ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Posted record at MadJacks: 12-1-1

FLORIDA -146 (Willis vs Ramirez listed)

FLORIDA:

Florida has become a scoring machine of late averaging 8.75 Runs per game over the last 8 games. Florida continues to destroy left-handed pitching this season. They are hitting .300 vs lefties for the season and over the last 10 game span, they are hitting lefties even better, hitting for a .400 clip! Today Florida will be facing the left-hander Horacio Ramirez, who in 2 lifetime starts vs Florida has a whopping ERA of 8.18

Of the 2 starts Ramirez has made vs Florida, one came at home in Atlanta where he did pitch decent, but nothing special. He gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 6 innings of work, but did not strikeout any batters while walking 2. Atlanta gave him a comfort zone in that game by putting up 13 runs. The other start came in Florida where the Marlins rocked him for 7 earned runs in just 5 innings. I can see that same outcome possibly happening today considering this game is in Florida and when you look at the fact that Ramirez, like many young pitchers, will tend to struggle a lot more away from home. Ramirez has an ERA of 5.36 on the road which is almost a full 3 runs higher than what he allows when pitching at home (2.54 ERA at home).

Ramirez is a groundball pitcher, but Florida is a team that has a lot of team speed and runs a lot. They actually lead the entire Major Leagues in stolen bases and this helps them in staying out of a lot of potential double plays which will only help when facing a guy like Ramirez who will get his fair share of ground balls. One more note on Ramirez, is the fact that even though he usually keeps the ball on the ground, he will make many more mistake pitches on the road. He?s given up 7 of his 9 home runs allowed away from Turner Field in Atlanta and this ties right into the home/away number for youngsters and certain other pitchers. The focus is lost some when the pressure is on and when you don?t have the support of the home fans, sometimes it?s very difficult for some pitchers.

Dontrelle Willis gets the start for Florida in this game and what?s not to like about this guy? The guy is simply one of the brightest rising star pitchers in baseball. He?s already put some $$ in my pocket this year and if the price is right, I?ll continue to go with him if enough supporting situations warrant the play.

Willis has now made a total of 10 starts since his call-up and is an amazing 8-1 with a 2.26 ERA.

Willis is extremely tough to face the 1st time around and even though Atlanta has hit lefties well this season, they are not currently, and even struggled against Mark Redman a couple days ago who is someone they would normally get to. The last 10 games vs lefties, Atlanta is hitting just .153 and I can?t see them hitting this Willis kid with his funky delivery he has going on. Batters have an extremely tough time picking up the ball because of that ?funky? style.

Willis has only given up 3 home runs in his 10 starts and has a better than 3 to 1 strikeout/walk ratio averaging nearly a strikeout per inning pitched.

Home Plate Umpire is scheduled to be Tim Timmons who has called a very high strike % this season at around 63%. Timmons? strikeout/walk ratio is at 2.25 which looks like a really good match for Willis especially when you look at the fact that Timmons? games behind the plate are averaging a very high 15.2 strikeouts per game in his 18 called games. This is an extremely high number of strikeouts for any Umpire and I wouldn?t be surprised to see Willis rack them up in this game.

Timmons is also 6-1 for the home team when that home team is favored by ?125 on up this season and if you go all the way back through the 1999 season, you?ll see that these home favorites of ?125 on up are hitting at a very high 68.6% with Timmons back there. Those home favorites have a record of 46-21

Did I forget to mention, that Willis can handle the bat very well for a pitcher? This guy even has a home run this season.

Bottom line, I think this game is going to be a big pitching mismatch and when you throw in the fact that Florida is absolutely crushing the ball of late, I?ll take my chances and hope this isn?t close at the end. The bullpen situation does favor Atlanta, but I do expect Willis to give a good 7 innings and hopefully by then, this game is out of reach.

Good luck everyone :thumb:

-ndnfan

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
tough to go anti-willis right now but this game looks like a huge huge overlay. not sure if i can justify willis as a 3/2 chalk here. but he's pitching out of his mind right now. hope you hit it bud. just seems like theres a sh1tload of value in the braves now that willis basically "valued-out" imo

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
skins.... I actually think the number's about right on as far as the over/under goes. As far as the runline goes, if the game plays out like I expect, I think the runline gets covered, but would I recommend playing it? NO. Usually I don't play any runlines, unless the line is in the -200 range. There's a lot of things that can happen in a game, that'll throw your handicapping out the window and that's the reason I'll rarely play anything high on the moneyline, but the -145 to -150's that are out there now is reasonable and doesn't warrant taking a chance on the runline.

GL

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
gman2 said:
tough to go anti-willis right now but this game looks like a huge huge overlay. not sure if i can justify willis as a 3/2 chalk here. but he's pitching out of his mind right now. hope you hit it bud. just seems like theres a sh1tload of value in the braves now that willis basically "valued-out" imo

Gman?.I been thinking along the same lines about the value with Willis for the past several games and the more I thought about it, the more I get the feeling that there is no value lost whatsoever in playing Willis today, but value gained due to the fact that he?s playing "Atlanta". "Atlanta" is beatable unlike the perception that everyone has of them and especially of late, losing 5 of their last 7. On the other hand, Willis is NOT beatable right now and the numbers back that up?so when I?m getting the other supporting stuff in addition to the ?lower? number they applied to a guy because of "Atlanta", I think there?s plenty of value?...how can you say he's "valued out" until he at least proves that he is?

GL today.

-ndnfan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Thanks Tom!

Lanny...that Limaland weather warm enough for ya?

A little more on the value stuff, for all the cappers out there. Sometimes it?s easy to ?over-apply? your own knowledge of handicapping and the value standpoint. I?m not saying you?re over-capping the game, but rather over-applying your generous knowledge of sportsbetting when looking for value in a line. I?ve been guilty of this same thing at times, but I?m starting to catch myself more and more when I do it. It mostly has to do with the perception you have with a certain team or player and that counter-acts your basic or experienced sportsbetting knowledge.

On a side note for the cappers, I read or hear all the time about people saying they over-handicapped the game or spent too much time on the game and that?s the reason they lost or are losing?.people even tell me that on occasion. I am in 100% TOTAL DISAGREEMENT when I hear stuff like this. The more information you get about a game, the more you?ll be able to see how it?ll play out. When people say they are ?over-capping? a game, what they mean to say is that they don?t have enough experience to apply the right amount of weight on how much each piece of information will factor in the particular game and the extra info will make them second guess or get ?caught in the switches?. This stuff all comes with experience and in time you?ll get a good feeling. I?ll be the first to admit, I?m still learning, but watch for the stuff and use that to help you in the future. Each game is different, and what means something in one game, might have little bearing on another.

Also, keep in mind that it?s called ?gambling? for a reason. All it takes is one little variable in a game to throw your work out the window, so keep that in mind when betting. Don?t load up on a game because you feel super strong about it?the time you do that an error, fumble, injury, or some fluke unpredictable thing will happen and make your loaded up play useless. I've had plenty of those "bullpen" blown games this season..that's for sure. Just stick with good money management and hopefully those wins will come to you.

Good luck everyone.

-ndnfan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bohawk

Forum Member
Dec 12, 1999
Lima ohio
GL87 & Muggy here Pete. Almost don`t want to play golf
later this afternoon. Almost. Like tribe`s Wedge. Played
here for "Lima Locos".Trying hard with a bunch of youngsters
is a hard thing to do.
:D :shrug: GL ,Lanny

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
ndnfan

good logic here.

Atlanta just not playing that well but they will pick it up after the All Star break.

Willis should dominate this game. I watched the last game Willis pitched and he was awesome. Control, off speed and then run in that 93 mph fastball or whatever it is. Braves should continue to suck right now.

I am on Marlins. Thanks ndnfan.

keep up the good work. I hate going against Wizz but I got a gut feeling about the game. I wouldnt play it if I didnt see you on this as your logic sounds right on.

KOD

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gman2

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2002
ndfan:

aside from the result, not a poor play on your part at all. willis (again) did his part. someone had to win that pitchers duel. the kid right now is absolutely lights out.

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
great game and great pitchers dual....Ramirez was up to the task and kudos to him and the Atlanta bettors. Gotta admit though, this Willis kid is a star of the future...or should I say the present.

GL on Thursday everyone :)

-ndnfan