Namath Undergoing Counseling for Alcohol Abuse

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
BRISTOL, Conn. (Jan. 22) -- Joe Namath is undergoing counseling for alcohol abuse a month after a television interview in which he slurred his words and twice told a sideline reporter he wanted to kiss her.

"Well, I've enrolled, or I've gone into a center, and I'm getting personal help there," the Hall of Fame quarterback told ESPN in an interview to be aired Sunday. "Yeah, these people are experts and we need to talk."

In an interview during a New England Patriots-New York Jets game in December, Namath appeared intoxicated when he twice told ESPN reporter Suzy Kolber he wanted to kiss her. Namath subsequently apologized to Kolber.

Namath said he had been drinking for several hours prior to kickoff.

"We had been going since 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and I did the wrong thing," he said. "I'm very disappointed with my behavior, because of how I've embarrassed my family, and the people that I work with and my friends and all.

"But, hey, worse things have happened. And, thank God I'm healthy, and we'll move on, and we'll make it better."

Namath added that "every time that something in my life has gone askew, alcohol has been involved."

Namath said he has not seen a tape of the interview with Kolber and doesn't intend to.

"That was the wake-up call," Namath said. "Even before that, I said, 'Yeah, I'm going to stop, I'm going to stop.

But he would always resume drinking, Namath explained, hopeful that this time he can become alcohol free.

"It's just something I cannot handle, and it's history," Namath said.

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
I'm pretty sure he made "the gaurantee" while drinking at a bar.

loophole

Forum Member
Jul 14, 1999
nc
evidently joe got his balls slapped when he got home after the game that night. bet he didn't even get kissed either.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg