OFFICIAL MNF POST

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Pkorkis

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Please, unlike some other MNF posts, lets keep this strictly focused on MNF, and not on avatars or katrina media focus...w/ that said...

- Atlanta - Rushing attack is absolutely insane. They are avg'ing 279 ypg. This ran against two of the premiere defenses in the league, Carolina & Tampa Bay. Granted they might not have been playing their best Defense against Atlanta, these are still two good defenses and Atlanta rushing for 250+ in each of its two games with a 6.1ypc :scared is not a fluke.

- Saints - neither big nor physical on defense. Falcons OL, although not great, is big enough to handle Saints D and Justin Griffith (FB) is a great fullback that allows Warrick to run all over the place. And w/ the running game crushing opposing Defenses, the Saints will have to bring a safety into the box to try and stop that game, leaving one safety to beat for Alge Crumpler. Alge could have a huge game if the Saints are forced to bring in extra men into the box to stop ATL's run.

- Atlanta - Defense was improved w/ the addition of Abraham (questionable - don't see him missing a MNF chance to prove what ESPN & company have been saying is the best front 4 in the league). And w/ gaps getting shut down by Coleman/Jackson, that enables Brooking and Milloy to play their positions and not have to come up and crowd the box to stop Deuce & Reggie (and w/ FB Karney questionable, that will make it even harder for the Saints to run the ball). So with an already weak running game for NO (99ypg), the offense will have to depends on the Saints passing game, and to be one-dimensional against a fast Defense like ATL is bad news...
...Saints passing game has been good right? one would think so at 254ypg w/ 59.7% completion percentage. BUT, this was against two "highly feared" (...a joke) defenses of the Packers (292passing ypg) & Browns (248.5ypg). Whereas so far, Atlanta has had a passing defense (230ypg). Not MUCH better, but better, and w/ their rushing defense at 52.5ypg, the Saints will have to pass to score against the ATL Defense.

- Saints OL - Left Tackle Jammal Brown (2nd year player) is going to have issues against Abraham (who should play). According to what i've read on espn, Brown has issues against speed rushers (Abraham is exactly that). And even further, Coleman will most likely have to be double teamed or else Brees will be rushed most of the game. Unless the Saints keep a few extra blockers in that pocket to protect Brees, ATL DL should be putting on a clinic against the Saints OL, who is at best, mediocre.

- Saints comeback to the Superdome - It's a good thing for the people of NO and will def. create an emotional pump in the Saints locker room. But I just don't see emotions elevating a weak Saints team for 4 quarters. Perhaps the 1st quarter, and possibly even the whole first half. But to rely on emotions for 4 quarters is unreasonable. And I keep hearing how pumped up the FANS will be, but the fans can only do so much. They aren't the ones out on the field and aren't the ones getting hit by Brooking, Hall, and Kerney. When its all said and done, I just don't see an emotional charge being the diff. between a win & a loss w/ a weaker team like the Saints.

Taking a smaller play on Atlanta -4...

Opinions?
GL!:thumb:

Pkorkis

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2004
oh, and Michael Vick has never lost to the Saints as a starter...5-0

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
Various Sources:

Falcons coach Jim Mora holds numerous ties to the city considering his father coached the Saints to their first playoff appearance in the team's history. The younger Mora also coached under his father later during his dad's tenure.

Besides their heroic opening victory against the Carolina Panthers in Week 1, nothing really went as scripted for the Saints last season.

Jim Haslett coached his last season with the Saints, guiding them to a disappointing 3-13 season. The team had no permanent home, playing virtually 16 road games.

The Saints' temporary home in San Antonio was nothing like being at home.

"When we first got to San Antonio, we had a locker room in one area of the Alamodome, then they moved us to a different area of the Alamodome later on because there was a home show or something," (S Steve) Gleason said. "Then the NCAA volleyball tournament came and then we had to get dressed in a baseball dugout."

Weightlifting sessions occurred at an area Gold's Gym. That was a 20-minute drive from where the team would practice. The team had to do pregame walkthroughs in a parking lot. An inconvenience nonetheless.

"You don't realize how good you have it until it's gone," defensive tackle Willie Whitehead said. "I don't take anything for granted now. I thank God just to be here and not displaced somewhere like so many others. We were roughing it last year."

Less than half the current roster played for the Saints the last time the team played on its home turf. The return for those who graced the artificial surface will be an emotional one to say the least.

"When you look down during the national anthem, you are going to see a lot of guys with tears in there eyes," defensive end Charles Grant said. "A lot of things happened in that Superdome that a lot of people in the world will never go through in their lifetime."

(CB Fred) Thomas said all the depressing emotions and heartache are gone, but not forgotten. But it's those feelings that will drive him come Monday night.

He said he hasn't watched TV or read the newspapers because it's all anyone is talking about. He wants to be focused to beat the Falcons. Then, he said, he would take it all in.

"Even those who are still struggling are riding high because we are 2-0," (CB Fred) Thomas said. "We don't need to do anything different on the field. We just need to play the type of football that we know we can play. We don't need heroes. Just go out and play football. It's going to be exciting. Everywhere I go, everybody is talking about it."

(S Steve) Gleason said it's not just a love for the team that is driving him to succeed once the Dome opens for business on Monday. It's a deep connection with what the city and what the return represents that inspires him.

Television, newspaper and radio reports have streamed from New Orleans since the beginning of the week, telling stories of the city's recovery from Hurricane Katrina and emotional significance of the Saints' homecoming to the Superdome on Monday night against the Falcons.

Hundreds of media already are in the Crescent City. The Falcons, meanwhile, have operated in relative obscurity.

We love this," Falcons coach Jim Mora told the two reporters who attended Friday's practice.

Atlanta (2-0) has gone about its business this week with fewer distractions than at just about any other point since the opening of camp. There has been no additional media or other ancillary requests that could take some of the focus off the task of playing an unbeaten team for the early lead in the NFC South.

"It's almost a Super Bowl-caliber type of game," quarterback Michael Vick said. "As the Atlanta Falcons, we're compassionate for the city of New Orleans, the whole state of Louisiana as far as what happened. I know they're excited about having football back in the Superdome. We're excited to have an opportunity to play there.

"It's going to be a game of high magnitude, but when both teams get out there we have jobs to do. We can't feed into all the hype. We have to just go out and try to give everybody a great showing."

Safety Lawyer Milloy said Falcons players made a point of choosing their words carefully this week, so as to not offend anyone who was affected by Katrina. He also said the Falcons are prepared for the intense early emotions of playing in a game that means so much more than football to so many people.

Said tight end Alge Crumpler: "The thing about all the guys we have, they have so much experience so you don't worry about those guys. You don't worry about the Lawyers, Grady Jacksons, Rod Colemans. ... You worry about the younger guys. In our situation, our younger guys got a lot of work last year so those guys are battle-tested and more prepared for just about any situation now."

With so much focus on Atlanta's run game and Saints newcomers Drew Brees and Reggie Bush, there is a common thread linking both undefeated teams: defense.

Atlanta ranks 11th overall in yards allowed (283), one spot ahead of New Orleans (285).

"They are very disciplined, which is something they haven't always been in the past," Crumpler said. "They've always had great athletes. ... It seemed like they were a little undisciplined at times and we were able to exploit that."

Where the defensive thread is snapped is points allowed. Atlanta ranks fourth in the NFL, surrendering nine points. The Saints have given up 41. New Orleans also has allowed five touchdowns. The Falcons have not yielded one, a first in franchise history after two games.

Hartwell, Abraham still not practicing . . . The Falcons downgraded middle linebacker Ed Hartwell (knees) to doubtful. Defensive end John Abraham (groin) remains questionable. Neither has practiced this week.

GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ryanmcgwyer

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2004
Baton Rouge LA
great write up

great write up

Saints are 2-0 both quality road wins. Remember Green Bay beat the 50 something to 3 last season and we saw Sunday that CLE is not that bad. Put the saints at home plus 3.5 add the emotion and sense of urgency, new coach. It equals a large Saints money line play. Don't bet on the past bet on the circumstances surrounding tonights game, and the athletes on the field tonight.

Papa G

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2005
What gives tonight?

What gives tonight?

Saints are 3-1 vs. Falcons the last 4 meetings. Falcons are 1-5 ATS as road team on Monday nights

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Toledo Prophet

Forum Member
Oct 5, 2005
Toledo, Ohio
Trolling the web last week for football nuggets, morsels and info revealed the following system:

MNF homes teams off back to back road games are 50-34-1, 58.8%

If opponent is off a home game, 36-18-1, 65.4%

If opponent is also off a DD win, 20-6-1, 74%

That would favor the Saints.....ATL is 19-2 ATS in their last 21 games in the SuperDome, but i really like the numbers from the above system.

I was taking NO anyway....yeah, i am caught up in the emotion of their return.....but i think the addition of Brees gives NO a legit chance to battle for a playoff spot this year and maybe all that offensive talent wont go to waste like in the past when they had a ho-hum coach (Haslett) and a clown QB (Brooks) who constantly betrayed that talent with terrible play.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Pkorkis

Forum Member
Oct 14, 2004
I don't ever like being on the opposite side of cappers on this board but I just can't put my money on the Saints. I think any other day (w/out the Superdome emotion) most of this board would say this is an easy pick, I just don't see it I guess :shrug: GL guys, but I'm afraid I'm on the other side for this one.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Don Wallace

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Well, have you considered passing on the game? I am. Because theres really nothing that points to Atlanta here. I dont want to back the Saints ........not uinless I could +7 or more, but I certainly wouldnt play against a MNF homedog on this kinda stage.

Wise and Wiser

Here Until 5K
Forum Member
Jan 17, 2003
On The Other Side
Yeah, that's impressive. How about this one?

The Falcons are 34-4 ATS in their last 38 games when they rush for more than 150 yards in their previous game. That's 89% fellas!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Well, have you considered passing on the game? I am. Because theres really nothing that points to Atlanta here. I dont want to back the Saints ........not uinless I could +7 or more, but I certainly wouldnt play against a MNF homedog on this kinda stage.

i was just gonna say the same thing as you. I see points on this game where i could take either team. In my younger days i would force this bet. Not now. I will pass on this or assess it a little better at halftime. I had a very good week so there is no need to force this play to chance a loss. If i was down i would just pay my man and move on. To force a play and go into a bigger hole is not my cup of tea anymore. PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE IS THE KEY TO WINNING.

The Sponge

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2006
Atlanta is 17 - 2 ATS vs Saints at road. ! is that impressive or what ?:scared

For every trend if you dig deep enough im sure you could find another trend for the other side. Just not into trend players.

GOLFSTUD

Forum Member
Oct 15, 2004
Ohio
I agree.
Under all the way.
Why aren't more people talking about the under?
Atlanta has allowed 9 points in 2 games and is a running team.