Nedbank Challenge

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
A real horses for courses event with Ernie Els winning the last 2 and Nick Price the 2 before that.
At 4/1 1/4 1-2-3 (Surrey, Tote, Betsmart) Ernie looks a solid each way. Most Recent finishes first Win, Win, 6th, 2nd, 2nd

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Ian,
When did you get the 14/1 Nick Price at Coral? They were the only ones quoting on Friday and he was only 7/1 when looked. he is always worth an interest there.. recent finishes first 3rd, 7th, Win, Win, 3rd
He usually warms up in the Zimbabwe open but give it a miss last week.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Ian,
Were you looking at teletext instead of the website? I have noticed before that their skytext prices are often outdated.
Did you get any 14/1? Surely not.... are you 'sub-letting' if you did?

Clive,
Big Ern is always a bet to nothing here. I left him alone when he finished 6th (known bad back) but had his 2 wins and his 2 runner-ups - by one shot to Nick Price (holed a tricky 10ft down-hiller on the last) and to Monty in a play-off. The only niggling worry is that he play OZ last week instead of resting.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

nomad

Forum Member
May 9, 2001
UK
Soaking rain at Sun City on Monday bedeviled preparation for the Nedbank Golf Challenge which tees off over the Gary Player Country Club course on Thursday.

Members of the star-studded field arrived to find the resort under heavy cloud and being soaked by a severe downpour ? making practice impossible and robbing the course staff of the sunshine they needed to bring their cultured lawns to their best condition.

The rain will not only mean that the course will play extremely long but also brought in the possibility that rules officials may have to allow placing.

Veteran rules official Dennis Bruyns, who has set up the Nedbank Challenge course for a number of years now, said he was loath to resort to placing but was worried that he might have his hand forced.

?As good as the course is ? and it?s excellent ? the fact that with the fairways trimmed to provide clean lies the soil is very close to the surface and the probability of balls pitching and picking up blobs of mud is very high.

?With the clinging red soil we have up here we may therefore be forced to institute placing to allow players to pick up and clean balls that have become muddied,? said Bruyns.

The amount of rain that has fallen will also in all likelihood result in the imbedded ball rule being in place; whether there is placing or not.

An additional concern for the organisers is that the long-range weather forecast is for more rain.

nomad

Forum Member
May 9, 2001
UK
EASTERN NORTHWEST PROVINCE (RUSTENBURG KLERKSDORP AREA)
26 16/32 Cloudy with scattered thundershowers (40%)
Wind: Light northwest
27 15/31 Cloudy becoming partly cloudy with scattered thundershowers (40%)
Wind: Moderate east
28 14/31 Partly cloudy with isolated thunderhoswers (20%)
Wind: Moderate northwest
29 16/30 Partly cloudy
30 16/29 Partly cloudy
01 14/32 Partly cloudy with isolated thundershowers (20%)
02 18/30 Partly cloudy with isolated thundershowers (30%)
Wind: Moderate northeast

efgee

Forum Member
May 20, 2001
Sydney, australia
Thanks Nomad, some really interesting information you posted.

Being South African and having followed this tournament for so many years, I would just like to make a few observations.

Firstly, although the course has been lengthened in the past long hitters have had little advantage. Past winners Price,Pavin and Frost examples of this. Accuracy off the tee is what is really vital.

Secondly, for the South African golfers the crowd support and expectation to do well can often turn out to be a big negative, Ernie often complained that he would put too much pressure on himself, and while he is a two time winner I do think Goosen will struggle playing back home again.

Finally, although not a major playing for $2 million dollars takes plenty of nerve.Golfers like Furyk, Harrington, Bjorn and Clarke will surely feel the heat if in contention come the back nine on Sunday. Last year Thomas Bjorn was leading after 10 holes, but could'nt handle the pressure.
Some of Ernie's comments after last years win clearly show how so much money can get to one of golfs wealthiest, "It was probably the most nervous I have ever been. I can probably state that. I have got a lot of respect for Peter Thompson, but I would like to see Peter Thompson?s nerves playing for 2 million dollars. You cannot but think about it. I am sorry, it is just the way it is."

A few of my colleagues will be at Sun City from Tuesday, I will post the Pro-Am scores and any other interesting facts from the course early Thursday morning(UK time).

Colin Montgomerie will be last to arrive, coming in from the US Tuesday evening, not a great way to prepare for the event.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
I didn't participate.. but noticed several bookies were quoting on a 'who finishes last' at Sun City.
Now that Furyk is disqualified, who is the last player? Furyk or the player who completes with the worst score?

Ian

Forum Member
Sep 18, 2000
Exeter UK
www.sportsbettingindex.com
Wish I hadn't bothered - you can have some of my 14/1 Price now Bettingmad
wink.gif

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

nomad

Forum Member
May 9, 2001
UK
I'm glad you raised the point bettingmad about 'who finishes last' because I'm on Clarke and initially I thought I was beaten but on thinking about it now I'm not so sure.

Disqualification means that you cease to be a runner in the event and do not attain any placing in the field whatsoever at it's conclusion. (NB - The official Nedbank site does not have a listing for a 'Jim Furyk' and only has a field of 11 runners)

Of course I will only know on Monday when I check the settling, I'll let you know the outcome.

Any other views would be appreciated (pos. or neg.) as I always like to know where I may have a blind spot due to the vested interest.

[This message has been edited by nomad (edited 12-01-2001).]

bettingmad

Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
Yorkshire, UK
www.bettingmad.com
Nomad,
Who did you place the bet with?
If I were you I would email them before the event finishes to ask them how they are ruling.... I must be cynical.... but in cases like this I would rather have a ruling BEFORE they have the result and can see how much a ruling either way will cost them... ..although in this case Clarke is some way adrift. I have emailed Surrey to see what they say and will let you know their answer later.