my theory for monday and beyond.....

wisher4

Forum Member
Mar 9, 2001
canada
wud like people to respond to my theory cuz im unsure how valid it is!
my theory is to take the unders across the board for the next 3-4 days due to the extra rest the pitcher, relievers ,and closers have gotten
plus the batters have not seen a real pitch in almost a week itll take them a while to start connecting like they should
wud love some responses

phoenix566

Cannabis Sativa
Forum Member
Jun 20, 2001
inside your head
tend to agree, but totals at least for mon have been set pretty low thanx to the 'on paper' pitching duels. personally I am going to stay away from totals and play small tomorrow to see how things start to pan out.

TORONTO-VIGILANTE

ad interim...
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
"...Quo fas et gloria ducunt..."
extra rest is nice for the pitchers, but what if they can't hit their spots and their location is erratic...???

If batters were hitting the ball out of the parks during the regular season, i'm sure there will be one or two games that will go "over" tomorrow even after an extended lay-off...

Here's another thing...my brain is itching about the over in Colorado/Arizona: 10.5

Never Caught Up

Forum Member
Apr 17, 2001
My personal feeling is that your theory makes a measure of sense if combined with other sound handicapping methods.

I also have a theory that tomorrow is not a day to be looking at away teams. My justification, in part, is just a gut feeling, but I think a strong case could be made for the mental and psychological advantages the home teams may have in this unique situation.

wisher4

Forum Member
Mar 9, 2001
canada
wow have not thought about that factor never caught up!! very insightful! the psychological factor is a fact we should all think about

W

wondo

NCU, there is a strong case that can be made for your 'psychological' standpoint, however, I feel that once players step between the lines, all is forgotten and they go to battle against each other. That's why so many argued to play some games this weekend -- because what happens in sports does restore a sense of normalcy to life. I think that a case could be made for this reason towards the unders in most games. I for one, will not play these, but I would guess that most games will go under across the board. I think players will be extremely focused on the task at hand. As we all know, good pitching beats good hitting everyday of the week, and I think we may see a similarity to playoff intensity in these first few games. Just my opinion....could argue either side. good luck to all.

I

Investment Executive

Phillies get ready for Braves

The intensity is coming back, slowly but surely. The series opens tomorrow night here.

By Bob Brookover
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Phillies played a game yesterday at Veterans Stadium.

Home-plate-umpire Larry Bowa missed a few calls and resisted the temptation to eject himself. Manager Larry Bowa used four of his starting pitchers and his entire bullpen.

Business as usual on a bright sunny day at the ballpark?

Of course not.

This was a simulated game after batting practice with the intention of giving the well-rested pitching staff some much-needed work before this season that will never be the same resumes tomorrow night with a 7:05 game against the Atlanta Braves.

"I don't think this season will ever be the same," third baseman Scott Rolen said. "I don't think anybody wants it to be the same."

When the Phillies left Montreal a week ago today, they greatly anticipated a three-game series in Atlanta. They talked about the importance of that series with the first-place Braves. For most of them, it was the first time in their lives that they still were in a divisional race this late in the season.

Then, they went to Atlanta and the world turned upside down. Baseball was put on hold for a week while the country mourned the loss of thousands of lives caused by Tuesday's terrorist attacks.

No games were played in Atlanta or Cincinnati, the city where the Phillies traveled to Thursday night before flying home Friday. Not much thought was given to baseball over the last five days. The big series with the Braves wasn't even an afterthought.

"It hasn't even come up," centerfielder Doug Glanville said. "Nobody even talked about the Braves. It's weird. It was probably even more strange when we had those practices at Turner Field. The stadium was empty. Nobody was sure about anything."

Now, we know that the season will resume and the Phillies still have 19 games left to close Atlanta's 31/2-game lead in the National League East. That, of course, is not all the Phillies have to overcome in the coming days.

They must also figure out a way to regain the intensity that was with them a week ago. They must recover from the weeklong layoff and they must deal with their own mental anguish caused by Tuesday's tragedies.

Even the veteran Braves admit it won't be easy.

"I'd rather have a series coming out of gate not against the Phillies, so we can get our legs back under us," Braves third baseman Chipper Jones said. "Whatever team can focus the fastest will get the jump on the other."

There were indications at yesterday's workout that the intensity is returning for some Phillies. Reliever Dennis Cook hurled his glove behind second base when he had trouble throwing strikes during his one simulated inning. Reliever Ricky Bottalico uttered an obscenity when he had a similar problem.

"I think once you step out on the field, I think your intensity will come back," Bowa said.

"I've seen a difference in the three workouts we've had. I think each day has been a healing period. They're doing as good as they can."

Second baseman Marlon Anderson said Tuesday's events could ultimately relieve some of the pressure of playing in this series with the Braves.

"Even though it is a very important series, being able to deal with the emotions of what just happened, then going out and playing this kind of series could take some pressure off," Anderson said. "You know it's not as dire a situation as you may have thought it was a week ago. You understand that playing baseball isn't that important."

Anderson said there shouldn't be any problem regaining intensity.

"I think it's just a natural competitive instinct that you want to win," he said.

The layoff will probably have its greatest effect on the pitchers.

"It's tough because you lose a little feel for the hitters in the box," Brandon Duckworth said. "But it's like riding a bike. You just get back up and go. It's been seven days since I've even seen hitters and 10 days since I've thrown to them. But this [yesterday's simulated game] helps. I think it benefits the hitters and the pitchers."

The layoff has allowed Atlanta manager Bobby Cox to set up his rotation as if the season were just beginning. The Braves will pitch Greg Maddux tomorrow against Robert Person, Tom Glavine on Tuesday against Duckworth, John Burkett on Wednesday against David Coggin and Kevin Millwood on Thursday against Randy Wolf.

The only pitcher who didn't throw in yesterday's simulated game was Person.

"There's nothing you can do about that," Bowa said. "He's pitching Monday. He threw on the side a few days ago."

We are about to enter a new week and, for what it's worth, baseball will resume.

"Any time there is a tragedy like that, you put baseball on the back burner," Bowa said. "But the fact remains that we have seven games left against Atlanta."

And since they're playing them, rest assured that both teams will try to win them.

TexasBC6

Forum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Austin, TX
Extra rest for the pitchers means extra rest for the hitters as well. That could come into play considering it is this late in the season and some guys were probably starting to get worn down.

jderrida

Forum Member
Sep 11, 2001
NV, USA
While I am new here, I would tend to agree that the UND across the board seems to be more likely. Also, as the season tends to close, UND plays are more likely in general, in my experience, since teams are looking at sustaining their defense towards potential postseason games, but I am going to watch for at least a week in all sports before wandering out there into the betting mine fields. I would like to see how the extra rest for both offesense and defense factors into the extreme psychological variances found in teams and their players respectively.

Good luck board...See you in a week.

JD

AM2kidz

Forum Member
Oct 9, 2000
Brandon FL
I'm with ya Phoenix... there are way too many factors you can put into capping todays games.... My advice is to just keep your plays small until we can see how each team reacts to the emotional roller coaster that has affected all of us... Good luck to all... AM2kidz...

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
i would lean under also as bullpens are rested,etc but these totals seem to be right, there are some very low totals and while 70 mph is a bad substitute for pitching, there is litle margin for error with a number of only 7 1/2. too many question marks in my opinion. sticking small with la/zona parlay. good luck

Bet on MyBookie