New DVD player

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
I had my old DVD player that I have had for about 2-3 yrs crap out on me the other day. So when I was grocery shopping at Costco I bought one that was full HD 1080i for $40. Wow, works awesome these things are getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better.

kneifl

The Boys

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 17, 2001
Royal Oak, Michigan, a Detroit Suburb
Funny you should mention Costco...........today I took an old IPod back.....had it for 3 years and it just died on me...........no receipt, no box got a new one with a bigger hard drive and $60 cash back...........oh I love this country. :00hour

Mags

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
I had my old DVD player that I have had for about 2-3 yrs crap out on me the other day. So when I was grocery shopping at Costco I bought one that was full HD 1080i for $40. Wow, works awesome these things are getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better.

kneifl

Not to nitpick, but to make sure you didn't get bad info from the sales person:

1. No DVD player produces HD output - they can upscale DVD output (which is typically 480p) to 1080i or 720p. It doesn't add definition per se, it just changes the output of the signal to match the TV.

2. The only disc system available that supplies true HD output are Blu Ray Systems (HD DVD did also before it's demise).

3. Full HD is 1080p, not 1080i.

I'm guessing your salesperson didn't really understand the technology (not surprising at warehouse stores)...

BUT it does sound like you got a good deal - the upconverting DVD players do a very nice job with DVD's!

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Not to nitpick, but to make sure you didn't get bad info from the sales person:

1. No DVD player produces HD output - they can upscale DVD output (which is typically 480p) to 1080i or 720p. It doesn't add definition per se, it just changes the output of the signal to match the TV.

2. The only disc system available that supplies true HD output are Blu Ray Systems (HD DVD did also before it's demise).

3. Full HD is 1080p, not 1080i.

I'm guessing your salesperson didn't really understand the technology (not surprising at warehouse stores)...

BUT it does sound like you got a good deal - the upconverting DVD players do a very nice job with DVD's!

the salesperson was that Rodgers guy from the Packers.

Bet on MyBookie