New Rule Changes

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

JT Sneaks

Sneaks
Forum Member
Nov 14, 2000
hoopstown
KC, has brought this up and I thought it deserves it's own thread.

So far if pre season is any indication, (and it usually isn't
smile.gif
) I agree with Kc and believe the new rule changes give an edge to the over.

In the first week of regular season games I will look for some totals to exploit, and more insight from the rest of you.

biggrin.gif
Sneaks

Roger

Forum Member
Oct 12, 1999
AUSTIN
If I'm correct in what I've heard and seen, the new rule changes are as follows:

1. Every defensive player in the key or the four feet extending past it must actively be guarding someone within three seconds or be called for a defensive three seconds violation.

2. The offensive team has eight seconds now instead of 10 to advance the ball past the midcourt line.

3. The hand-check guidelines have been changed to allow for incidental contact as long as it doesn't impede the offensive player.

I think these new changes will put more points on the board eventually, yes. But you still have to anticipate the lines being adjusted for that and wait and see how the first week or two turn out. Teams with athletic players, with quickness and sound ball control and shooting, will benefit more. I'm also not convinced that for some stronger defensive teams in the league that the new rule changes will make much difference. If anything, I'm thinking the under will be a strong play for at least the first month or so in a lot of games.

Depending of course where the total is set.
cool.gif

I look forward to more discussion regarding this topic from everyone else.

beertime

Forum Member
Aug 22, 2000
denver
this was at nba.com...

Rush on Rules Changes
The three rules changes that go into effect for the 2001-02 season will impact the game for its players, coaches and also the officials. No longer looking for illegal defenses, the officials will, however, keep their eyes open for:
Every defensive player in the key or the four feet extending past it must actively be guarding someone within three seconds or be called for a defensive three seconds violation.
The offensive team has eight seconds now instead of 10 to advance the ball past the midcourt line.
The hand-check guidelines have been changed to allow for incidental contact as long as it doesn't impede the offensive player.
The way these new rules will be interpreted is largely in the hands of those who call them, so nba.com went to the highest authority - the NBA's director of officiating, Ed Rush - to get the inside information on adapting to the changes. Here's what he had to say:

How are the new rules going to change the pace of the game?

Rush: The two rules changes that are most meaningful are the defensive three-second rule and the eight-second backcourt rule. The defensive three seconds puts a premium on defensive quickness and movement. As we see the rule, it encourages more ball movement and puts a demand on both offense and defense to move and play the game at a quicker pace.

Defenses will now be able to double-team Shaq before he gets the ball.

AP Photo
How are you working with officials to implement the new rules?

Rush: The implementation of these changes occurred during our summer training sessions and preseason meetings and we carried this over to our web site plays. During our preseason meetings, the entire staff had the opportunity to review numerous videotape examples of these plays. The preseason games will be closely monitored and videotape will be reviewed.

What sort of challenges do the officials face with implementing the new rules?

Rush: The specifics of the defensive three-second rule says that a defender may not be in the 16-foot lane for more than three seconds without actively guarding an opponent. The incidental contact clarification applies to a one-on-one play when the offensive player has the ball. The purpose of the rule is to reward the offensive player who demonstrates quickness, speed, and balance. We have asked the officials, when administering plays to the basket, to allow the offensive player an opportunity to demonstrate the athletic factors of quickness and speed.

How will the new rules affect the officiating of bigger post players?

Rush: The new rules only affect post players if they are double-teamed by the defense. The defense may double-team any player at any time. With the old illegal defense guidelines, a player could not be double-teamed unless he had the ball.

How long will it take officials to instinctively stop looking for illegal defenses?

Rush: The officials have adapted to the rule changes during summer training and have eliminated the illegal defense guidelines from their mindset.

What type of player do you feel the new rules will benefit?

Rush: These rules will reward a quick, athletic player. It also puts a greater reward on the player who is fundamentally sound with good passing and shooting skills.

What kinds of defenses do you anticipate seeing and in what situations?

Rush: We anticipate teams playing mostly man-to-man but to use some combination defenses in certain situations. It would be expected that teams would want to change the pace or approach to the game with a change in their defensive approach.

my opinion is javey and some of these refs couldnt call games correct before this so who the hell really knows what will happen?

lines will be adjusted im sure very quickly if need be.im guessin certain teams are gonna benefit from this or not but just saying overall theres gonna be more points i wouldnt go that far..

seems to me like old malone and some big older guys are gonna get caught campin' in the lane.goofy motumbo etc..maybe they changed the rules to favor the wizards?
smile.gif

hell i dont know but it should be interesting.first half points by utah last two games.. 31 and 25?? what the hell is that all about?
its just preseason ... its just preseason...

nice run of late JT!..keep her crankin'
biggrin.gif

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg