way in that one.

GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

vyrus858

Forum Member
Apr 9, 2003
San Diego, CA
ROUND OF APPLAUSE

ROUND OF APPLAUSE

What a more exciting way to hit a bet, then 2 homers in the bottom of the eight and a double play in the ninth to win it. Congradulations ndnfan on yet another great pick and lets keep them rolling :D...Great call

Cyrus

ddubs

Let's Go Boilers!!!
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2000
The Windy City
Damn, I need to pay more attention to when you post. I totally missed it. Would have put more $$$ on it had I known you were. Great call, Pete:D

Spock

Vulcan Visitor
Forum Member
Nov 1, 2001
Canada
Pete .. do you factor Todd Jones while capping Colorado games. He usually gets 15 pitches to allow 4 runs or more depending on the score @ that time :rolleyes:

4 - 0 now :D

Heyward

Forum Member
May 12, 2002
NC
Whew! I said so many foul things about Todd Jones and his mother that now I'm starting to feel a little guilty (a little). After the triple play in the 6th, I didn't think there was anyway the Rockies could lose until that chump took the mound. But, as you predicted, Helton and Walker pulled it out, both hitting 2 of 4 and scoring 2 runs each. Nice job. The work you put in is greatly appreciated.

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Spock, you know what? Doesn't surprise me seeing something like that happening with the Rockies bullpen.....that's one reason I didn't mention how good they were pitching so far this year (JONES ESPECIALLY!) I don't trust that guy, even though before today, he's been pitching awesome. The game played out early like I thought. Chacon with his 2nd straight impressive game at Coors and Helton and Walker (the lefties) did some damage vs Stephenson. I do feel fortunate though....crazy things happen in baseball :)

Thanks for the kudos everyone. Hopefully you guys don't have to sweat too much on the rest of your games :D

Good luck

-ndnfan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Heyward said:
Whew! I said so many foul things about Todd Jones and his mother that now I'm starting to feel a little guilty (a little). After the triple play in the 6th, I didn't think there was anyway the Rockies could lose until that chump took the mound. But, as you predicted, Helton and Walker pulled it out, both hitting 2 of 4 and scoring 2 runs each. Nice job. The work you put in is greatly appreciated.

Heyward.....I hear ya.....tough game to watch. Glad to get that one in!

Good luck to you this season :)

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
great call on Col ndnfan.

they pulled it out! 4-0 now posting picks here so thanks.

We should all seriously consider going on your service! In the meantime thanks for the free ones.

Scott King of Dogs