MNF: This could get ugly

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Beatrix Potter

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
This time last week, I saw the St. Louis line at -10.5 and I was foaming at the mouth. Of course, I didn't put the game in and it has since gone up. I figured it would go up by game time, but I thought it would be way up. Bottom line, I still love this game. Detroit is just overmatched on many levels. So what if St. Louis isn't playing at home. The Rams and the Lions are moving in opposite directions, the Rams up and the Lions way, way, way down. Their secondary is very banged oup with 2 starting safeties and one corner out. This does not bode well for the Lions seeing as St. Louis loves to throw the ball and will with some ease against this team. Throw in the lacking pass rush, and we will have lots of points. St. Louis defense coming off solid performance and the whole team is rolling. Every knows the trouble with the Lions offense, there is none. No leadership, no passing, no rushing. I think this will be a beating, only thing that scares me is the way some pro teams don't get up for teams the are at the bottom of the NFL barrel. For example, Arizona beating Philly today. Anyways, St. Louis by a whole lot. Over may also be a good play, but I have been getting demoralized by the over/unders lately, so I don't want any part of it.

Riviman

Forum Member
Apr 3, 2000
My offshore has it now Rams-14.5 , don't think I can turn down those points at home on MNF when Detroit needs to show up big, whether they win or lose is irrelevant, this spread is 3 scores. Got to take those points.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
On principle alone, you take the Lions as a home dog. and then on Monday Night. and then as 14 point dogs.

I know they have looked awful, but they've looked awful on the road before only to come back strong at home. Have to think that Detmer can't play any worse than their last and have to think that the Rams can't get any better than their last

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

shmuly

Forum Member
Jan 21, 2001
Miami
riviman , take them cos you think they can do it ...not because they have to show up etc , rmember the gb/wash mnf
when washington HAD to show up

Riviman

Forum Member
Apr 3, 2000
Shmuly, I understand what you are saying, I just love the points in this situation.. The Monday Night Game between Wash VS GB had the heavy favorite at home and the spread was between 9.5 and 10. This game the home team is getting 14.5 which makes it a 3 score spread just like Oakland today.Oakland was at home, 3 scores are hard to cover , you can easily dominate and never cover the game because the outcome is already determined by mid-third quarter. I would not be suprised if the Rams win by 45, they can play those kind of games, but 3 scores at home makes me smell tight game or backdoor cover. This makes me love the lions

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Here is a trend to consider . . . at least for the first half.

DETROIT is 17-5 against the first half line as a home underdog since 1992.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
My reasoning for taking Detroit Monday night.

I always look at NFL football (especially Monday night) from the book's side of the fence. Weekends like this are what used to keep me driving new caddies until I was forced to retire in 1993.

Lots of credit players lost their butts on Saturday. For the most part those that were in trouble ended up in even deeper trouble after playing the NFL on Sunday. Now they have one last chance to get out of the trap and scared players are going to lay the points on the Rams . . . because they are supposed to win and cover.

Careful guys . . . and gals. I've personally already played Detroit on the moneyline as well as the spread. It's a long shot, but at six to one at home on Monday night . . . give me a break . . . or two. A few turnovers in key situations and Detroit could easily win the game outright.

BobbyBlueChip hit it right on the money when he said " Have to think that Detmer can't play any worse than their last and have to think that the Rams can't get any better than their last."

The Rams "could" blow Detroit away and who would be surprised? Nobody.

Detroit "could" win the game outright and who would be surprised? Everyone except "The Man" when he comes by to collect on Tuesday . . . in his shiney new Lexus.

Riviman

Forum Member
Apr 3, 2000
I just played it Lions +14.5 at Gameday but they have a night time limit in effect right now, I hope that .5 point is there in the morning.

sweatbet

Forum Member
May 21, 2001
NCU, great post, when is the last time you saw a home dog on a Monday night catching 2 TD's? I'm with you all the way.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
You are right. It has been a long time since a home dog on Monday night got 14 plus points. Even longer since one got 14 plus points and didn't cover.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jmizeus

Forum Member
Dec 15, 2000
western,ny
afetr detmers performance last week 7 int's plus the fact that detroit can't score, and then for them to keep up w/a team that can score at will???

stlouis by 20

i see this game stlouis 38

detroit 17

TORONTO-VIGILANTE

ad interim...
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
"...Quo fas et gloria ducunt..."
well, by 'Mizer's predicted score, i should win my teaser tonite....

biggrin.gif

Juji-gatame

Forum Member
Dec 28, 2000
El Paso, Tx, USA
I beg to differ sirs. The trends favor the home dog, MNF, movement of the line etc. I look for Detroit to turn it over maybe once or twice if any and their D is underestimated. They should have been blown out by much more having turned it over so many times. Det is hungry for a win and after tonight will probably be starving but I feel will kep it within the generous 14-. With 2 weeks to prep and a steady running game, Det has a shot. Good Luck. Lord knows I'll need it.

St Louis 27
Detroit 20

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
This is crazy, but what the heck, nobody expects me to be close with a long shot call like this.

DET 14
STL 10

Juji-gatame

Forum Member
Dec 28, 2000
El Paso, Tx, USA
Boy wouldn't that be something. I sure do like all the points and may just take the under as well. I see it at 50 now. I was just in San Antonio earlier this week on business and visiting my brother. He lives on the Southeast side near Victoria and Rigsby exit. San Antonio is an awesome city
Good luck NCU. I need to get a little caught up. I got hurt in college Sat. Late!

Beatrix Potter

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
I said it once and I'll say it again. St. Louis is just too strong for Detroit. They've had a while to study the Rams, but they're probably also rusty. The prep time might give them some ability to score, but St. Louis will be airing it out against a very overmatched Detroit secondary. I got St. Louis at -14 and bought the hook to get them at 13.5. Also took the over at 50. Only time will tell.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
Beatrix,

Congratulations on a well deserved win. You certainly had this one pegged. I look forward to reading your calls on future games.

I may not always agree, but I alway keep an open mind and respect other cappers opinions . . . especially those that earn my respect with calls like you made on this game.

Best wishes,

NCU

Rowdy

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2001
bevatrix potter in hizzzouse!

Excellent analysis of the game. Keep those winners coming!!