Oct/3 hockey

Mr.

Director
Forum Member
Nov 22, 1999
Toronto, ON
two plays for me 1 unit each

pittsburgh +.5 -115
who wouldn't be pumped to play on their team here? 1st game w/out jagr and against the stanley cup champs...i'll take the half puck any day...to boot they have i think a 19-7-3 record on home openers...

toronto/ottawa over 5.5 +100
salo/phillips out for ottawa and toronto got better on O and worse on D....should be an over

cheers

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
play very small at the start of the year, last year got off on a terrible losing streak.

playing
edmonton/calgary under 5.5 in the past two years the under was the way to go in this matchup.

thanks
selkirk

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
I think I am on that one too, Selkirk. The loss of a lot of goal and point production for both teams in the offseason makes me think this will be the first of many unders for both the Oilers and the Flames. Good luck to you. I also am leaning towards -5.5 in TOR/OTT. Lalime and Cujo in goal, no more Yashin, and O/U 35-50 last year for TOR and 17-24 at home.

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
This is what I am taking tonight.

EDM/CLG -5.5 (-130) .65 to win .5 Units

Both teams lost significant contributors in both goals and points and didn't really add anything to replace them. Weight is a big loss for EDM, and even with Bure and Stillman (40+ goals and 100+ goals combined and traded in the last year), the Flames were one of the worst scoring teams in the league. Salo is good and the Flames definitely improved at G with Turek. That matchup and the lack of any proven offensive production makes me like the under in this one.

COL/PIT -6 (-110) .55 to win .5 Units

Give me Roy and a total under 6 anytime. In addition to the fact that COL has a good D and outstanding goaltending, I really don't think that 1st line of Beech, Lemieux and Richer are going to be very productive right off the bat. They have a good 2nd line, but losing a 4 time Hart trophy winner, 52 goals and 69 assists in Jagr is going to hurt the Pens a lot on offense. Boughner is a good addition for them on the blue line and should help them have an improved defense. I always like having to have 7 goals to lose, so -6 looks good here. I am also taking COL -.5 (+100) .5 to win .5 Units in this game.

Also, I may add TOR/OTT -5.5. I am torn cuz I like the matchup of Lalime vs. Cujo, and OTT lacks the offense of last year with Yashin gone. But they have a couple of key defenseman out and the addition of Molginy improves Toronto's offense. Probably will pass on that. Plus, I don't want to take the under on every game on the board. Don't want to push it.

An explanation on how I wager. I always play "to win" 1 unit. So on a -130 line I am laying 1.3 to win 1 unit. I don't change that cuz I always get burned going bigger on a game I feel more strongly on. As my bankroll increases (hopefully), that 1 unit might be bigger though. Rarely I will do a "what the hell" parlay of 4-5 teams for $10 or $20, but I do not do that much in NHL. HOWEVER, for the first couple of weeks I am playing 1/2 a unit on everything until I get a better feel for the teams with all of the offseason movement. Good luck to everyone.

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
Hmm, don't know what I was thinking saying Jagr was 4 time Hart winner, I meant scoring champ, and Boughner in PIT? Huh? I'll take the 3-0 results though. Man, Turek was phenomenal last night. Looks like a pretty good night all around for the forum. Let's get 'em again today. Good luck everyone.

Bet on MyBookie