==== My guesses ............. ====

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Mr. Poon

Sugar?
Forum Member
Jan 14, 2006
Colorado
maybe a couple points against FIU and Cuse from what you have due to their exhibition losses. Would think those are in the neighborhood though. Curious on the totals of some of these.

Unreal that the season is here, but bring on the round ball.

shawn555

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 11, 2000
berlin md
7:00 pm (ESPNU) 2k Sports Classic (Bottom team is home) Opening Round
711 Florida International
712 North Carolina -31?
11:00 pm (ESPNU) 2k Sports Classic (Bottom Team Is Home) Opening Round
713 Murray State
714 California -13
7:00 pm Write in Game
715 Alcorn State
716 Ohio State -36?
9:00 pm (ESPNU) Write in Game
717 Albany NY
718 Syracuse -22?

I am liking Albany catching 22 1/2.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
UAlbany names starting five vs. Syracuse
November 8, 2009

ALBANY ? UAlbany coach Will Brown named after today?s practice his probable starting lineup for Monday?s opener against Syracuse at the Carrier Dome.

It will be 6-0 freshman Mike Black at point guard, 6-0 junior Tim Ambrose at shooting guard, 6-5 senior Will Harris at small forward, 6-8 junior Fran Urli at power forward and 6-11 senior Brett Gifford at center.

Ambrose, Harris and Gifford are returning starters. The newcomers are Black, starting in place of the suspended Mike Johnson, and Urli, a junior college transfer from Croatia.

Brown said this lineup was determined somewhat by Syracuse?s size up front and its 2-3 zone defense.

?I think Urli has been the most consistent of all of our frontcourt players,? Brown said. ?He does everything we ask him to do. Plus, he can really shoot and score down low. I want to see what he can do against those trees down there at Syracuse. He?s really done a good job in practice and in scrimmages at consistently scoring the ball or drawing fouls. He executes our gameplan to a T.

?And with all the size Syracuse has, we need Giff (Gifford) in there for the glass and anchoring our defense,? Brown continued. ?Giff?s a really good passer against zones from the high post, plus he shoots it well from the mid-baseline to the high-post areas where you can get shots against the zone. Plus, I think it?s more of a physical lineup, outside of Black.?

Brown said he?s comfortable playing Black, who?s been bothered by knee tendinitis, partly because Syracuse is also playing two inexperience point guards in freshman Brandon Triche and sophomore Scoop Jardine, replacing NBA lottery pick Jonny Flynn. Jardine redshirted last season.

Freshman guard Derrek Tartt, who?s had back problems, will back up Black at the point.

?I?m hoping Mike can take a deep breath and relax, but I will not hesitate to go with Timmy (Ambrose) or (Louis) Barraza at the point, if Barrza can play, especially if they?re playing zone,? Brown said.

UAlbany junior shooting guard Louis Barraza was wearing sweats during today?s practice.

Brown said Barraza is battling flu-like symptoms that elevated his temperature to 102 degrees on Saturday night.

Brown said Barraza?s availability will be a game-time decision.

Barraza also has the ring finger on his right (shooting) hand in a splint because he tore ligaments in the preseason.

?He can?t catch a break,? Brown said. ?He got whacked in practice. He can almost turn (the finger) 90 degrees. He?s been shooting the heck, out of it though ? He?s a tough kid, though. He?s had a great preseason.?

Barraza was affected by Achilles? tendinitis last season.

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
UAlbany-Syracuse pregame thoughts

--AlbanyTimes

It?s hard to believe the college basketball season is about to start tonight with UAlbany facing Syracuse of the Big East at the Carrier Dome in the 2K Sports Classic.

In fact, this ties the earliest the Great Danes have started a season. The other was the last time UAlbany played in the 2K Sports Classic, when the Great Danes beat Oakland (Mich.) 90-73 on Nov. 9, 2005.

As everyone?s aware of by now, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is attempting to become the eighth Division I coach to win 800 games.

?I love it, especially with the significance of the game,? UAlbany senior forward Will Harris said during the preseason. ?That would be his 800th win, or we might be able to spoil it if we come in and play well. I don?t want to be the team that he gets it on. If we can spoil it, it would be good.?

While Harris hasn?t played at the Carrier Dome, he did face the Orange when he was a sophomore at the University of Virginia. Harris scored seven points as the Cavaliers lost 70-68 to the Orange in Charlottesville.

UAlbany is expecting to see more of Syracuse?s signature 2-3 zone than the Orange showed in an 82-79 exhibition loss to Division II Le Moyne last Wednesday.

Boeheim said after that game that Syracuse played man-to-man against Le Moyne in order to experiment with it and get it on film.

?I?m anxious to see what Syracuse is going to do,? UAlbany coach Will Brown said. ?Are they going to come out and try to play man-to-man against us? They struggled with it against Le Moyne. Or are they going to come out and play 35 or 40 minutes of 2-3 zone??

?I?m hoping they mix and match because that?s going to force us to think and react,? Brown said. ?It gives us an opportunity to work against man-to-man and also work against zone. I?m not sure it?s a matter of what Syracuse does. I?m more concerned about what we do. Getting a shot every time down the floor and not allowing their length and athleticism to bother us.?

If Syracuse does play a lot of zone, it could provide a test of how much UAlbany?s perimeter shooting has actually improved. The Great Danes had the worst 3-point accuracy in the America East last season.

?I?m expecting them to play a little bit of man, not too much,? UAlbany junior guard Tim Ambrose said. ?I?m expecting them to play 2-3 because that?s all I?ve seen them play growing up. If they play the zone, it?ll be a really great test for all of us. We?ve been shooting well in practice. We?ve just got to let it carry over.?

Brown pointed out the cavernous Carrier Dome isn?t an easy place to shoot because of the depth perception. And the size of Syracuse?s defenders doesn?t help, either.

?What we need to realize is, a 2-3 zone we see against Syracuse is going to be a little different than a 2-3 zone we see against Hartford or New Hampshire because of the length and the size,? Brown said. ?Usually, in our league, we can get the ball inside against a zone and make teams pay. They?re so big inside, what I?m looking for is how crisp our ball movement is and if we get good shots against it. The big thing is we don?t turn the ball over because I think against this Syracuse team, we can?t give them any transition baskets. We can?t give them any odd-man baskets. We have to make them play 5-on-5 as much as possible.?

Brown sounded very concerned about Syracuse?s frontcourt, including 6-9 power forward Rick Jackson and 6-9 center Arinze Onuaku.

While UAlbany has finished in the top 10 in Division I in rebound margin the past two seasons, they?re facing a different kind of athlete against the Orange.

?Can we keep those two big fellas off the glass?? Brown asked.

Onuaku is coming off a knee injury, however, and didn?t look like himself against Le Moyne with three points on 1-of-6 shooting in 20 minutes.

?If you watched films of him last year and watch film of him against Le Moyne, it?s two different players,? Brown said. ?He?s not 100 percent. He?s still good enough to have a major impact on our game. I think that they have as good of a frontcourt when healthy as any team in the Big East. They?re huge up front.?

?Pretty much, we?ve just got to be physical with them,? UAlbany senior center Brett Gifford said. ?When they get the ball in the post, you can?t back down. You can?t let them just bully us under the basket. We?ve especially got to block them out.?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Orange Scouting Report-Albany at Syracuse

To the point
The exhibition loss to Le Moyne last week should guarantee at least one thing ? the Orange won?t be caught overlooking Albany in the season opener tonight.

Three points

1. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is one win shy of his 800th career victory. Duke?s Mike Krzyzewski and UConn?s Jim Calhoun are the only active coaches with more than 800 wins.
2. North Carolina?s Dean Smith, Kentucky?s Adolph Rupp and Mount St. Mary?s Jim Phelan are the only coaches with more wins at just one school than Boeheim?s 799 at Syracuse.
3. Albany freshman Ralph Watts and SU?s Brandon Triche faced each other in the 2009 New York State Class A championship game with Triche?s Jamesville-DeWitt squad out-lasting Peekskill High in overtime.

Who's hot
Syracuse junior Wes Johnson scored 34 points on 12-for-23 shooting in the Orange?s exhibition loss against LeMoyne last week. He was a perfect 7-for-7 at the free throw line.

Matchups
Position Albany Syracuse
Prime matchup: Small forward

3-Will Harris
Sr., 6-5, 230

They have high expectations for him. He?s an athletic wing who can really stroke it.

4-Wes Johnson
Jr., 6-7, 205

So much is expected of Johnson. He?ll have to provide points, rebounds and defense for the Orange this season.
Point
guard

10-Mike Black
Fr., 6-0, 175

A steady guard. Not very aggressive. A freshman who?s trying to find his fit in their system.

23-Brandon Triche
Fr., 6-4, 198

Triche isn?t as fast or athletic as Jonny Flynn, but he?s bigger and will focus on distributing the ball.

Shooting guard 23-Tim Ambrose
Jr., 6-0, 220

He?s a big part of what they?re going to do this year. A strong, athletic guard who can get into the paint.

1-Andy Rautins
Sr., 6-4, 195

Rautins is known as a shooter, but his defense is under-valued. Flynn led the Rautins had 52 steals last year.

Power forward

4-Fran Urli
Jr., 6-8, 225

A JUCO transfer who?s really good. He?s skilled in the post. Pretty strong body. Nice back-to-the-basket moves.

00-Rick Jackson
Jr., 6-9, 240

Jackson averaged 9.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 blocks as a starter last season. He could take another step up this year.
Center

54-Brett Gifford
Sr., 6-11, 265

He?s a big guy who can be a non-factor. He?s got size. He?ll help the most by rebounding and setting screens.

21-Arinze Onuaku
Sr., 6-9, 261

So much depends on Onuaku?s health. Can his knees hold up for an entire season?

Albany bench

Logan Aronhalt will play a lot off the bench. He?s a guard/forward who gives them a steady guy. Blake Metcalf is a 6-9 freshman who?s pretty skilled. He can shoot threes. Louis Barrazza can shoot it from behind the arc. Hits open shots.

An assistant coach familiar with Albany provided the rundown on the Great Danes? starters and bench.

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
maybe a couple points against FIU and Cuse from what you have due to their exhibition losses. Would think those are in the neighborhood though. Curious on the totals of some of these.

Unreal that the season is here, but bring on the round ball.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=AD1><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR class=AD1><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>North Carolina 152</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=AD2><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR class=AD2><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>California 140'</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=AD1><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle rowSpan=2></TD></TR><TR class=AD1><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>