NASCAR - The Tropicana 400 at CHICAGOLAND

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Making an early play to win the race. He should start in the top 5 and is one of the veterans who will be heard from.

ODDS TO WIN
9 B. Elliott +3000 1 unit

Will update record and have the weekly write-up sometime tomorrow.

GLTA

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
A fellow nascar enthusiast at anothe board made me look at the 12 car much closer than I had to this point. After doing so, I decided NOT to wait until after qualifying to bet him.
With efforts like a 2nd at Vegas, 2nd at Atlanta, 1st at California, 4th at Charlotte, and 6th at Michigan (all somewhat similar tracks), it seems more likely for him to repeat one of those performances rather than the 36th place effort at Texas. I will thank you in advance Cat.

BTW.....I am also seriously considering a play on Dave Blaney in the 77. Okay, you can stop laughing now. ;) Of course, this play goes further than just his 2nd place finish here last year, but rather is based upon a combination of the car/team and driver. Robert Pressley drove the 77 last year to 2 great finishes at the first years tracks (Chicago/Kansas). In addition, Dave Blaney in the 93 car also had himself a few nice finishes at both tracks. Throw in the fact that the 77 seems to be running in the top 10 quite a lot recently, and all of sudden 70-1 seems very inviting. This team is also well known for serious pit strategy often getting them to or very near the front when it matters. While that strategy hasn't gotten this team a win yet, the right price here should be no higher than 40-1 IMO. Will have to mull this one over in the next few days.

ODDS TO WIN
9 B. Elliott +3000 1 unit
12 R. Newman +1500 2 units

GLTA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Myron...as I stated, I looked around and did not find better. I am sure that somewhere out there where I do not happen to have an account, there is better than 15-1. Thanks though.

Ok....I apologize. Re-reading my post, I did not state that I "looked around", but I always look at every out I have before making a wager.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Race 18 out of 36
at Chicagoland Speedway - 1.5 mile Tri-Oval - 267 laps for 400 miles.

This Week's Schedule: (All times Eastern)

Friday, July 12th
12:20 p.m. Winston Cup 1st Practice (scheduled for 2 hours)
4:05 p.m. Winston Cup Qualifying

Saturday, July 13th
10:30 a.m. Winston Cup 2nd Practice (scheduled for 45 minutes)
12:15 p.m. Winston Cup Happy Hour Practice (scheduled for 45 minutes)

Sunday, July 14th
2:30 p.m. Start of the Tropicana 400 (NBC)

We've gotten off to a nice start talking about this race so far, so I'll try and keep it short. This is the 2nd visit to Chicagoland so falling back on track history isn't possible. As Hartley already mentioned, there are similar tracks to Chicago, but nothing exact in terms of the banking. Drivers like to compare Chicago to a Las Vegas, Texas, Atlanta, and other 1.5 mile tracks so capping this race is going to come from taking a bit from all those venues and really listening to what the drivers have to say about the track's condition now that it's been a year since they last visited.

The early drivers to watch:
2 R. Wallace -
It took some 20 years, but Rusty finally got his best Daytona finish. Rusty's amazing consistency this year makes him very attractive in matchups, but it's still going to take in the 20-25 to 1 range in order for me to bet him to win. He hasn't led many laps at all, but has finished real well.
6 M. Martin -
Same 'ole for this team. Will continue to back him every week until he shows me otherwise. He will, once again, be a contender for the win here.
8 D. Earnhardt, Jr. -
Should the 8 have been happy with his 2nd place finish last week? Not IMO. However, he should have know that it was unlikely for anyone to go and help him. As far as this week goes, the question is whether Jr. and his team will revert back to the atrocious finishes they were racking up before Daytona. I will personally wait and see instead of trying to figure it out.
9 B. Elliott -
Have already made a play on the 9 as I really believe that he will be right in the mix all race long. He qualifies great at tracks like this, so 30-1 was a must play for me.
12 R. Newman -
Another pre-qualiyfing wager has been made on Mr. Newman. Same deal as every week for this guy, as we all know he should be fast, should be overly aggressive, and should be around the top 10. It's all about some luck now, as this team will win a race before the year is over.
15 M. Waltrip -
Going to have to keep looking at this team every week now. Sure last week was no surprise, but they really seem to have turned the corner.
17 M. Kenseth -
35th or 3rd. All or nothing for this team. I'm going to guess on the "all" this week, as I really believe this is a track that suits him and the team very well. Not really a good qualifier, so I'll wait to play him.
18 B. Labonte -
This is the last week I will be bothering to include this team in the weekly write-up. It's going to take a top-10 finish for him to stay among this "elite" group.
20 T. Stewart -
Boy does Daytona hate this team! Same thing happened last year, and Tony did not begin his 2nd half roll until AFTER Chicago, as he only managed a 33rd place finish. He, like the 24, is a contender at practically every race, but I just don't have any confidence in the 20 this week.
24 J. Gordon -
I think I'll just keep talking him up like he's going to win every race from now until Homestead. Hopefully that will work against him, and he won't, because I will be leaving him out again this week.
28 R. Rudd -
Here's another one of the veterans that I really like this week. Rudd needs to announce his plans for next year, so they can all concentrate on winning races the 2nd half. If Rudds announces he's staying, I will make a strong play on him this weekend.
40 S. Marlin -
Sterling really needed that 3rd place finish last week, and even more so, really needs to back it up this week. I don't take too much stock in a good finish at Daytona as far as a momentum builder, but I will be looking closely at him this week nevertheless.
48 J. Johnson -
This is a team that should be really competetive this weekend. The odds of 8-1 currently are not was I was looking for, so I just hope that he misses on his qualifying setup in order to get something decent. Regardless though, he will be included no matter what. This team has done exceptionally well on these type of tracks this year.
88 D. Jarrett -
A possible contender this weekend, but I seriously doubt I'll include him at the odds that are out there now.
97 K. Busch -
I'm going to have to look for an audio link of what he said over the radio in order to warrant a 3 LAP penalty last week...this kid must have snapped. I think he will take that embarrassment and turn it into a positive, as I like this team to contend this weekend.
99 J. Burton -
Not very impressed with the 99 for this week, but he's always someone who can surprise with a nice top 5 here and there.

A few other drivers to watch IMO, are the 26 of Todd Bodine, the 41 of Jimmy Spencer, and the 77 of Dave Blaney. Bodine is in a different car than the one he won the pole with last year, but it is the car that sat next to him on the front row. Possible qualifying wagers along with race matchups if they show anything like they did last year here. Jimmy Spencer on the other hand, moves from the 26 he drove here last year to the 41, who clipped off a pole run at Kansas in this car. I will be watching. I've already mentioned my feelings on the 77, but he really is a car that I will look to include in matchups and have win bet on.

Any input and opinions?
GLTA

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
One early play in the Busch race also at Chicagoland. This is the same car that went to victory lane last year, and I'm very impressed with the way this team/car is running right now.

There are a number of cars that will be tough to beat, but this wager offers great value IMO.

ODDS TO WIN BUSCH RACE
92 T. Bodine +1500 2 units

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Time for a few qualifying wagers:

Time for a few qualifying wagers:

QUALIFYING MATCHUPS
28 ov 20 -125 4 units
8 ov 6 -125 4 units
9 ov 32 -130 3 units
31 ov 1 -110 3 units
9 ov 6 -145 4 units
8 ov 18 -145 3 units
00 (Nadeau) ov 4 -115 7 units (biggest Q play so far. Love the info given after they tested there)
30 ov 97 +170 2 units (crazy price, and hoping that the 29's tire info pans out)
31 ov 55 -115 3 units

More than my fair share of qualifying wagers for this race. There has been a lot of available information concerning who tested and who didn't, and combined with the qualifying efforts at this track and ones like it, I believe that this is an opportunity to add to the bankroll.

I'm sorry......but looking over my plays this morning, I noticed I typed in the wrong Gibbs driver against the 28 car. It's the right matchup now. 28 ov 20 is the correct one.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Amazing that the 4 car, having to wait for a 3rd crack at setting a time, improves his best practice lap by 5 tenths of a second. That ruined a perfectly good qualifying day (15 units swing):(

However, the drivers bet early are in a real good position right now, starting 1st and 3rd, so I'll take the good w/ the bad I suppose. Also, the early Busch play is on that pole too!

QUALIFYING RECAP:
6-3 +4.95 units

BTW....there are some really good cars starting in the back. That's a good thing as well.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
A fellow poster brought up the 25 car driven by Joe Nemechek. This is the same car that was sooo good last year w/ Nadeau behind the wheel, and while I honestly think there is more going against this team than there is good, I have to play something on Nemechek. He has shown us that he can get around this track very well (fast in his 87 Busch car too), therefore, it's time to do something I'm sure I have NEVER done before.

ODDS TO WIN BUSCH SERIES
87 J. Nemechek +1000 1.5 units

ODDS TO WIN
25 J. Nemechek +5500 .4 units

The "Front Row Joe" double!

GLTA

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
FYI: 97 blew his engine in the first practice and will be starting in the rear of the field. He should still be good, but it's going to take a ton of patience.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Going light for this Busch race today. I'm staying w/ 92 and 87 to win, although it really is going to be tough dealing with the 9, 21, 60 to name a few.

As far as matchups go, I betting a few, but not for much.

MATCHUPS BUSCH SERIES
9 J. Burton ov 21 J. Green -115 2 units
24 J. Sprague ov 7 R. Lajoie -130 2 units
18 M. Mcglaughlin ov 26 R. Hornaday 2 units
57 Keller ov 10 Riggs +105 2 units
87 Nemechek ov 25 Hamilton, Jr. Even 2 units

GL everyone!

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
Had to take advantage of some outlandish prices here.

ODDS TO WIN
28 R. Rudd +2500 1.5 units
48 J. Johnson +3000 1 unit
8 D. Earnhardt, Jr. +1400 2 units

Be back later.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Big Kev

Forum Member
May 6, 2002
Front Row Joe

Front Row Joe

Nemechek...........10 To Win 133 For Show
Nemechek...........10 To Win 300 For Place
Nemechek...........10 To Win 600 For WIN

These Are With A Local Book

Practiced On Saturday Real Well Again Both In The Morning Session And The Afternoon Session !! Starting 10th.......Has A Fast Car And I Think Seriously Will Contend In This Race !!

GOOD LUCK

:)

ChuckyTheGoat

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2000
I'm basically a follower in Auto Racing. You guys know your stuff. I don't follow it closely enough to really see good selections. That said, one nice thing about Nascar betting is that the lines vary a lot. If you do a little shopping, you can find good potential value. So my personal Nascar approach is more of an efficiency of markets approach. ie, if I can find a matchup dog where the avg "to win" odds are EVEN or better than the matchup fav, I'll normally take the dog and try my chances. Two I'll try for Sunday:
Jeff Gordon(+127) vs Stewart (pin)
Martin(+110) vs Busch

Also, any reason for Rusty Wallace to be 35/1 at pin? Worth a flyer?

GL, boys.

Huckleberry

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
Nevada
That's as good a way as any to play this Chucky.......GL to you tomorrow.....oh, about Rusty. 35-1 does offer some value...no doubt there. But he was very unsatisfied with his car today, as they were stuggling to find any kind of balance, which translated into poor lap times. He's running well this year though, so yeah.....it's worth a flyer at that price IMO.

I've also been attacking the matchups out there. Some seem too easy, which is never good. But here goes.

MATCHUPS
6 ov 97 +110 4 units: this one looks real funny. Know 97 will make his way to the front if he lasts, but +110 on a guy running in the top 5 almost every week???

15 ov 29 Even 3 units: simply a current form wager. Don't care what 29 did here last year.

28 ov 2 -115 4 units: just like the 28 this week to come from the back. Rusty hated his car today, but I think he's sandbagging. It will be close, but 28 will contend for the win.

8 ov 2 -125 5 units: 8 just looks too good and -125 is pretty cheap. His poor runs lately are a concern, or I would play this for more.

48 ov 6 +160 2 units: 48 will be okay. The price here should be +130 at the most.

99 ov 18 -115 5 units: If 99 gets a top 20 finish, he should win this one fairly easily.

GL everyone.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ChuckyTheGoat

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2000
OK, thx, Huck. I'll pass on Rusty. Have enough other win bets.

GL w/ the race. And thx for the info.