Not off to a good start but...

barry_virus

Forum Member
Feb 28, 2005
Watching this Giants game here. I feel it is going to be a long year in SF, and Alou made a very questionable move but it is probably going to be their season in a nutshell.

Giants get Eaton on the ropes, have runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. Schmidt has already got to 104 pitches and Alou lets him hit. What kind of message does that send to his team?

A) a 104 pitch Jason Schmidt is better than anybody fresh out of my bullpen. While he has thrown well, this is a team that has talked all week about needing the big 2 out hit and had a players only meeting called by Omar Vizquel today. He has a left handed hitting batter in Lance Niekro or Michael Tucker on the bench, that could possibly force Bochy to remove Eaton, or setup the lefty righty matchup. But he lets Schmidt hit and he promptly strkikes out. I don't know how much better Bonds makes this team. The lineup is slower than old people porking, and I feel they have one of the worst bullpens in baseball. I wish I had sweetened up my preseason prop for under their win total. But hopefully catching little things like this in games will help down the road. Hope I provided some decent insight.

Schmidt gives up big 2 out double, and his pitch count is now up to 128. I would think whomever he faces in his next game may have some good value.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
Alou made the right move, It's april, save the pen,+ he got the w, just shows he has a plan and sticks with it,you can't win every night and what can he come back with tomorrow, the next day and the next, just like gambling...A win like that can send a team in the right direction for a few days. Would not bet against them wed.

Last edited:

barry_virus

Forum Member
Feb 28, 2005
I would rather save Schmidt than that pen, but it worked out for him in the end. (Even with Benitez trying to give it up too) I still think it is going to be a long year for them, but I appreciate everyone's insight. I could not lay anything with Tim Redding, but do not feel good about Sherrif Woody (Reuter) as he has struggled mightily as well. I just cringe everytime I see that bullpen up and throwing or asking some of the guys in the middle of that lineup to continually get clutch hits. Yes it is early but that is my take. Even the best in this business are wrong 45% of the time and this could very well be part of that percentage or better!

:drinky:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
Bet on MyBookie