NHL predictions 2 weeks late

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
Here's something I wrote back 2 weeks ago. I didn't post it *here* at that time, but anyways.. better later then never. I didn't change anything in the text, even though I was tempted to do so because there's a guy named "Roman Turek" who's making me look like a fool right now. But I left everything there:

Early predictions.....

() = Rank in Conference

EASTERN CONFERENCE
N-East
-----------------
1.Ottawa (2)
2.Toronto (5)
3.Buffalo
4.Boston
5.Montreal

Atlantic
-----------------
1.New Jersey (3)
2.Philadelphia (4)
3.NYIslanders (6)
4.Pittsburgh (7)
5.NYRangers (8)

South-East
-----------------
1.Washington (1)
2.Florida
3.Carolina
4.Tampa Bay
5.Atlanta

The main reason why I expect Washington to clinch the #1 seed is its easy schedule. Of course, the mega-addition of Jaromir Jagr sure won't do any harm, but being part of an extremely pathetic division, the easy schedule remains the main reason. Thing is, while I still consider New Jersey to be the #1 team in the East, it might be a real war in the Atlantic division and for that reason I don't think the Devils will finish on top this year. The 2 NY teams are my long shots... especially the Islanders. They made some good moves this summer and I have a good feel for this team.

It might be a bit late now, but if you take the time to do a little shopping, I saw some offshores still offering the Caps at 20-1 to win the Cup. I recommend this bet, however I don't suggest to bet on anything below that.

I also suggest to take advantage of the underrated Flyers. If you can still find 14-1, jump on it right now as the odds should slowly fall down in the months to come.

As for my high expectations on Ottawa, it's only that I think this team has a lot to offer even without Alexei Yashin, well as long as it's not playoff time anyways. You can't deny the fact that they have a lot of depth. Note that if they can't sign Alfredsson and Hossa by the beginning of the season, then it'll be a whole different story as we're talking about 2 very important right wingers here. Note: They're now both signed

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Central
-----------------
1.St-Louis (2)
2.Detroit (4)
3.Nashville (7)
4.Chicago
5.Columbus

North West
-----------------
1.Colorado (1)
2.Vancouver (8)
3.Edmonton
4.Calgary
5.Minnesota

Pacific
-----------------
1.Dallas (3)
2.Los Angeles (5)
3.San Jose (6)
4.Phoenix
5.Anaheim

Despite having one of the top 5 goalies in their lineup (in my mind), the Oilers should fail to clinch a playoff spot this year. Doug Weight's departure will hurt. I expect Nashville to be the upset of the West as I see a team becoming more and more mature, believing in its defensive system, and counting on a top goaltender in Mike Dunham. Colorado should be very hard to beat again this year despite Bourque's retirement. I mean look at the lineup... Only New Jersey has a better team
wink.gif
However I don't know how well the magic pills Patrick Roy took last year will do this time.

Finally, watch out for Freddie Brathwaite in St-Louis. This guy is a lot better than you might think. A lot better than Turek anyhow. But then again, it's only my opinion... we'll see. And just in case he doesn't do the job, Brent Johnson has proven to be a solid goaltender as well. Nobody "dares" to say it - mainly because of the lack of experience (especially playoff experience) - but I'll dare: St-Louis has the best goaltending tandem in the league. Add to this the best defense in the NHL and a very respectable offense (Weight's arrival should easily replace Turgeon's departure), the Blues might be tougher than ever to beat, and I expect them to finish ahead Detroit despite the many interesting additions in hockey-town.

Bet on MyBookie