MONDAY...

Neemer

Forum Member
Aug 24, 1999
Bluegrass!
Denver's starters will be in for about 20 to 25 plays. The first-string offense is still looking for its first touchdown after settling for field goals in Dallas.

I watched the Dallas/Denver game and the final score didn't really tell the whole story in that one. Broncs abused 'em most of the game, just couldn't find a way to punch it in...

Offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said the Packers, even with the injuries they have on defense, present a good challenge. He pointed to defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, who spent five seasons as a Broncos assistant.

"Ed's defense ended up in the top 10 last year," Kubiak said. "He does a great job. He knows our offense like the back of his hand since he was with us for so long. They present a lot of problems with their looks. It's a lot different from what we've been working on in training camp, so it's a good test for us."

Packers are hurting at linebacker and up the middle on defense, however.

Defensive tackles Russell Maryland, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown and Steve Warren won't play because of injury. Neither will linebackers Na'il Diggs or ex-Broncos linebacker Nate Wayne. Starting cornerback Tyrone Williams also is out, along with talented rookie Bhawoh Jue. Former Broncos linebacker Chris Gizzi will start in place of Wayne.

Kubiak said the sellout crowd should help players get used to the noise and the pressure.

The Green Bay Packers' revolving door of defensive tackles continued Sunday as the team signed free agent Harry Deligianis and waived Matt Keneley.
Keneley was the seventh Packers defensive tackle who has been hurt during the preseason. He needs an operation to repair a disk problem in his back.

Near-perfect -- Jason Elam concluded camp with impressive 68-for-70 accuracy on field-goal attempts. He missed once from 48 yards, another from 53.

"This is probably the best camp I've ever had," the nine-year veteran said. "I think it was, by far. And I feel the best I have, so I'm pretty happy with it."

There have been no signs of the back troubles that hampered Elam last season after he broke two transverse process bones in Week 2. He's prepared to resume kickoff duties full time.

Now, 19 1/2 months later, Rhodes is returning to Green Bay for the first time -- back in a satisfying role as defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos

"The textbook quote would be to say, 'No, it's just another game.' But knowing Ray, probably he wears his emotions on his sleeve and I'm sure it matters to him," cornerback Eric Davis said. "I'm sure it will."

"This is a real good team and we know we're a good team," said veteran cornerback Eric Davis, who has played on his share of Super Bowl contenders. "We expect to be a very good team. And that's what guys are working toward. We don't have a group that's satisfied. I see that. It's fun to be part of it."

The shortest training camp on record didn't answer every question. But it settled a few battles and offered a few surprises.

At quarterback, Brian Griese showed he has no problems with his surgically repaired shoulder. He didn't need to ice it down once, and he looked sharp on a daily basis.

That's what happened to the Green Bay Packers in their preseason opener at Cleveland on Aug. 11. Expecting to watch an offensive line imitate a fine-tuned machine and control the opponent, the Packers instead struggled against a Browns' defensive line that may have talent, but is not included among the best defensive lines in the NFL

Very rare I skip on an opportunity to take a home dog on Monday Night, but with the numerous injuries that plague the Pack on defense, I think Anderson and Gary will probably have a field day running through the Pack's 4-5th string tackles.

We also could possibly see an unusual high scoring preseason game 2-night.

Rhodes' expertise as a defensive coordinator rarely has been questioned. He won five Super Bowls as an assistant coach and coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers and guided the Packers defense to a No. 2 ranking in 1993.

Last year as defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins, he transformed a 30th-ranked unit into fourth-best in the NFL.

The 6-foot-4, 304-pound Deligianis never has played in an NFL regular-season game. He was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars from Youngstown State in 1998 and has spent time with the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers.

[This message has been edited by Neemer (edited 08-20-2001).]

Bet on MyBookie