money line vs spread???

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Bill

Forum Member
Oct 5, 2002
Dallas
Is there a generally accepted rule relative to point spread and its effect on the money line.

I know the ML increases expotentially as the spread goes up and I know the vig is higher as the ML increases but was wondering if there is a constant, ie.,

-.5 = -120
-1.0 = -125
-1.5 = -135
-2 = -145
-2.5 = -155
-3 = -180

Well you get the idea. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

GM

PleasureGlutton
Forum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Toronto, ON, Canada
It differs by sport (and also by whether the home or road team is favored within each sport I believe). A -7 in hoops is not the same thing as a -7 in football, in other words. I recall hearing some time ago there was some sort of chart outlining where they would set the initial ML for any given pointspread, but I don't know where that chart is available online...it must be out there somewhere, though. From there, it's possible they may adjust the ML but not the spread (or vice versa) if one of the two gets one-sided action but the other does not.

Bill

Forum Member
Oct 5, 2002
Dallas
I know it is different in different sports but there has to be a rule of thumb that keeps the books competitive.

Someone will know and hopefully will post.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Master Capper

Emperior
Forum Member
Jan 12, 2002
Dunedin, Florida
no rule of thumb, as there are too many variables in basketball to have a per se cheat sheet. In basketball you have such factors as individual foul problems, tempo of the game etc...