Monday, May 9 MLB Plays

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
YTD RECORD MLB: 57-35 (+18.88 UNITS)

It's been a very good weekend. Not a whole lot I'm thrilled about on Monday, but I do really like one play and I'll try it for 2 units:

ATLANTA -163 (HUDSON VS WRIGHT LISTED)(2 UNITS)

This game is a complete mismatch. Let's take a look.

In my opinion, Colorado's starter Jamey Wright is a very bad fit for pitching at Coors Field..most pitchers are, but him especially. The guy has always been a nibbler and tends to walk a lot of batters while running his pitch count up early in games. The last thing you want to do at Coors is put extra runners on base via the walk...it can only get you in trouble. Throw in the fact that he has never pitched well at Coors, it doesn't look good for him. Here are his Career numbers at Coors as well as his numbers at Coors this season:

Wright in 2 Home starts at Coors this season: 0-2 with a 13.94 ERA and has given up 19 hits(3 home runs) and 4 walks in just 10.1 innings pitched.

Wright in 55 career starts at Coors Field is 13-18 with a 6.85 ERA and has given up 415 hits(48 home runs) and 147 walks in 322 innings pitched. In other words, he's allowing nearly 2 runners to reach base per inning over that long span of 322 career innings.

A big thing when you break down the above number is the fact that Wright only has 13 winning decisions in 55 career starts at Coors. That's 42 starts out of 55 starts where he has either lost or where the bullpen has gotten the decision. Now this is not a good thing when you take this fact a bit further and look at bullpen numbers for Colorado:

Colorado's bullpen at home might be the worst pen at home in the Majors having an ERA of 9.09 at home and there's a good chance the pen will see 4 or more innings in this game especially if Wright's pitch count runs up high early.

Also, in case you were wondering, several of Atlanta's big boppers have had very good success vs Wright. Here are a few of their career averages and On Base Percentages vs him:

Andruw Jones...6 for 16 lifetime(.375 average) to go along with an OBP of .474
Chipper Jones...10 for 25 lifetime(.400 average) with an OBP of .531
Brian Jordan...10 for 24 lifetime(.417 average) with an OBP of .462
Raul Mondesi..3 for 8 lifetime(.375 average) with an OBP of .444

Hudson gets the start for Atlanta in this game and I think the only thing that's keeping this line from being a lot higher is the fact that it's Hudson's first career start at Coors Field. Of course this works both ways, meaning most of the Colorado hitters have very little if any experience vs him and that definitely favors the pitcher.

Hudson is also a pretty good fit for this ballpark in my opinion(at least as good of fit as any pitcher could possibly be at Coors). The guy is a groundballer and is always near the top of the leaders in groundball/flyball ratio and that's exactly what you want at Coors Field. Pitcher's are always more effective in this ballpark when the ball is hit on the ground and he's one of the best in baseball at inducing ground balls and inducing groundball double plays when he needs it. I checked this season and so far his groundball/flyball ratio is 59-35.

Hudson will usually go deep into games, but maybe not quite as deep in this one just because of the ballpark factor, but it's also nice to see that Atlanta's bullpen on the Road has been very impressive with an ERA of 2.11 so far this season.

Good luck to all :thumb:

-ndnfan

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
thanks Bassmaster...can't go wrong with the streaks...and you're right...Braves 5 straight wins and Rockies won for the first time in their last 11 today.

Good luck!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Franky Wright

Forum Member
May 28, 2002
Heaven, oh!!, this isn't it?!
Hey Pete,
Love your stuff! Followed you a long time now :)

So WTF is up with this game? :scared
One site has 88% money on the Braves and the line continues to drop? :scared
This has "set-up" or "trap" written all over it! I really want to pull the trigger here, but will wait for your response...........

Thx
Franky

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Franky Wright said:
Hey Pete,
Love your stuff! Followed you a long time now :)

So WTF is up with this game? :scared
One site has 88% money on the Braves and the line continues to drop? :scared
This has "set-up" or "trap" written all over it! I really want to pull the trigger here, but will wait for your response...........

Thx
Franky

Hey Franky....My thought's on so called "trap" games: the line moves opposite of the obvious, but I also believe that if you look at these games from all angles, or break down those so called "trap" games enough that they tend to not really look like a trap anymore and you can see why the line or spread moved opposite of the obvious.

Now with this game, I can honestly say, that I really don't have an answer. I can usually tell which way a baseball line will move off the opening number, but thought this one could go either way after I capped it. Based on the capped out game though, the line should really be going up IMO.

The main thing with the line drop is the fact that it's Hudson's first start at Coors Field and I think there are some heavy hitters out there pounding the Rockies for that reason alone because it can be a real shock to the pitcher first time pitching there and they might just think that no way should a first time starter deserve to be a -160 or more fav. and are pounding it for what they perceive as value.

I'm my opinion, there is tremendous value in Atlanta in this game and if you can get the line in the -140's, you have an absolute bargain, because like I said above, I think Hudson fit's good there and someone that does historically pitch decent on the road and even if it does turn out to be high scoring, what bullpen would you want. I think the Rockies pen might be the worst in the majors and they are young as well which makes it even worse pitching at Coors. Also, travel isn't an issue because both teams travelled

I don't put too much stock in the betting consensus in baseball because it's usually going to favor the favorite or the ace...you just have to figure out which ones have value and which ones don't. But as I said above, I did think it's a possibility that the line could drop off that opening number based on non-capping value alone, but if you break down the game and cap it out, I think you're getting some serious value in the Braves

Now I've been wrong at times in the past, but in my opinion, there is absolutely only one way to go in this game and that is Atlanta. Hope I'm right.

Good luck if you decide to play.

Pete

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
JIMMYBOY said:
GREAT INFO....

ONE QUESTION? WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT PLAYING ATLANTA RUN LINE -115 ?
THANKS

JIMMY

Jimmy...I'm not a big fan of playing a runline when you're only gaining approximately 50 cents or so off the moneyline. However playing at Coors, you'll see the runline cover more often. Just really have no opinion on this one.

Good luck to you.

addikted

Forum Member
Jan 18, 2005
Ohio
Thanks for your replies ndn, have a great deal of respect for you and your capping ability.

GLA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

gethman

Forum Member
Nov 21, 2003
Los Cristianos
Pete,

Good luck with your play tonight. From following your threads, I see you seem to handicap your games using pitcher vs batter past records.....how would you handicap a game where there is little history on a pitcher facing a teams batters?

What I am trying to get at is what other factors would you consider when this info is not available?

Thanks in advance. :)

Franky Wright

Forum Member
May 28, 2002
Heaven, oh!!, this isn't it?!
ndnfan said:
I don't put too much stock in the betting consensus in baseball because it's usually going to favor the favorite or the ace...you just have to figure out which ones have value and which ones don't. But as I said above, I did think it's a possibility that the line could drop off that opening number based on non-capping value alone, but if you break down the game and cap it out, I think you're getting some serious value in the Braves
Pete

Well big guy, I hit it. The nice thing is I capped this the same way, and my eyes bugged out :scared . The whole thing did not make sense when the line started to move with me. But as you stated above, it is sometimes difficult to figure, and it was nice that you gave some reasons why you thought it moved in the direction it did. The only thing I could see other than what you showed is the umpires for the game. Maybe the "boys" have applied some pressure to whoever is going to be behind the plate :cursin: Things that make you go hmmmmm :rolleyes:
As a safety net, I did also take the Braves over. I think they are seeing the ball real well, and like you said there are some career numbers that support that tonight.
GL to us tonight Pete!

Franky