Need a little computer help ...........

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
I know I'm not the most computer knowledgeable guy, but I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while now.

I'm trying to somehow get a printout of my playlist of songs from my old napster program which are also in my rio program...can't figure out how to do that :shrug: no place I see to print, plus can't copy and paste into Word, it just doesn't work.

Seems simple enough, but any help would be very much appreciated!

-ndnfan

HighRoller

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2002
I do this for a living

I do this for a living

Are you trying to pull the list from NAPSTER or the RIO ?

I think I erased Napster...

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
either one will work......I have all the songs from napster transfered into my rio playlist. So doesn't matter to me.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Magic_01

Forum Member
Mar 21, 2002
Nebraska
if you just want to copy what is on the screen, just hold down ALT and push print screen, then copy it in a pitcher program.

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Thanks for the replies

I can use the Print Screen key on the keyboard, and paste that into Microsoft Word, but is this the only way to do this?? I have a playlist of over 1000 songs and was just wondering if there was an easy way to print out the entire list by copy and pasting it rather than doing like 50 print screen shots??

Anyone have any suggestions or am I stuck doing screen shots?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
ndnfan,

Boy, this questioned stumped me pretty good at first but I found a way you can do it.

First of all, if you have hundreds of files, this may be pretty time consuming but here goes:

You need to find the root directory of your Napster files (can't believe you still have that BTW) which should be loacated at this path:
C:/Program Files/Napster/My Shared Folder

It won't allow you to "paste" the name of the song into a Word doc without including the icon so what you have to do is right click on the song and choose properties. Then highlite the name of the song, right click & choose "copy" and then you can paste that into your Word doc.

If that is too much of a hassle, I think your only other option is to manually type each one in since you're dealing with executable files.

GL and let me know how that works for you.

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
Ha! Nevermind, I just saw your reply before mine and you noted that you had thousands of songs. Well bud, you're stuck I think but I'll keep checking for you.

:D

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
FM.....thanks for the replies, but yeah, I have over a thousand song files. Guess I'm trying to find an easy and quick way when there isn't any quick way to do this.

Fastest way so far is to do all those screen shots :confused: in which theres around 20 of the songs on each screen shot.

Keep me informed if you think of anything.....I'm really lazy when it comes to stuff like this!

Thanks

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ryson

Capitalist
Forum Member
Dec 22, 2001
IAH
go to a command (DOS) prompt -> cd to the dir where the songs are -> execute the "dir" command and redirect into a notepad file ie.:

C:\Program Files\Napster\My Shared Folder: dir /B >> songlist.txt

the /B arg will use the bare format and just give the file names

Last edited:

Hypatia

Forum Member
Jan 23, 2002
As another alternative, you could just right-click on the playlist file itself and chose Open With Word (You may have to click browse for program if it doesn't show Word as a default). My playlist file was stored in the Napster folder itself and had an extension of .m3u. The only thing I didn't like was that each song had the pathname in front of it...but at least no screen shots to deal with and it was quick and easy to do. Ryson's solution gives you a cleaner list.

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
ryson....thanks for your help....MUCH Appreciated!

Hypatia..thanks also!

You guys are why MJ's is such a great site. :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg