Need a big but cheap tv, when to buy?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

patlives

Forum Member
Mar 24, 2000
Big Mo
Missed a couple on Black Friday. I have read many places that the best time to buy a tv is the week prior to the superbowl. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I am looking for a 42" and above could be Plasma, LCD, or Rear projection LCD. Thank you for your help.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Mully

Is Blessed
Forum Member
Nov 7, 2004

good call...

also check out overstock.com

Got me a nice 52 inch Hitachi delivered and all last year a week before March Maddness for $500 bucks cheaper than Best Buy had in their add the same week.

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
NEW PANNY INSTALL REBATE GOOD FROM 12/08/07 - 1/31/08 LINK
Thanks to ginorin for pointing this out.

FW receipt, showing discounts

What most people are doing is buying a TV just over $999, getting $600 off the TV price by buying accessories, then returning/cancelling the accessories and install. This results in a $1000 TV costing $399.

Hot Deals January 6th to January 12th 2008 Edition
32" Sony 720P LCD $499
42" Philips 1080P LCD with Ambilight $799

ULTIMATE BF FATWALLET CHALLENGE:
Use the 10% off coupon on the 65" to take the price to $1350, use bonus $15 in rewardzone money, use HD Advantage deal, call it a gift (allows returns thru Jan 31st), and get the 65" 1080p TV for a mere $720.

It probably won't work for anyone, but maybe, if you've got an honest face and a spirit made of solid grit, you can get this deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:

1) Purchase any HDTV $999 and up - could be plasma, LCD, Rear Projection... (Multiple BB stores have demonstrated a willingness to increase TV's priced at $989 to $999 in order to make them eligible for the discounts)
2) Purchase a Direct TV HD reciever for $99 - Get a $300 discount on TV, cancel service a day later and return/sell HD receiver.
3) Have Best Buy install the tv (if Panasonic) for ~$200. - Get a $100 discount on TV. You only save if you are buying a Panasonic which has an additional $200 rebate for having it installed, otherwise don't choose installation, or cancel after purchase (YMMV).
4) Purchase a Home Theater System for $499 and up and get $100 off the tv - (This probably won't save you anything so I wouldn't do it), or again, return the stereo.
5) Purchase blu-ray or HD-DVD player - get $100 of the tv. (Again - this depends on whether you want one or not.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home

What most people are doing is buying a TV just over $999, getting $600 off the TV price by buying accessories, then returning/cancelling the accessories and install. This results in a $1000 TV costing $399.

32" Sony 720P LCD $499

Use the 10% off coupon on the 65" to take the price to $1350, use bonus $15 in rewardzone money, use HD Advantage deal, call it a gift (allows returns thru Jan 31st), and get the 65" 1080p TV for a mere $720.

It probably won't work for anyone, but maybe, if you've got an honest face and a spirit made of solid grit, you can get this deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:

1) Purchase any HDTV $999 and up - could be plasma, LCD, Rear Projection... (Multiple BB stores have demonstrated a willingness to increase TV's priced at $989 to $999 in order to make them eligible for the discounts)
2) Purchase a Direct TV HD reciever for $99 - Get a $300 discount on TV, cancel service a day later and return/sell HD receiver.
3) Have Best Buy install the tv (if Panasonic) for ~$200. - Get a $100 discount on TV. You only save if you are buying a Panasonic which has an additional $200 rebate for having it installed, otherwise don't choose installation, or cancel after purchase (YMMV).
4) Purchase a Home Theater System for $499 and up and get $100 off the tv - (This probably won't save you anything so I wouldn't do it), or again, return the stereo.
5) Purchase blu-ray or HD-DVD player - get $100 of the tv. (Again - this depends on whether you want one or not.
:dizzy:

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
yea, I know... a lot of info to take in.

it breaks down to paying $500 for a 1500 tv after you return all the other stuff.

there's an error in their price coding on tv discounts...when you return items, it is letting you keep the dicount off teh tv.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

YankeeBaseball

Forum Member
Sep 8, 2006
here check this out, i'll try to make this simple, if you have anyone in your family or one of your buddys who sells any type of electronics can go to this website called cyberscholer dot com. just register and tell the truth for all the questions and your in. i enrolled and all i had to do is take a short quiz on the tv i wanted and i 40% off all 3 of my sony tvs. crazy. the wife just bought a digital camera , you can order almost anything you want.

i didnt believe it at first but i just signed up and i was in heaven. have fun with this one

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LetsMakeMoney

~Gambla~
Forum Member
Mar 6, 2005
Sin City
Missed a couple on Black Friday. I have read many places that the best time to buy a tv is the week prior to the superbowl. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I am looking for a 42" and above could be Plasma, LCD, or Rear projection LCD. Thank you for your help.

ask knifle

hammer1

Forum Member
Jun 17, 2002
Wisconsin and Dorado Puerto Rico
Try Secondact.com their deal of the day is sometimnes a huge bargain.

or Tigerdirect.com

Both places sell refurbs but in my op they are better n new cuz they been gone over w a fine tooth comb.

also refurb depot but never bought any thing there

Jabberwocky

Forum Member
Mar 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

32" Sony 720P LCD $499

Instructions:

:00x12

Or you could shop around, find a good deal, and take it.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

justin22g

WAR EAGLE!
Forum Member
Sep 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

if you are wanting a good TV, stay away from rear projection. My boss bought a 52" and it is a POS.

I have also heard other horror stories.

Plus, Plasma and LCD look better.

my 2 cents