NHL on TSN and NHL Broadcasts - Not capping related, but...

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
Just curious what your opinions are about their broadcasts? Through the godsend that is NHL Centre Ice I've seen quite a few of the TSN broadcasts this year.

Personally, I find the studio host incredibly annoying. It is like they try to be HNIC with an "edge" or something.

Also, Pierre McGuire just irritates me for some reason. He often gives great info and insight doing the color commentary, but that is negated by the fact that he seems to pick one guy per game to have an absolutely love fest over and just goes on and on about him the whole game. Oh, and forget McGuire being impartial if they are doing a Pens game.

Another thing, who do you think is the best NHL broadcast team? Either National broadcast or local guys. How about worst?

Spock

Vulcan Visitor
Forum Member
Nov 1, 2001
Canada
find it better to mute the TV and watch rather than hear these overpaid jokers blabber.

spits

Forum Member
Nov 30, 2000
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Junkie....I agree...TSN's host James Duthie is trying to stand-up and be a host at the same time and comes off as terribly annoying. You can tell he is just trying too hard.

Pierre MacGuire is not a good colour guy. He was OK as an analyst in the studio between periods...but colour is just not his thing in my opinion.

Best play-by-play guys in the NHL that I have heard:

Bob Cole (CBC) , Chris Cuthbert (CBC), Jim Hughson (Sportsnet)
Ken Daniels (Detroit Red Wings)

Guys I like to hear every so often

LA Kings - Bob Miller
Chicago - Forget his name
Washington - Don;t know his name
Buffalo - Rick Jeanneret - although he starts to get annoying
Pittsburgh - Mike Lange - only when there is a goal LOL
Philly - Mike Emrick

Absolutely hate Sam Rosen of the MSG network and Gord Miller of TSN.

SPITS

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ddubs

Let's Go Boilers!!!
Forum Member
Oct 22, 2000
The Windy City
My 2 favs are Bob Miller (surprise, surprise, being a Kings fan), and Gary Thorne. Love their enthusiasm in broadcasting the games.

Just not the same watching a Kings game without hearing "He shoots, he SCORES!!" Although Jimmy Foxx kinda bugs me.:shrug:

trademaster

Forum Member
Jul 13, 2002
Vancouver BC
NHL on TSN bites...why in the blue hell did they pick Duthie to be host:confused: i thought dave randoff should have been picked

Pierre McGuire is the only good thing he knows what hes saying maybe hets get to u cuz of the french accent...bob cole & harry neale are so biased towards the leafs so they need to go I don't mind neale supporting the leafs when there on tsn or new vr cuz that is the local tv but when it is going nationally he should be less bias towards the leafs

on another topic the Ilses host on fox sports is nice to look at :jump:

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
I like the CBC guys too, and Jim Hughson. I like John Davidson too. I also get a kick out the guys who do the Dallas games, especially when they leave the mics open during stopages and bicker with each other. Of course, I am partial to Craig Laughlin who does the color for Caps games.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Fan@tic

Forum Member
Sep 30, 2002
Toronto
TSN is OK

TSN is OK

Yo yo peoples!! Best of luck to all with their picks today.
TSN is okay! I used to watch it a lot but now I like Sportsnet (Channel 22 in Toronto)!! It's a much better show, especially with Mike Toth hosting it. He's da man!!! The Score is also a pretty good channel for highlights and their 24/7 sports ticker...f^^k the announcers!

Peace