NASCAR - The Napa Auto Parts 500 at California

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Race 10 out of 36
at California Speedway - 2.00 mile D shaped oval - 250 laps for 500 miles

This Week's Schedule: (All times Eastern)
Friday, April 26th
2:20PM - 4:20PM Practice
6:05PM - Qualifying (two laps, all positions)

Saturday, April 27th
11:30AM - 12:15PM First Winston Cup Practice - 45 Minutes
2:15PM - 3:00PM Happy Hour Practice - 45 Minutes

Sunday, April 28st
3:00PM Start of the NAPA Auto Parts 500

Back to a relatively new track this week, with the 6th annual race at California Speedway. I will be fortunate enough to attend this weekend's festivities, therefore I'm hoping to not just have the winner below in "Drivers To Watch", but the winner on an actual wagering ticket. That would be nice.

The early drivers to watch:
2 R. Wallace -
Rusty is still sitting up there close to the top spot in the standings somehow. He's the defending champion of this race and a Penske driver. He will look to give his owner the 3rd straight win for him at the track he built.
6 M. Martin -
He was up there running well last week before getting caught up in the debris. Hasn't had great finishes here since his win there in 1998, but his current form suggests he will be near the front this weekend.
8 D. Earnhardt, Jr. -
Something we already know.....Jr. will be fast. Finished 3rd last year and recently completed a test at Michigan preparing for this race. 2 in a row is a possibility.
12 R. Newman -
Wow! Can someone on this team build an engine that can last the race? Brutal luck. However, this team has had AWESOME runs here with Mayfield behind the wheel. If the engine holds up, he can very easily get his first win.
17 M. Kenseth -
Another great run last week before the wreck. He's my top driver this week and will be wagered on to win this race. It will be an ugly day if this car sits doesn't end up in the top 5.
18 B. Labonte -
Another casualty of the "big one" last week, although he wasn't that impressive. Has a 2nd and a 3rd here in the last 3 years, and should be in the top 10 with any luck.
19 J. Mayfield -
It's obvious that if Mayfield could run California and Pocono over and over again, he would contend for the title. Different team, different car this year, so we'll have to see how the practices go. But the odds for him winning again are very attractive.
20 T. Stewart -
Just when Tony is ready to attack the top 3 in the standings, he manages a bad finish. He won't have a bad finish this week. Top 5 at the least.
24 J. Gordon -
Just like last week with the 8 car, this is the car I will need to beat. Finishes of 2, 11, 1, 4, 1 in the previous 5 races here make that perfectly obvious.
28 R. Rudd -
Still gaining that momentum. 2 good finishes here the last two years as well. Keep an eye out for him.
40 S. Marlin -
Sneaked into a top 5 with the 98 car being penalized. He will not have to sneak into anything this week, as he is my #2 contender. Amazing how my #1 and #2 guys are #2 and #1 in the standings.
41 J. Spencer -
One of my longshot drivers I will be watching. I just think the 40 team can help them here, and Spencer has had good runs here in the past.
48 J. Johnson -
Either him or Newman will win a race in the next 4 I believe....current form suggests this team.
88 D. Jarrett -
Nice run for this team last week. Unless I can get 15-1 or better, I won't include him, but he can definately put a nice run together.
97 K. Busch -
If this kid could have gotten ANY HELP whatsover.......well, he would have finished 2nd at least. Great run last week. Basically, it's all about this simple equation. Gas Mileage+California=Roush.
99 J. Burton -
Another Roush driver to look at this week. Good runs here in the past and very steady so far this year.

At this point, I'm really looking at the Jack Roush drivers this week. They all have very nice odds and will all be a factor IMO. Also looking at the 12 (30-1 or better), 40 (10-1 or better) and the 20 (8-1 or better ). Depending on how the 19 runs in practices, I may include him also. 24 is simply going to have to be happy with his top 5.

I will most likely gamble with gualifying this week, hoping these guys don't start near the front. 6 and 12 are the only ones for me to consider before Q. 20 also has q'd well here, so it depends on what I can find.

Any input and opinions?
GLTA

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Good for you Huck, Wish I was going with you to the race. I think you may have good idea about the Roush boys. And yes JR will be fast. Two in a row is tough but you never know. He seems to be getting some patients with his other skills. And we know he has good equipment. Will have to watch those practice times.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
DJV......Really tempted on the 8 car at +1000, but he hasn't Q'd here well at all........his test could change that though, but I'll take my chances and hope he ends up in the 20's or higher.

I am on a few guys to win early as I anticipate them qualifying pretty good.

ODDS TO WIN:
12 R. Newman +3300 1unit
6 M. Martin +2500 1unit
48 J. Johnson +3500 ?unit (probably won't win, but should strart up front so +3500 is great value IMO)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Huck I can't believe how darn good this bunch of young guys are. Even J Gordon is only 31. They got could equipment and know how to use it. It has added even more attention to Nascar. Even Kenseth & Jr are what 25 or 26.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
You are soooo right.....

You are soooo right.....

Before Jarrett pulled off that 3rd place lap, it really was incredible to see these "kids" all up there. Newman, Johnson, Busch, Nadeau, Sadler, Stewart and Jr..........but like you said DJV, they all have the equipment.
Bottom line is teams with new cars are not going to want to invest in a driver that has "been around the block" so to speak. They understand that there will be some growing pains at first (although I don't see any with the 48 just yet) and they are willing to deal with that for results down the road.
And yes! Gordon is only 31.......he's been so good so early. Speaking of that, just watched the 1993 Daytona 500 (Gordon's first one). Of course, he was running up front pretty much all day. Just incredible.........sorry DJV, you got me going. I'll stop rambling now.
;)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Myron

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hamilton, Ontario
3 play parlay at Bet365 (2 units to win 8 units)

Jarrett -130 over Marlin
Stewart -150 over Mayfield
Martin -150 over Elliot

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Myron that looks very interesting. Only one I hope hangs in there is Jarrett. He's due has had his tough luck. Im going to give this one a try to. GL.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Welcome from sunny Fontana.....

Welcome from sunny Fontana.....

NOT! It's like 50 degrees here this weekend......unreal my luck with races and the weather. Anyhow, being on the road makes it tough to shop around, so I'm not playing much this weekend.

I ended up w/ the following:
ODDS TO WIN:
The earlier plays on the 6, 12, and 48.
17 To Win +1600 2units
40 To Win +1500 2units

I'm leaving out a ton of good cars obviously, but I just haven't had the time that I want to properly cap this race, so I'm just leaving it at that in my win index.

MATCHUPS:
17 ov 88 +127 3units
17 ov 19 -125 4units
40 ov 18 -140 3units
20 ov 88 -115 4units
20 ov 24 -113 3units

GLTA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Huck lets see just over 120 thousand there. I will look for you in the crowd. Ya :D :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Myron that' ok there will be next week. Had just as much fun with that parlay as i do with FB.
Huck good call on Johnson. Had just a tad there myself helped the day along some. Great pit call gas and go. But that's what you need everyone thinking.

Myron

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2001
Hamilton, Ontario
If you can find someone offering pole position odds on the Pontiac Excitement 400, grab Jeff Gordon. He has poles in both short track races this year as well as the last race at Richmond in 2001.

To win the race, I'm willing to post up with the first book willing to give me 8-1 or better on Tony Stewart :p

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Myron, thks for heads up on Gordon. That's a good idea. They seem to have right car for these type of tracks.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Sorry, for this late "recap" post, but I just got back from the race this morning. (Had to take in some sights while in CA, ya know?)
Anyway, the weekend could have been MUCH better that's for sure, but I guess I'll take it. The results were not bad because of the winner on 48, but I'm not pleased with how everything shook out handicapping wise. Really was way off with how the 17 and 20 would do.

ODDS TO WIN:
Busch Series/Week: 0-3 -2.5units
Winston Cup/Week: 1-4 +12units
Overall Week: 1-7 +9.5units
Overall Year: 1-21 -17.5units

MATCHUPS:
Busch Series/Week: 3-3 +0.7units
Winston Cup/Week: 2-3 -2.84units
Overall Week: 5-6 -2.14units
Year: 20-12 +37.11units

Yearly Combined: +19.61Units